• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel From Madrid To Burgos

anacheka

Time of past OR future Camino
April 20-June 8 2017
I'm flying into Spain via Madrid and then plan to travel to Burgos by either bus or train and find an auberge for the night. Do I need to book the bus or train ticket in advance, or can I get to Madrid and take care of it all once I've arrived? Also, is there more than one bus stop in Burgos & are there auberges that are convenient to either the bus or train station?

Thanks!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Trains are rarely full. Buses are not normally full. So I think you can wait until you get there to book. There is a train ticket sales office in T-4 at Barajas Airport. Bus tickets are available from the bus driver, who will have a list of reservations. The bus stop is at T-4. For the train you take the Cercanias from T-4, the price is included in your Renfe ticket, to Chamartin, then catch the train to Burgos Rosa de Lima. Allow an hour to get from baggage pickup to Chamartin.

The bus station in Burgos is downtown, about a five minute walk to the Cathedral. The train station is on the north edge of town, so you will need to catch a 1 Euro bus to Plaza Espana, which is a long five minutes from the Cathedral. The main albergue in Burgos is about the same distance from the bus station and Plaza Espana. Buen camino.

I do not think there is a need to book in advance but I have never done it - others can confirm. I would take the bus because once you get to Burgos the bus station is a very short distance from the Cathedral and the municipal albergue (which generally has good reports). The train station is a long way out of the centre of town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You might get a price advantage if you book ahead.

If your plane arrives late (a likely occurance) then you eat the fare.

Sometimes there is a lineup for tickets. There are unused automated ticket machines.

Sometimes a train or bus is full (particularly if you travel during holidays). Usually, the worst case scenario is you wait for the next one.

Travel time to Burgos is about the same for train or bus. As pointed out, Burgos bus station is centerville while Burgos train station is in the boonies. Some buses call at the Airport T4. Bus is usually cheaper. Train is more comfortable.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You can catch a Bus to Burgos from the Airport. Tickets can be bought online or at the Airport. The municipal albergue in Burgos is a short walk from the bus terminal.

.....As pointed out, Burgos bus station is centerville while Burgos train station is in the boonies ....

Yes, the train station is way outside the city centre area but there is a good bus service to the centre and easy availability of taxis so I'd opt for the train for the comfort.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We took the bus from Madrid airport to Burgos and it couldn't have been easier. We didn't find the bus to be uncomfortable - not as comfy as the train, but not bad - and it's only a 2.5-3 hour trip anyway.

You can find the bus schedule on:

https://www.alsa.es/

I've also taken trains various places after arriving in Madrid. It's pretty easy too, although you do have the extra step of taking the Cercanias commuter train to the train station - not a big deal, but not quite as convenient as getting the bus straight from the airport.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back