• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Morocco to SJPdP

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP > Santiago - 2016
Porto > Santiago - 2018
I am a US citizen flying from the US to Rabat, Morocco in August (yes, I know it is hot) and then on to SJPdP for the Camino Frances in early September. A search of the forum didn't yield anyone posting doing that.

My intention is to travel overland and I'm looking for advice on that part of my camino, bus and/or train once I get off the ferry avoiding planes if possible. I am not pressed for time.

Thank you in advance for sharing experiences and what I should consider in doing this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where do you plan to get 'off the ferry'?

SJPdP is connected by SNCF train to Bayonne.

SJPdP is connected by CONDA (ALSA) bus to Pamplona.

Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to get to Bayonne or Pamplona.

Transportes Generales Come bus from Tarifa to Algeciras.
http://www.tgcomes.es/info_general_english.htm

Algeciras to Torremolinas by Avanza Bus
http://www.avanzabus.com/web/horarios/horarios-autobus-malaga-algeciras.html

Renfe Cercanias train from Torremolinas to Malaga.

Renfe train from Malaga to either of Irun or Pamplona via Madrid.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

If you travel to Irun ... cross the border (3km) to Gare d'Hendaye (if your train does not terminate in Hendaye) and take SNCF train to Gare Bayonne or transports64 bus to Bayonne and walk the 1 km to Gare Bayonne. Take SNCF train from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you travel to Pamplona ... walk or take taxi or bus to Pamplona bus station to catch bus to SJPdP.

Note most trains from Madrid to Pamplona leave from Madrid Puerta de Atocha. Most trains to Irun leave from Madrid Chamartin. If your train from the ferry leaves you at the 'other' station take Madrid Renfe Cercanias to connect.

Last edited by a moderator:
My intention is to travel overland and I'm looking for advice on that part of my camino, bus and/or train once I get off the ferry avoiding planes if possible. I am not pressed for time.

You forgot to say what will be your arrival port. Anyway, if you don't plan to visit the East of Morocco (i.e.: if you want to go from Rabat straight North), you'll arrive to Tarifa or to Algeciras. I'll quote options out of Algeciras. If you arrive to Tarifa, take a bus from Tarifa to Algeciras (they run frequently). For info about schedules from Tarifa to Algeciras, take a look at www.ctmcg.com/index.php/en (line M-150).

Two main options:

Option 1:
  • Train from Algeciras to Madrid Puerta de Atocha with www.renfe.com
  • Train from Madrid Puerta de Atocha to Pamplona with www.renfe.com
  • Transfer from Pamplona train station to Pamplona bus station. You can walk it but it's more than 2 kms so if you don't want to walk it, you can urban bus line 9 that will leave you close to the bus station. A taxi is another option.
  • Bus from Pamplona to SJPP with www.alsa.es/en
Option 2:
  • Bus from Algeciras to Madrid (Estación Sur de Autobuses) with www.daibus.es
  • Transfer from Estación Sur de Autobuses to Intercambiador de Avenida de América using metro line number 6 (the metro stop for Estación Sur de Autobuses is Méndez Álvaro; just follow the metro signs on arrival to Estación Sur de Autobuses)
  • Bus from Madrid (Avenida de América) to Pamplona with http://plmautocares.com Alsa makes the route too but with a change of buses along the route (while PLM makes the route directly; i.e.: without needing to change buses along it).
  • Bus from Pamplona to SJPP with www.alsa.es/en
As you aren't pressed by time, make as many overnight stops along the route as you want.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you Castilian - exactly what I was looking for. I especially like the "As you aren't pressed by time, make as many overnight stops along the route as you want." remark, I assume that you mean I can get off the bus at a stop an resume the bus trip the next day. Do I need to know this in advance to buy bus fare for each section of the trip or will my ticket to Madrid, for example, be honored the next day?

Thank you whariwharangi (I'll have to work on that name!),

More options for map gazing and searching schedules. I need to balance wanting to get on the walk with wanting to see other areas of Spain so I appreciate the options you mentioned.

Ron

If I were you I would decide how far I wanted to travel that day and buy a ticket for that destination just prior to boarding.

You could even buy a ticket to one destination then buy another for the next bus (if there is one) if you decide you want to keep going that day.

Renfe has rail passes available ... but I think you still need to have a ticket for a destination prior to boarding.

You might want to contact the bus companies involved to find out about 'honoured' tickets.

I guess the last piece of advice would be to start the walk from SJPdP and do the 'tourist' stuff after you are finished ... if you still have time and inclination. Who knows ... you might get hooked on the walking and want to do another camino route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I assume that you mean I can get off the bus at a stop an resume the bus trip the next day. Do I need to know this in advance to buy bus fare for each section of the trip

Yes, you do.

will my ticket to Madrid, for example, be honored the next day?

No, it won't. Tickets are point to point tickets for a fixed date. Therefore, if you want to break a route in, for example, 2 legs, you have to get separate tickets for each leg. If by bus, it may also mean different bus companies for each leg. For example, you can go from Salamanca to Barcelona with Monbús but if you want to break the route in two legs to visit Zaragoza, you would need to book a ticket from Salamanca to Zaragoza with Monbús and another one from Zaragoza to Barcelona with Alsa (because Monbús doesn't have rights to sell tickets from Zaragoza to Barcelona even though their buses from Salamanca to Barcelona stop at both cities). Both tickets would be date (and bus) specific; i.e.: for a bus departing at a specific time on a specific day.

I need to balance wanting to get on the walk with wanting to see other areas of Spain

I quoted options to go straight. If you want to make some tourism and sight seeing on your way to SJPP and don't bother to make a not-so-straight route, you have tons of options and alternatives so it all will depend on what you want to visit along the route.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back