• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

travel from Madrid to Pamplona by train

Davis Baltz

Time of past OR future Camino
(2015)
How important is it to book a train ticket some weeks or days in advance to travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona? I will arrive in Madrid in early September and stay 3 days before traveling to Pamplona. Will I be able to easily book a train on days notice in Madrid? And will the price be more expensive if I wait and buy in Madrid? Thank you!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
How important is it to book a train ticket some weeks or days in advance to travel by train from Madrid to Pamplona? I will arrive in Madrid in early September and stay 3 days before traveling to Pamplona. Will I be able to easily book a train on days notice in Madrid? And will the price be more expensive if I wait and buy in Madrid? Thank you!

There are several trains from Madrid to Pamplona daily. The only time you will have difficulty getting a ticket is if you plan to travel on a holiday. There is sometimes a line up although the ticket machines apparently go unused. There are deals available if you purchase prior to date of travel.

Trains to Pamplona leave from Madrid Puerta Atocha.

I will arrive in Madrid in early September and stay 3 days before traveling to Pamplona. Will I be able to easily book a train on days notice in Madrid? And will the price be more expensive if I wait and buy in Madrid?

You should be able to get a ticket once in Madrid if that's what you want but I would suggest to make it on your first day in Madrid just to have peace of mind.

The later you book, the most unlikely you are to found a discounted fare. To get the cheapest fare possible, the best bet is, generally speaking, to book online well in advance.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I booked a few weeks in advance just to be on the safe side. You will need to depart from Atocha station in Madrid and will arrive within walking distance of the old city in Pamplona.
A bird in the hand...I'm just sayin!

If your flight plan is firm, I would suggest that you book Renfe in advance. The benefits are:
1. Peace in mind
2. Discount using promotional fare
3. Added bonus is free local train fare (worth 2.70 Euro) from the airport to Puerta Atocha train station when you show the ticket at the Renfe customer service at the airport. (Free Renfe Cercania ride)

If I buy a ticket in advance and then my flight is delayed, will I be able to use it on a different departure time?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If I buy a ticket in advance and then my flight is delayed, will I be able to use it on a different departure time?

No. They give you a discount on the next train if you miss yours by not more than half an hour due to no fault of your own.

I'm a little nervous purchasing our train ticket to Pamplona, that we will mess up or get lost and miss the time we pick. Our flight gets in at noon. We hope to only have carry-on, but just in case we can't, how much time do you think it will take us to get our bags, find how to get to the Puerta Atocha train station, and then get there in time to catch the train? Would a couple hours do it? We might have to grab a bite to eat in that time frame, too. Thanks!

I'm a little nervous purchasing our train ticket to Pamplona, that we will mess up or get lost and miss the time we pick. Our flight gets in at noon. We hope to only have carry-on, but just in case we can't, how much time do you think it will take us to get our bags, find how to get to the Puerta Atocha train station, and then get there in time to catch the train? Would a couple hours do it? We might have to grab a bite to eat in that time frame, too. Thanks!
Cough up the money and buy yourself some piece of mind. The earlier you book, the more rodiculous tue price.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I would suggest 30 minutes to deplane, an hour to get through customs and collect baggage, an hour to get from airport to train, a half hour for orientation both at airport and station. So total 3 hours from plane to train. I'm including line up time to buy tickets. You get lunch only if you don't need the time for getting to the train. You should be able to buy bocadillas for eating on the train at the station.

See the airport and adif websites to find maps so you know where to go.

Puerta de Atocha is reached by:

A. Cercanias train from airport T4

B. Metro from airport T1-T2-T3 or T4

C. EMT Express bus (Yellow) direct from Airport to Puerta Atocha.

Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/csee/Satellite/Aeropuerto-Madrid-Barajas/en/

Cercanias
http://www.renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/

Madrid Metro
http://www.metromadrid.es/es/index.html

EMT Madrid Airport Express
http://www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

Adif Puerta de Atocha
http://www.adif.es/es_ES/infraestructuras/estaciones/60000/informacion_000070.shtml

3 hours is a lot of time. I'd rather spend time waiting than being anxious about making my timings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sand1:

Since you are coming from the states you will probably land at T1 (terminal 1). You have two choices after going through Customs. Take a cab from T1 to train station Puerta de Atocha (approx. 30 Euro's). Two, take the inter airport bus to T4 (terminal 4). Then go down stairs to the RENFE ticket office and purchase a ticket to Puerta de Atocha, this train runs every half hour, along with your ticket to Pamplona. Ticket lines at Puerta de Atocha can sometimes be long. I prefer the cab. There are several places to get food at the train station. There is a snack car on the train, also.

Ultreya,
Joe

Since you are coming from the states you will probably land at T1 (terminal 1)

Except if sand1 is flying with Iberia or with American Airlines in which case s/he would arrive at T4. All of it assuming s/he flies non-stop from the USA to Madrid.

Take a cab from T1 to train station Puerta de Atocha (approx. 30 Euro's).

The fare is fixed 30 Euros. You shouldn't be charged more (or less).

You have two choices after going through Customs.

There's a third option: to take the express bus www.emtmadrid.es/lineaAeropuerto/index.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back