• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Porto, Portugal

which one should I do?

• walk to the ocean after Santiago

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Spend a couple days in Porto

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Max FarAway

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk in August.(2017)
I am planning on booking my flight home out of Porto, Portugal. I am wondering if there is any possible issues I might run into traveling from Santiago to Portugal that could cause me to miss my flight? I may arrive in Santiago only two or three days before my flight leaves from Porto, so any kind of hang up could cause me to miss my flight. Assuming I have my passport with me, should transportation and entry to Portugal be hassle free?

Also, upon reaching Santiago, I may be faced with a decision to either go continue the walk to the ocean (remind me the name of the town most people walk to?) or to spend a couple days in Porto. Any opinions on which one is better?

Gracias,
Max FarAway

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Max,
If you are expecting to arrive 2-3 days before your flight it is unlikely you will have time to walk to the ocean (Finisterre/Fisterra or Muxia are the destinations) and get back to Santiago in order to get to Porto. There was a bus direct from Santiago to oporto airport which ran a few times a day. The company name escapes me but I will check and post back. Oporto is a lovely city if you choose to spend your time there or just relax in Santiago if it is not a place that you have visited before? Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Thanks Miguel,

Yeah thank you, I realize that if it were the case that I arrived in Santiago 2-3 days before the flight, I would have to go straight to Porto. But there is also a chance I arrive a 5 or 6 before my flight leaves if I chose to hike SJPP to Santiago aggressively, which would put me in a position to have to chose between a few days in Porto or walking to Finisterre (thanks for that!). Glad to know it is fairly easy to reach Porto, though! Thanks again :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Let me begin that I love Porto! In my opinion, the only really inspiring bit of the walk to Fistera is that last day along the water. The town has changed with the years and I no longer enjoy visiting there but Muxia is still lovely. If you must, take a bus to Fistera to see the lighthouse, a very nice walk out since from there you cannot see the town, back to Santiago and on for a couple of days in Porto. In Porto, try and work in the modern architecture there (Porto School might ring a bell) is just as amazing as the traditional azulejo ceramic tiles Koolhaus's Casa Musica is right by the bus station from Santiago and Siza's Serralves Museum is a bit more difficult but certainly worth the effort. Doesn't look like Gerry in Bilbao, but similarly, the building is often far more intriguing that the exhibits.

Last edited:
Why would crossing from Spain into Portugal,be an issue? Borders are long gone.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Max,

Check out: https://www.rome2rio.com

This site will give you the options for transport from Santiago to Porto, including bus, train, rideshare. I took the train from Santiago (my flight was also out of Porto). I left Santiago the day before my flight. As mentioned above though, Porto is a beautiful city to explore if you'd feel more comfortable getting there a couple of days early.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome Max,

When I walked the Francés I arrived in Santiago much sooner than I expected and continued on to Muxia and Finisterre. It was a wonderful quiet walk with quite a bit of rain (mid October) The next year I walked the Portugues way and spent two days in Porto. I really enjoyed Porto and the Portuguese people and food. Since you will have been walking already and since it is your first time to Europe I would encourage you to visit Portugal and Porto and experience a different country, people, and cuisine. I will be walking the Portuguese Central route this year (last time was Coastal Route) and spending a month in Portugal. It is a wonderful country and for me it is not to be missed.

I wish you well in your decision they are both good choices.

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Max,

Check out: https://www.rome2rio.com

This site will give you the options for transport from Santiago to Porto, including bus, train, rideshare. I took the train from Santiago (my flight was also out of Porto). I left Santiago the day before my flight. As mentioned above though, Porto is a beautiful city to explore if you'd feel more comfortable getting there a couple of days early.

Thanks so much:)

Welcome Max,

When I walked the Francés I arrived in Santiago much sooner than I expected and continued on to Muxia and Finisterre. It was a wonderful quiet walk with quite a bit of rain (mid October) The next year I walked the Portugues way and spent two days in Porto. I really enjoyed Porto and the Portuguese people and food. Since you will have been walking already and since it is your first time to Europe I would encourage you to visit Portugal and Porto and experience a different country, people, and cuisine. I will be walking the Portuguese Central route this year (last time was Coastal Route) and spending a month in Portugal. It is a wonderful country and for me it is not to be missed.

I wish you well in your decision they are both good choices.

Buen Camino!

This is great advice. Thanks a lot.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I took the bus ride from Santiago to Porto about 10 days ago. It was through Alsa and if the ticket is bought online it is €37,- otherwise €40 at the bus station in Santiago. Don't forget that Portugal is in a different time zone - one hour earlier!

Great thanks a lot:)

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back