• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from Santiago to Triacastela

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
A member who is walking from St. Jean has an older (but physically capable) family member who wants to meet them and walk into Santiago. She prefers to start a bit before Sarria to experience a little of the camino before the crowds and rush at Sarria. Triacastela through Samos has been suggested.
The question now is how to get from Santiago (assuming this is the best arrival point from LAX).

I would think that getting to either Sarria or Samos by bus and then taxi to Triacastela might be best. Has anyone actually done this from Santiago? Keep in mind that the traveler is capable ....but 84 years old and would welcome a simple plan. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A member who is walking from St. Jean has an older (but physically capable) family member who wants to meet them and walk into Santiago. She prefers to start a bit before Sarria to experience a little of the camino before the crowds and rush at Sarria. Triacastela through Samos has been suggested.
The question now is how to get from Santiago (assuming this is the best arrival point from LAX).

I would think that getting to either Sarria or Samos by bus and then taxi to Triacastela might be best. Has anyone actually done this from Santiago? Keep in mind that the traveler is capable ....but 84 years old and would welcome a simple plan. :)

Hola

Yes. I would agree.
That would seem like the best way.
Here is a link to a map and information about the route.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Santiago-de-Compostela/Tríacastela#r/Bus-MonBus

Alternatively one could train/taxi it from Lugo.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lugo/Tríacastela

Buen Camino
Lettinggo

What about going to Piedrafita (O'Cebreiro)? Half a day walk to Triacastela and direct bus from SdC. Probably the same time-wise but also cheaper.
After all maybe this person would like to visit one of the iconic places on CF?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Actually the cheapest from LAX is to fly either to Barcelona or Madrid.
If Madrid then a train to Astorga and bus to Piedrafita.

I would never pick SdC as my entry point if I wanted to walk to SdC. Kind of loses the magic if you come to SdC with a public transport ;)

Actually the cheapest from LAX is to fly either to Barcelona or Madrid.
If Madrid then a train to Astorga and bus to Piedrafita.

I would never pick SdC as my entry point if I wanted to walk to SdC. Kind of loses the magic if you come to SdC with a public transport ;)

I don't disagree....but it adds quite a bit of land travel for an older person without Spanish. Ideally, a person takes a bus from the airport in Santiago or goes direct to a train station to get to the walking point.
The magic is really not lost if you never actually go into SdC.

I do like your suggestion of O Cebreiro. I tried to find that earlier but for some reason could not find the direct bus.

I don't disagree....but it adds quite a bit of land travel for an older person without Spanish. Ideally, a person takes a bus from the airport in Santiago or goes direct to a train station to get to the walking point.
The magic is really not lost if you never actually go into SdC.
Then maybe better flying Madrid to SdC. But land travel also means you get to see some of the countryside.

Bus from SdC to Piedrafita goes to A Coruna first which isn't all that bad sight-seeing wise but she can take bus to Lugo directly from SdC airport and there catch the bus to Piedrafita. Another option.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks falcon...the problem with that service is that it would take 4 people at 40 euro. I would guess it would be 120 euro if she went alone. About the same as taxis. Not bad if you could afford the 120euro or if you were traveling with other people.

What about going to Piedrafita (O'Cebreiro)? Half a day walk to Triacastela and direct bus from SdC. Probably the same time-wise but also cheaper.
After all maybe this person would like to visit one of the iconic places on CF?

Pedraifita to Triacastela is a full days walk for most of us.... Over 25Km. Then there is the last rather steep downhill that might be a challenge for an 84 year old?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pedraifita to Triacastela is a full days walk for most of us.... Over 25Km. Then there is the last rather steep downhill that might be a challenge for an 84 year old?
Well, more than 20k but I would agree in case of 84 y/o person. But still much easier and cheaper to get to than Triacastela.

If I were meeting an 84 year old family member, I would arrange for my family member to take a taxi to Triacastela from the Airport! This 84 year old could fly one stop - IMO, directly to Madrid and then Transfer planes to SCQ (Santiago de Compostela). Would most of Us ask an 84 year old to take a long international flight and then immediately begin taking various buses to get to Triacastela? The fare would likely be 175-200euros for the shuttle. However, the stress and exhaustion from the flight, transfer, jet lag and even direct shuttle or taxi to Triacastela would likely be enough! Remember s/he will need some down time before walking more than likely. Simple plan!!

my understanding is that the family member is very capable of both walking and traveling alone. There are many here in the forum who are in that age group. Many walk long distance caminos every year. Age is just one factor...fitness and physical condition is the important factor.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much for posting this. It's my sister-in-law Nancy that's being so lovingly considered, and my husband pointed out to me, after I read these posts, that yes, she is capable and maybe older than 84, but she is almost legally blind. So keeping to a simple solution would be the best. She can afford the 120 Euros for a taxi, so I am going to present that to her.
Can anyone tell me a good pension there, and where the church is? She insists she is going to Mass that Sunday!

Hi,

Booking.com will provide you with a listing of most private accommodations that are available on the date she will arrive. A number of these accommodations do not offer a meal plan but most have breakfast. We stayed at Pension Albergue Lemos which does offer breakfast and is a couple of blocks away from the church. It is a very clean facility. It is about two blocks from a restaurant. The place is roomy and has an elevator. You can see on the map section of booking.com where the church is. The hotel is on the main road. Staff was very helpful.

https://www.booking.com

My friends took a prearranged taxi service with Jacotrans but there are a number of services you could check out. Here is another.

http://www.taxigalicia.com/index.php/en/services/39-camino-de-santiago

Wishing your mother-in-law a Buen Camino!

Can anyone tell me a good pension there, and where the church is? She insists she is going to Mass that Sunday!

The Church is on the east end of town, about a block off the Camino. Sunday mass is at 1pm, other days at 6pm, and the church is open from 9 am to 3:40pm daily. Good place for a first sello!

I stayed at Albergue Altrio in May, a beautifully restored building right on the Camino, just before the turn to the Church. They have both private and dorm rooms. The young couple who run it are as nice as can be, and very helpful. No food, but there are bars and cafes nearby, and a small kitchen for those inclined to prepare something on their own.

Buen Camino!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Keep in mind that O Cebreiro is really a tiny village. Nothing is more than a block or two away from anything else. Will she be arriving on Saturday or Sunday? Triacastela is the next stop and has a very active priest and church...then the Samos Monastery follows.
http://www.galiciaguide.com/Samos.html
Oh, so she decided to go to O'Cebreiro first? Nice.
It's a beautiful church for her first mass on Camino. No need for a cathedral because the real cathedral are the views from O'Cebreiro.

I wish her Buen Camino!

I have not read that the plan is to go to OCebriero? Accommodations are limited depending upon when one goes to this small town. When is your mother-in-law going on the Camino? Between OCebriero and Triacastela it is about 21km but then there would be a 660 meter drop then on the first day. If she starts from Triacastela, depending on what the group decides the day would likely be a bit shorter.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back