A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Travel from Santiago to Lisbon

2020 Camino Guides

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
Strange as it seems...as I have done this before...I cannot find a simple/easy way to get from Santiago to Lisbon and I will have to do it twice in July. Once with my two grandsons to meet with their father.. after walking the Primitivo and then again after walking alone on the Portugues back to Santiagoto catch a flight home.

I do remember that we had to break the trip in Porto in the past. Was hoping to not do it this time due to time.
Flights all seem to go to Madrid first.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
Strange as it seems...as I have done this before...I cannot find a simple/easy way to get from Santiago to Lisbon and I will have to do it twice in July. Once with my two grandsons to meet with their father.. after walking the Primitivo and then again after walking alone on the Portugues back to Santiagoto catch a flight home.

I do remember that we had to break the trip in Porto in the past. Was hoping to not do it this time due to time.
Take the bus !

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)

there is a train early in the morn' from SdC to Porto - (1x) and a 2+hr train from Porto to Lisboa -
reservation recommended on the P to L leg. when done in advance, nice savings possible.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
That is what I would prefer to do....but 9 hours and 45 minutes to go 450km.
You could fly from New York to Lisbon in much shorter time.
What is your alternative. ? A flight from Santiago to Lisbon with a stop over in Madrid takes 4 or 5 hours. 1 hour to be at the airport in advance, Stop over in Madrid... traveling from the airport to your place to stay in Lisbon..and the price ?

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
there is a train early in the morn' from SdC to Porto - (1x) and a 2+hr train from Porto to Lisboa -
reservation recommended on the P to L leg. when done in advance, nice savings possible.
I have not been able to see a train (Renfe) from SdC to Oporto....on any dates.

I do see the trains on the Portugues train site.

Maybe I would need to take a bus to Porto??

Last edited:

amorfati1

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2014_Caminho Portuguese (Lisboa to Santiago_4 weeks in May)
I have not been able to see a train (Renfe) from SdC to Oporto....on any dates.

I do see the trains on the Portugues train site.

Maybe I would need to take a bus to Porto??
perhaps you have to use the 'international' section/site of the RENFE website? don't recall. but there ARE trains leaving SdC to Porto. had to change once - was not a long wait though. perhaps in Vigo?
someone here on forum also had posted train schedules from SdC to Porto/Lisboa. can't recall when/where/by whom.
happy hunting - you'll find a suitable schedule/route.
try this:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/santiago-to-lisbon.28792/
or
http://forum.raileurope-world.com/responses/from-santiago-de-compostela-to-lisbom

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, Grayland,
All I can say is that the bus trip is LONG and BORING and all of the Portuguese part is on the superhighway. I also remember a 45 minute or so stop on one of the highway stopping points and that was even more awful than the rest of it; Remember there's an hour time difference between Spain and Portugal, but I don't know if that makes the trip longer or shorter than what it seems now.

I would take a train if that's possible and I think amorfati is right that you have to change in Vigo. But the bus may just be a lot easier since you get on in Santiago and get offi n Lisbon. Buen camino, Laurie

C

Castilian

RENFE isn't (too) good with travel options involving a change of trains so make two separate searches: one from the leg from Santiago de Compostela to Vigo and another one from Vigo to Porto (don't forget it's Oporto in Spanish).

If you don't want to make all the route by train, you could make a mix of bus from Santiago de Compotela to Porto and train from Porto to Lisbon.

Another option would be to fly non-stop from A Coruña to Lisbon with TAP (not daily though)... if your budget is good enough for it.

MichaelSG

Retired member
Camino(s) past & future
Not enough
I took the bus last October and enjoyed it but I had the time and patience. Booking the train is slightly challenging but doable. I just wasn't thrilled with the transfers in Vigo and Porto but they can't be too bad.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 366 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock