• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel from Madrid airport to St. Jean Pied de Port

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A way can be.- Perhaps the more easy.-

Madrid-Pamplona.- By bus, train or airplane

Roncesvalles- St. Jean Pied de Port by taxi.

Or PAMPLONA- ST. JEAN PIED DE PORT BY ............TAXI

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Javier is correct and there have been a number of posts previously on this. Like me some other users managed to get a really cheap flight from Madrid to Pamplona - then the 6pm bus to Roncevalles then a taxi over the mountain to St JdPP.

When I flew into Madrid in July, I was going to fly to Pamplona, but I had a problem with "backtracking" over territory that I would cover on foot. So I flew to San Sebastian and took a cab to Hendaye. From Hendaye you can buy a ticket to SJPDP. You have to change trains in Bayonne. It was very easy to do, and I liked it because I arrived in SJPDP from France without actually crossing the Pyrenees until my first day of walking. The cost was the same as flying to Pamplona.

Fly/Bus/train to Pamplona. Get to the Pamplona Bus Station and get a van ride with Express Bouricott (check their website; send Caroline an email; she is fantastic and very helpful and responsive to Pilgrims)all the way to SJPDP; 16 Euros when van is full (which that time of the year should be). If you can start from SJPDP, by all means do so.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
BTW, the ride Pamplona-SJPDP will NOT include the large sections of the Camino that crosses the Pyrenees. There is hardly any "backtracking" and if any, it is limited closer to the Pamplona area. You will go by Roncesvalles. I don't see the need to bus/train/bus/taxi when you can bus/van all the way to SJPDP.

What is the correct site for Bus service from Madrid (airport) to Pamplona.
I have seen posts (other sites) that indicate that there is a bus from T4 in the airport...but can't track anything down.
If not from the airport, how to get to bus station from a 2:25 PM arrival in Madrid.

Hi, grayland,
The website movelia.es shows a number of ALSA buses from T4 to Pamplona. If you do a search, type in Aeropuerto de Barajas (madrid) as your origen, and you'll get the available buses. The schedule I see on Movelia has a bus at 3:15 pm and 7:45 pm. Fares about 28 euros.

Good luck with this. Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For an August Wednesday:

Aeropuerto madrid-barajas t4 - Pamplona 21/09/2011
« Ver día anterior · Ver día siguiente »

(You can sort the table by clicking on the header of the column you wish to sort by)
station of origin station of destination departure arrival Duration retail price departure retail price Return departure offer round trip offer service seats itinerary observations
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 01:15 06:30 5h 15min 28,37€ 56,74€ 1 change
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 10:45 15:31 4h 46min 28,37€ 56,74€1 change
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 11:15 18:15 7h 00min 28,83€ 54,63€1 change
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 20:15 5h 00min 28,37€ 56,74€1 change
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 21:15 6h 00min 29,81€ 56,59€ 1 change
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 19:45 00:45 +1day 5h 00min 36,90€ 71,50€ 1 change

Please bear with me, I am a noob to the forum and fumbling my way about in the dark a little as i orient myself to info strings. We will hopefully be 4 (3 family & our priest) next year. We can get our cheapest tickets Liverpool to Madrid, but we have 4 MTB's (hard tail mountain bikes). We need to get from Madrid to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Any advice (?) or are we best flying Paris and then train down to the begining for us?

We will also need to return from Santiago to Madrid with bikes. :?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Torrent1964 said:
Please bear with me, I am a noob to the forum and fumbling my way about in the dark a little as i orient myself to info strings. We will hopefully be 4 (3 family & our priest) next year. We can get our cheapest tickets Liverpool to Madrid, but we have 4 MTB's (hard tail mountain bikes). We need to get from Madrid to Saint Jean Pied de Port. Any advice (?) or are we best flying Paris and then train down to the begining for us?

We will also need to return from Santiago to Madrid with bikes. :?

Anyone... Any helpful hints?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am flying to Madrid at the end of August and trying to get to SJPP. I went to movelia.es and selected the Madrid airport as the Origin (AEROPUERTO MADRID/BARAJAS) but when i went to Destination i could not find Pamplona. Am I missing something?

