• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Madrid Airport to Estacion Sur

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Looking for the best way to get from Madrid Airport to the bus station at Estacion Sur. Our flight lands in Madrid at 11.45 and our bus leaves at 14.30. We will just have cabin baggage. I don't want to take a taxi if I don't have to because of the cost.
Thanks for any advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The easiest thing to do is to go on google maps when you arrive and look up your destination. It gives up to date "next available routes" for public transportation. I use it anytime I have to navigate public transportation. If you miss one bus or train - it will update to the next bus/train.

Then for town to town travel - rome2rio is the way to go for directions via public transportation options.

Looking for the best way to get from Madrid Airport to the bus station at Estacion Sur. Our flight lands in Madrid at 11.45 and our bus leaves at 14.30. We will just have cabin baggage. I don't want to take a taxi if I don't have to because of the cost.
Thanks for any advice.
Take the metro.
Edited to add: Taxis from the airport are fixed price €30 (at least that was the price in September).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The easiest thing to do is to go on google maps when you arrive and look up your destination. It gives up to date "next available routes" for public transportation. I use it anytime I have to navigate public transportation. If you miss one bus or train - it will update to the next bus/train.

Then for town to town travel - rome2rio is the way to go for directions via public transportation options.
Thank you

Take the metro.
Edited to add: Taxis from the airport are fixed price €30 (at least that was the price in September).
You can take the Metro from the Madrid airport to the stop “Nuevos Ministerios” and then change subway lines directly to “Méndez Alvaro” which is located in the Estación Sur bus station. I usually exit the subway briefly at Nuevos Ministerios as there is a Corte Ingles directly above the subway station and the sporting good store Decathalon right next door. I buy my walking poles and snacks/sandwiches for the bus ride there and then go back downstairs on the subway to get to the bus station.

You can take the Metro from the Madrid airport to the stop “Nuevos Ministerios” and then change subway lines directly to “Méndez Alvaro” which is located in the Estación Sur bus station. I usually exit the subway briefly at Nuevos Ministerios as there is a Corte Ingles directly above the subway station and the sporting good store Decathalon right next door. I buy my walking poles and snacks/sandwiches for the bus ride there and then go back downstairs on the subway to get to the bus station.
Thank you. That's very helpful. Do you buy 1 subway ticket for the whole journey and where do you buy the ticket?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are ticket machines in every metro station. If you are going to get out and do your shopping en route, you'll need 2 tickets, otherwise one will do. Tickets from the airport are €3 more expensive than the usual single ticket, but one will cover the whole journey.

There are ticket machines in every metro station. If you are going to get out and do your shopping en route, you'll need 2 tickets, otherwise one will do. Tickets from the airport are €3 more expensive than the usual single ticket, but one will cover the whole journey.
Thank you

Right before the metro entrance in the Madrid airport there are ticket machines and a ticket booth/counter. I bought the Multi metro card (the red one) , and it holds whatever amount in Euros you choose. You just waive it at the turnstile and go through. That way I can take multiple trips as long as I have a balance on the card. When I return to Madrid then I don’t have to worry about tickets. My whole family/travel party shares the same card we just hand it back to each other as we go through the turnstile. I have a friend in Spain using my metro card right now and he’ll “top off” the card with some euros for my Camino Madrid trip this September.DE874518-15D2-4B97-AA16-2D0079E4BBB4.jpeg

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I forgot to say there is an “add on”when you come back to the airport unless you specifically buy a subway ticket for the airport. You pay it at the top of the stairs at the machine, and it’s only a couple of euros.

If you arrive in T-4 by far the best option is Cercanias, the commuter rail. Line C-1 goes straight to Estación Sur (stop is Méndez Álvaro). This is much easier than the metro, which requires a change in Nuevos Ministerios, which is an enormous metro station. The metro, unlike the Cercanias, is also likely to have a bunch of pickpockets looking for jet-lagged foreigners.

If you arrive in T1 or T2, you would have to take the intra-airport bus to get to T4 and Cercanias.

This is by far the quickest and cheapest way. If you get behind with your time take a taxi from Nuevos Ministerios

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It looks like that bus station is fairly close to the Attocha Train. There is a bus (number 203) that goes from the Madrid Airport right to Attocha. Evidently, it is a 23 minute walk from Attocha to Sur

Right before the metro entrance in the Madrid airport there are ticket machines and a ticket booth/counter. I bought the Multi metro card (the red one) , and it holds whatever amount in Euros you choose. You just waive it at the turnstile and go through. That way I can take multiple trips as long as I have a balance on the card. When I return to Madrid then I don’t have to worry about tickets. My whole family/travel party shares the same card we just hand it back to each other as we go through the turnstile. I have a friend in Spain using my metro card right now and he’ll “top off” the card with some euros for my Camino Madrid trip this September.View attachment 143116
What a brilliant idea! Thanks 😊

I forgot to say there is an “add on”when you come back to the airport unless you specifically buy a subway ticket for the airport. You pay it at the top of the stairs at the machine, and it’s only a couple of euros.
Thanks. We're flying home from Porto and will take the bus from Santiago, but good to know for future trips.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you arrive in T-4 by far the best option is Cercanias, the commuter rail. Line C-1 goes straight to Estación Sur (stop is Méndez Álvaro). This is much easier than the metro, which requires a change in Nuevos Ministerios, which is an enormous metro station. The metro, unlike the Cercanias, is also likely to have a bunch of pickpockets looking for jet-lagged foreigners.

If you arrive in T1 or T2, you would have to take the intra-airport bus to get to T4 and Cercanias.
Thanks so much. We should arrive in T1 (travelling with Ryanair). We'll get the intra-airport bus as you say, to T4.

The Cercanias sounds like a good bet. I think I'd prefer to not have to change. I've used the ticket machines at the train station in Malaga before now, so assuming they're similar in Madrid, we should be fine.

I've used the ticket machines at the train station in Malaga before now, so assuming they're similar in Madrid, we should be fine.
They are the standard Cercanías machines, but just in case, there is an office there with real people to help you out if things get messed up.

The intra-airport bus will add some time to your total trip, but you then go non-stop, in an uncrowded comfortable train car. The Cercanías trip takes about 35 minutes, and the trains come every 15 minutes. Either line, C-1 or C-10, will take you there.

The intra-airport bus runs every 5 minutes, the trip takes about 8 minutes, and the airport’s website says that from T1 to T4 the bus leaves on Floor 1. You will arrive in T4 on the departure level, which then means getting down to the basement where Renfe is.

The metro journey is calculated to take about 45 minutes, so it may actually be a bit quicker, but much less comfortable. And I am not a nervous nelly, but there are always pickpockets on the metro from the airport to Nuevos Ministerios, and when it’s crowded it could be a bit intimidating.

Attachments

• 6A1CD06E-D70A-462A-8729-DD5CF3EE9DBB.png
    6A1CD06E-D70A-462A-8729-DD5CF3EE9DBB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
They are the standard Cercanías machines, but just in case, there is an office there with real people to help you out if things get messed up.

The intra-airport bus will add some time to your total trip, but you then go non-stop, in an uncrowded comfortable train car. The Cercanías trip takes about 35 minutes, and the trains come every 15 minutes. Either line, C-1 or C-10, will take you there.

The intra-airport bus runs every 5 minutes, the trip takes about 8 minutes, and the airport’s website says that from T1 to T4 the bus leaves on Floor 1. You will arrive in T4 on the departure level, which then means getting down to the basement where Renfe is.

The metro journey is calculated to take about 45 minutes, so it may actually be a bit quicker, but much less comfortable. And I am not a nervous nelly, but there are always pickpockets on the metro from the airport to Nuevos Ministerios, and when it’s crowded it could be a bit intimidating.
Thank you so much. I think we'll go with this choice. Now let's hope that the flight is on time!🙄🤞

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Right before the metro entrance in the Madrid airport there are ticket machines and a ticket booth/counter. I bought the Multi metro card (the red one) , and it holds whatever amount in Euros you choose. You just waive it at the turnstile and go through. That way I can take multiple trips as long as I have a balance on the card. When I return to Madrid then I don’t have to worry about tickets. My whole family/travel party shares the same card we just hand it back to each other as we go through the turnstile. I have a friend in Spain using my metro card right now and he’ll “top off” the card with some euros for my Camino Madrid trip this September.View attachment 143116
This is VERY helpful. I need to get to estacion sur and was wondering how to do that from the airport. I need to get to Avila. Guessing I need 1 ticket from airport to estacion sur and another from estacion sur to Avila. Hoping to travel mostly by bus to avoid getting lost.

This is VERY helpful. I need to get to estacion sur and was wondering how to do that from the airport. I need to get to Avila. Guessing I need 1 ticket from airport to estacion sur and another from estacion sur to Avila. Hoping to travel mostly by bus to avoid getting lost.
You can buy the one way tickets there from the machines or the people in the ticket booth. If you choose the machines they usually have staff standing nearby to help. I buy my refillable red card from the booth, usually.
Buen Camino!

Thank you so much! Since writing last, I'm now considering metro to Principe Pio (direct from T4) and then Avila from there (also metro I believe). Does that sound right? Otherwise, I may be stuck at the bus station for 3 hours on Sunday. I hope it's clear where to get off. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m not seeing the metro to Avila (I may be missing it) but there seems to be a variety of trains or there are buses from Jimenez Dorado Autocares. The subway is very easy to use in Madrid whether going to Estacion Sur or Principe Pio. If I had to choose between the bus and train and was worried about getting lost, the bus is the better choice. The buses generally get you closer to the city centers. The toughest part for me with the buses is they don’t always mark which bus bay the bus leaves from well, and they don’t always stay there that long. (Avenida America bus station in Madrid for example is terrible at their posting of the bays) Don’t be shy in talking to their personnel as to the when/where to board the bus!

I’m not seeing the metro to Avila (I may be missing it) but there seems to be a variety of trains or there are buses from Jimenez Dorado Autocares. The subway is very easy to use in Madrid whether going to Estacion Sur or Principe Pio. If I had to choose between the bus and train and was worried about getting lost, the bus is the better choice. The buses generally get you closer to the city centers. The toughest part for me with the buses is they don’t always mark which bus bay the bus leaves from well, and they don’t always stay there that long. (Avenida America bus station in Madrid for example is terrible at their posting of the bays) Don’t be shy in talking to their personnel as to the when/where to board the bus!
Thanks! Do you know if there is a direct metro to Principe Pio from the airport (T4)? It sounds like from Principe Pio to Avila might be a train not metro? It's all so overwhelming.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you! I also just discovered there is ONE bus that leaves direct to Avila from the airport. I saw 17:30 on their schedule but some random posts say it's at 14:00. Anyone know how reliable this one bus is?

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back