• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Oviedo to begin Primitivo

Time of past OR future Camino
CF Sep/Oct 2015
C Primitivo Sep / Oct 2016
Portugese Sep/Oct 2017
VdlP, Muxia 2018
Hi Everyone. I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I travel to Santiago on 27th September and intend staying overnight and wish to transfer to Oviedo the following morning. I checked out bus and train. There seems to be shared option also. Can anyone help with further information or if intending to travel at the same time. Did the CF last sep Oct and can't wait go again. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi James, welcome to the forum! Where are you travelling from? It seems a bit strange to go to Santiago first, only to go, the next day, to Oviedo, some 320kms away. Can’t you fly/bus/train in to somewhere closer, like Santander? Confused :confused:

Service is not frequent. Travel time is anywhere from 4 hours to all day.

Try Empresa Freire bus from Santiago to Lugo and ALSA from Lugo to Oviedo. (ALSA goes to Lugo via A Coruna)

Renfe train requires a transfer at Leon or Medina del Campo.

You could also try Monbus from Santiago to Ferrol and Renfe Feve train from Ferrol to Oviedo.

Empresa Freire
http://www.empresafreire.com/html/castelan/seccion0.php

ALSA
https://www.alsa.es/en

Renfe (and FEVE)
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/

Monbus
http://www.monbus.es/es

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi James, welcome to the forum! Where are you travelling from? It seems a bit strange to go to Santiago first, only to go, the next day, to Oviedo, some 320kms away. Can’t you fly/bus/train in to somewhere closer, like Santander? Confused :confused:

Or Asturias? aka Oviedo Airport.

Thanks for quick reply. I'm flying from Dublin and just managed to get a flight to Santander which I've booked. Transfer is so much more convenient. I've had to change date to 28th sepþember. Thanks for advice. Hopefully the weather will be kind!:)

From Santander you can take the ALSA bus or go by the narrow guage FEVE railcar. The latter leaves twice a day. Times in 2012 were 9.10am and 16.10 pm arriving at 14.30 and 20.30, but these times need checking. See the Renfe/Feve website for times this year.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Too late now but another easier option would have been to take the train or bus to Leon and walk to Oviedo from there on the San Salvador.
(Jill, Sometimes it is cheaper to fly into the place you are leaving from and then backtrack than to get an open-jaw ticket which allows you to arrive in one destination and leave from another)

Jill, Sometimes it is cheaper to fly into the place you are leaving from and then backtrack than to get an open-jaw ticket which allows you to arrive in one destination and leave from another

Hi, yes, that's why I asked where he was travelling from :).

Hi, yes, that's why I asked where he was travelling from :).
Sorry - my misunderstanding! I thought you couldn't fathom why on earth someone would arrive in Santiago only to leave it immediately!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sorry - my misunderstanding! I thought you couldn't fathom why on earth someone would arrive in Santiago only to leave it immediately!!

Hi Rachel, you’re right :), I couldn’t fathom at all why James was flying into Santiago! If he was travelling from outside Europe, and he’d said Madrid or Paris, that would make sense. But if he was travelling from inside Europe, then there is no need to go to Santiago first :confused:. It’s a very small airport; no long-haul flights arrive there. Fortunately, he is now headed for Santander first :rolleyes:. Just hope he has good weather now :D!
Jill

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back