• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Madrid to St Jean Pied de Port

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I describe how I did it in my handout for a camino class I did.
It is located here:
From Atocha train station: At 7:30 a m, high speed train to Pamplona. It arrived at 10:30 am. 12 noon bus to St Jean Pied de Port, which arrived there around 1:30 pm.
This is essentially what isawtman is saying,. We've done the same in the past though bear in mind schedules change.

Inter-city transport is pretty good in Spain. There are also buses from Madrid to Pamplona. If you check out the rome2rio website, you can find what you need to know and book tickets.

From Atocha train station: At 7:30 a m, high speed train to Pamplona. It arrived at 10:30 am. 12 noon bus to St Jean Pied de Port, which arrived there around 1:30 pm.
This is essentially what isawtman is saying,. We've done the same in the past though bear in mind schedules change.

Inter-city transport is pretty good in Spain. There are also buses from Madrid to Pamplona. If you check out the rome2rio website, you can find what you need to know and book tickets.
The early train isn’t even showing on the Renfe app for Saturday 27th May, even though others are that are sold out. Out of interest, how difficult do you think it will be to share a taxi to SJPP when arriving into Pamplona from Madrid on the later train, arriving 1300.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buen Camino! How does one new traveler get to St Jean de Pied from the airport in Madrid?
Hi - I arrive Madrid in the morning. Will fly from Madrid to Pamplona on Iberia. The flight cost was not much more than a train ticket. We will take a shared taxi to SJPP. We arrive Pamplona after the bus leaves.
Buen Camino!

Hi - I arrive Madrid in the morning. Will fly from Madrid to Pamplona on Iberia. The flight cost was not much more than a train ticket. We will take a shared taxi to SJPP. We arrive Pamplona after the bus leaves.
Buen Camino!
What date do you depart?

I’ll be arriving in Pamplona on July 4. Maybe we can share the fee related to SJPDP if you are departing on the same day.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The early train isn’t even showing on the Renfe app for Saturday 27th May, even though others are that are sold out. Out of interest, how difficult do you think it will be to share a taxi to SJPP when arriving into Pamplona from Madrid on the later train, arriving 1300.
See how many other pilgrims are on the bus to share with you. There will be taxis, but at a price. For one person, it would be cheaper to stay the night in Pamplona, I suspect then bus next day. Try rome2rio and see what you get.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino! How does one new traveler get to St Jean de Pied from the airport in Madrid?
I have travelled from Madrid to Pamplona by bus, train, and have flown. I definitely recommend flying. I recently purchased a one way ticket on Iberia for $67 for my late July start this year. I have taken the bus and a taxi to SJPP from Pamplona and recommend the taxi if you can find other pilgrims to share the cost (about 100-130 Euros).

We land at 0620 am in Madrid. I am assuming we will not make the 0735 train out of Atocha.... ugh

We land at 0620 am in Madrid. I am assuming we will not make the 0735 train out of Atocha.... ugh
If you couldn’t catch the 12:00pm bus from Pamplona to St. Jean Pied de Port, another solution is take a one hour bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles which is €5.45 and you pay in cash to the bus driver. Then get a taxi from Roncesvalles to SJPDP which is about €40-45, 30 minutes long. You can also split the €45 with other pilgrims to reduce the cost. The pilgrim office is going to be closed at 7:30pm or 8:00pm in SJPDP. You do have enough time to get there.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back