• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Lisbon

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
Strange as it seems...as I have done this before...I cannot find a simple/easy way to get from Santiago to Lisbon and I will have to do it twice in July. Once with my two grandsons to meet with their father.. after walking the Primitivo and then again after walking alone on the Portugues back to Santiagoto catch a flight home.

I do remember that we had to break the trip in Porto in the past. Was hoping to not do it this time due to time.
Flights all seem to go to Madrid first.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Strange as it seems...as I have done this before...I cannot find a simple/easy way to get from Santiago to Lisbon and I will have to do it twice in July. Once with my two grandsons to meet with their father.. after walking the Primitivo and then again after walking alone on the Portugues back to Santiagoto catch a flight home.

I do remember that we had to break the trip in Porto in the past. Was hoping to not do it this time due to time.
Take the bus !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

there is a train early in the morn' from SdC to Porto - (1x) and a 2+hr train from Porto to Lisboa -
reservation recommended on the P to L leg. when done in advance, nice savings possible.

That is what I would prefer to do....but 9 hours and 45 minutes to go 450km.
You could fly from New York to Lisbon in much shorter time.
What is your alternative. ? A flight from Santiago to Lisbon with a stop over in Madrid takes 4 or 5 hours. 1 hour to be at the airport in advance, Stop over in Madrid... traveling from the airport to your place to stay in Lisbon..and the price ?

there is a train early in the morn' from SdC to Porto - (1x) and a 2+hr train from Porto to Lisboa -
reservation recommended on the P to L leg. when done in advance, nice savings possible.

I have not been able to see a train (Renfe) from SdC to Oporto....on any dates.

I do see the trains on the Portugues train site.

Maybe I would need to take a bus to Porto??

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I have not been able to see a train (Renfe) from SdC to Oporto....on any dates.

I do see the trains on the Portugues train site.

Maybe I would need to take a bus to Porto??

perhaps you have to use the 'international' section/site of the RENFE website? don't recall. but there ARE trains leaving SdC to Porto. had to change once - was not a long wait though. perhaps in Vigo?
someone here on forum also had posted train schedules from SdC to Porto/Lisboa. can't recall when/where/by whom.
happy hunting - you'll find a suitable schedule/route.
try this:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/santiago-to-lisbon.28792/
or
http://forum.raileurope-world.com/responses/from-santiago-de-compostela-to-lisbom

Hi, Grayland,
All I can say is that the bus trip is LONG and BORING and all of the Portuguese part is on the superhighway. I also remember a 45 minute or so stop on one of the highway stopping points and that was even more awful than the rest of it; Remember there's an hour time difference between Spain and Portugal, but I don't know if that makes the trip longer or shorter than what it seems now.

I would take a train if that's possible and I think amorfati is right that you have to change in Vigo. But the bus may just be a lot easier since you get on in Santiago and get offi n Lisbon. Buen camino, Laurie

RENFE isn't (too) good with travel options involving a change of trains so make two separate searches: one from the leg from Santiago de Compostela to Vigo and another one from Vigo to Porto (don't forget it's Oporto in Spanish).

If you don't want to make all the route by train, you could make a mix of bus from Santiago de Compotela to Porto and train from Porto to Lisbon.

Another option would be to fly non-stop from A Coruña to Lisbon with TAP (not daily though)... if your budget is good enough for it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I took the bus last October and enjoyed it but I had the time and patience. Booking the train is slightly challenging but doable. I just wasn't thrilled with the transfers in Vigo and Porto but they can't be too bad.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
Hola, does anyone know if you can pay for a single municipal bus ride within Santiago city limits by tapping one's contactless payment card, similar to a London bus? Or do you have to purchase a...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back