From ALSA:
Sta Of Origin Sta Of Dest Dep Arr Duration Retail Price Departure Retail Price Return From To Days
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 01:15 06:30 5h 15min 28.92€ 57.84€ 19/04/2010 31/12/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 10:45 15:30 4h 45min 28.92€ 57.84€ 12/04/2010 31/12/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 11:15 17:15 6h 00min 30.37€ 57.68€ 12/09/2011 15/06/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 11:15 18:15 7h 00min 29.39€ 55.72€ 12/04/2010 15/09/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 12:45 19:15 6h 30min 29.39€ 55.72€ 23/12/2011 15/06/2012 VD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 12:45 19:30 6h 45min 29.39€ 55.72€ 23/12/2011 15/06/2012 LMXJS
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 20:15 5h 00min 28.92€ 57.84€ 21/02/2011 31/12/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 20:15 5h 00min 28.92€ 57.84€ 21/02/2011 31/12/2012 LMXJVSD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 21:15 6h 00min 30.37€ 57.68€ 01/10/2010 15/09/2012 LMXJS
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 15:15 21:15 6h 00min 30.37€ 57.68€ 01/06/2012 22/06/2012 D
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 19:45 01:00 5h 15min 28.92€ 57.84€ 14/05/2012 31/12/2012 VD
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 19:45 01:00 5h 15min 28.92€ 57.84€ 14/05/2012 31/12/2012 LMXJS
Aeropuerto Madrid-barajas T4 Pamplona 19:45 01:00 5h 15min 28.92€ 57.84€ 14/05/2012 30/06/2012 LMXJ S

BTW, the ride Pamplona-SJPDP will NOT include the large sections of the Camino that crosses the Pyrenees. There is hardly any "backtracking" and if any, it is limited closer to the Pamplona area. You will go by Roncesvalles. I don't see the need to bus/train/bus/taxi when you can bus/van all the way to SJPDP.

I may have missed this somewhere in this section, but has anyone heard of ALSA bus line? A seasoned pilgrim friend suggested that I go to their booth in Madrid airport [ I arrive there 10 SEP 14 ] and get a ticket which will take me to Pamplona and then transfer to another ALSA bus from Pamplona to SJPP.

Anyone know about this? There are so many directions given, I feel "cognitive overload". I love simple.

http://www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabetesCure

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
ALSA is the major bus line of Spain. It has runs from Madrid and the Madrid airport to Pamplona. In the bus station at Pamplona you transfer to the bus that goes to SJPdP. ALSA sells that ticket as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALSA is the major bus line of Spain. It has runs from Madrid and the Madrid airport to Pamplona. In the bus station at Pamplona you transfer to the bus line that goes to SJPdP. ALSA sells that ticket as well, but you will be on a different bus line.

Thank you Falcon269!! Do you know the name of the bus line I would be taking from Pamplona to SJPP that ALSA sells?

Last edited:
Do you know the name of the bus line I would be taking from Pamplona to SJPP that ALSA sells?
ALSA. Artieda has service just to Roncesvalles, but the international route is licensed to ALSA. They are the reason that Express Bourricot has to stop service at the border!

€149,-
Thank you Falcon269!! Do you know the name of the bus line I would be taking from Pamplona to SJPP that ALSA sells?

The bus line that carries from Pamplona to SJPdP is Conda.

Conda is a regional bus company that provides bus service to the Navarra region.

Conda is owned by ALSA and Agreda Automovil.

When you access the schedule page from Conda website you get ALSA schedules.

I'm not sure what you will see on the side of the bus. The Pamplona Bus Station indicates Conda and does not indicate ALSA.

Your ticket (bought in Pamplona) will likely indicate the bus stall in the bus station where your bus will pick up. The sign that is important is the one on the front of the bus where it indicates destination.

Pamplona bus station - Conda information
http://www.estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/La-estacion/Companias-de-autobuses/CONDA,-S-A-.aspx

Conda corporate information
http://www.conda.es/quienes-somos.php?tipo=2&id=382

Agreda Automovil
http://www.agredasa.es/

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en/about-us/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Whariwarangi. This is very helpful.

I am going to make reservations at "Corazon Puro" near Pamplona and they have transport from their albergue to SJPP the next day.

However, if I don't get the reservation [ still waiting to hear back ] then I will know to get CONDA from Pamplona to SJPP thanks to you.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah [ aka ArkBuilder ]

www.facebook.com/TrekCaminoForDiabetesCure

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wife & I , Sept 24th Madrid to St Jean via taxi . Already reserved . Willing to share . 5 hr trip door to door . Gives us more time to acclimate in St Jean

Wife & I , Sept 24th Madrid to St Jean via taxi . Already reserved . Willing to share . 5 hr trip door to door . Gives us more time to acclimate in St Jean

This is a wonderful idea.

Wish I could join in but, I will be 13 days ahead of you.

Anyone else heading to SJPP on 10 or 11 September 2014?

Noah

A Hospitalero sent this Ominbus de ALSA site for me to check their schedule for when I arrive in Madrid on 10 Sep 14 at 08h35.

http://www.alsa.es

It has their entire day's schedule for any date you input into the program.

Haven't checked all of this thread yet, so someone may have already helped you with this.

¡Buen Camino!

Noah

..[/QUOTE]

LOL.....you replied to a post I made back in 2011. It turns out I changed routing and did not through Madrid that year

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back