• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Madrid to Puente la Reina

Patrick O'Shea

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago. I will fly into Madrid from Amsterdam, and from there was considering bus to Puente la Reina. I have noted that I could take bus 200 to Avenida America and then with either Autocares Grupo Samar or PLM Autocares go to Puenta la Reina on a bus ride of about 5 hrs 20 minutes with cost about 25-40 Euros, leaving approximately 15:00 and arriving 20:20. There also appears a possibility to go from terminal T4 at the airport on I believe a service called ALSA to Pamplona (unsure of price or times, and could then possibly take a bus or taxi on to Puenta la Reina.
Could someone advise which would be the best option for cost and time, from the airport via Pamplona, or airport to Avenida America and then on to Puenta la Reina. Oh, and since I am above 60 years old, would another option to go by train on what I believe is called a "Tarjeta Dorado", also from T4 on the Cercanias commuter train to Atocha train station, and on to Pamplona, and then on to Puenta la Reina.
It is possible I am overcomplicating things, but would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last yr I caught the bus at T4, seems like it was mid morning and got to Pamplona mid afternoon. Very easy. Met several pilgrims that I ran into along the way to Santiago. We caught a taxi to SJPDP.

Next time I do the Camino, I think I’ll start in Pamplona. That first day to Puente la Reina is special.

Yes it is special, that first day. In fact from Pamplona there is a local bus to Cizur Menor where there are 2 albergues, and that lops 5km approx off the walk to Puente La Reina. One of the Cizur albergues is operated by the Knights of Malta, the other by a legend, Casa Maribel, or some such name. All reports of her albergue are positive, to the best of my knowledge. Buen Camino...
Edit: sorry, I see your starting point will be Puente, I hadn’t registered that in the second part of my brain! Yes, plenty bus options from Pamplona.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago.
Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick, is there a reason you don't just walk from Pamplona? It is a WONDERFUL city, beautiful in April, and easy to find nice lodging in, especially if you book now. I'm not sure where you are flying in from, but it's also a great place to adjust to the time change if you're flying from the US.

Hello my name is Patrick and I am planning/hoping to walk in April 2019 till May 2019 starting the walk in Puente la Reina to Santiago. I will fly into Madrid from Amsterdam, and from there was considering bus to Puente la Reina. I have noted that I could take bus 200 to Avenida America and then with either Autocares Grupo Samar or PLM Autocares go to Puenta la Reina on a bus ride of about 5 hrs 20 minutes with cost about 25-40 Euros, leaving approximately 15:00 and arriving 20:20. There also appears a possibility to go from terminal T4 at the airport on I believe a service called ALSA to Pamplona (unsure of price or times, and could then possibly take a bus or taxi on to Puenta la Reina.
Could someone advise which would be the best option for cost and time, from the airport via Pamplona, or airport to Avenida America and then on to Puenta la Reina. Oh, and since I am above 60 years old, would another option to go by train on what I believe is called a "Tarjeta Dorado", also from T4 on the Cercanias commuter train to Atocha train station, and on to Pamplona, and then on to Puenta la Reina.
It is possible I am overcomplicating things, but would appreciate suggestions.

Thanks,

Patrick
Just change the date! Atention, you can search BUT NOT BUY, until one month before you go! But you can see the buses and hours you will go! - https://www.goeuro.es

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back