• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Porto

ffp13

Addicted pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Caminos: 2009 SJPP, 2011 Roncessvalle , 2012 Pamploma, 2013 Roncessvalle, 2013 Porto, 2014 Burgos, 2014 Porto

Future: Roncessvalle
This year I will travel to Spain for 2 months and I will again be walking the Camino France's, after I complete that Camino I should have sufficient time to walk the Camino from Porto.

What is the best and most economical means of transport from Santiago to Porto

Thanks. Frank

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Frank,
Though I much prefer trains to buses, this is one route that I'd say stick with the buses. Trains require a change in Vigo and it's complicated.

There's one bus a day, Santiago to Lisbon, with a stop in Porto. Leaves Santiago 11 am, arrives in Porto at 2:15 pm (and remember there is a time difference, Spain is an hour ahead of Portugal).

My unsolicited recommendation would be to spend at least a full day in Porto, it's a beautiful city, not too prettified/gentrified, beautiful spots on the river, lots of amazing tiles everywhere. The view from the Gaia side of the upper bridge back to Porto is one of the most beautiful "built environment" sights, IMO. (In fact, that's what's in the background of my forum picture to the right). Bom caminho, Laurie

I agree. Porto is a wonderful city and a great place to spend a day or two. Walk to the waterfront and experience fresh grilled sardinhas - go across the bridge and taste the famous port. Be a tourist for a few days before walking.. it's worth it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Agree with Peregrina2000. Last September I used the ALSA 11:00 AM bus from Santiago to Porto. It's a great way to get to Porto. For the trains you have to change from the Spanish trains to the Portuguese trains in Vigo. The Portuguese trains (two of them) between Vigo and Porto run early in the morning and late in the evening.

If you like Port, be sure to visit the Port Lodges on the Gaia side of the river in Porto. Also, at the Cathedral in Porto, it's worth every penny to pay to visit the cloisters. They are stunning.

Thank you everyone for your feedback, I most certainly will spend at least one full day (2nights) before walking back to Santiago . ( and I like a good oak aged Port )

Even if I don't have enough time to complete the Camino from there it sounds like a great side trip from Santiago, last year I visited Lugo ( by bus ) that too was great.

Hopefully I can fit in the walk, I only have 2 months in Spain and so much to do, the Camino from Roncessvalles , walk to Muxia , volunteer as a hospitaleros, and walk the Portuguese Camino from Porto :)

Frank

Travelled last Sun from Santiago to Porto 31e by bus. Note of WARNING arrived on Sat at 10.30 for 11 departure only to be told bus was full, so do book in advance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Good point, and being mid July would only mean more bus travellers

Yes, our bus was full also. I had purchased our tickets a couple of days before we left.

Lise T said:
Hello

For those that have caught the bus...can you tell me how long the bus ride is?

There's one bus a day, Santiago to Lisbon, with a stop in Porto. Leaves Santiago 11 am, arrives in Porto at 2:15 pm (and remember there is a time difference, Spain is an hour ahead of Portugal).

That makes it about 4 hours. There are stops in Vigo and at the Porto airport.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back