• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from SJPDP at end of March

Harry Peach

Time of past OR future Camino
Spring 2020
Will someone please explain "the law" referred elsewhere that seems to disallow travel out of SJPDP before April 1st?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am sure other can explain in greater detail but starting from SJPP is not disallowed but the Napoleon route from there to Ronncesvalles is closed for safety reasons during the winter. There is an alternative route via Valcarlos that is not at quite as high an altitude (though I would imagine care would need to be taken traversing any mountainous areas in poor weather). Hope this helps. There are several threads on this site on this subject if you need more info.

The high road over the Pyrenees is closed in winter, but you are still allowed to walk the valley road via Valcarlos.

BC SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Will someone please explain "the law" referred elsewhere that seems to disallow travel out of SJPDP before April 1st?
Go to the pilgrims office 39 rue de la citadelle : volunteers will give you all things and explanations you need ( credenciale, documents, forecast....) to start your Camino.

French and Spanish authorities are understandably fed up with rescuing or recovering dead bodies of ill-prepared pilgrims on the portion of the camino known as Route Napoleon. Reasons given are risk to rescuers and cost. Said authorities have closed that section from end November to start of April annually. Fines are in place and if you do need rescue from the closed area you will get a bill that reflects actual costs.

SO consider route Napoleon closed in winter months and plan accordingly.

Yeah, its the standard 2% of us that have wrecked it for everyone.

If you want to walk from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in winter you are directed to walk the Valcarlos route that roughly follows the highway.

I’m imagining a world in which a law DID exist that prevented ALL travel out of SJPdP until April 1....that would explain the ever increasing pilgrim crowds there!!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes as already mentioned, only the higher elevation Napoleon route is restricted.
The Valcarlos route is not.
AND, actually, if I remember correctly, the Valcarlos route is the original route of the first pilgrims!!!

Don't know if they were attempting the Camino, but.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50681489

No the couple were attempting to walk high in the eastern Spanish Pyrenees near Vall de Núria when the victim collapsed due to hypothermia. The rest of this reportage describes a combined rescue and medical miracle.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't think April 1st is a definite date. There have been years where the Napoleon route has been closed until mid-April due to large amount of snow. It all depends upon the weather.

-Paul

Like @pjacobi said, the 'high route' over the Pyrenees can be closed at any time for safety reasons aka to save the lives of pilgrims, hikers and rescuers alike.
BC SY

I am sure other can explain in greater detail but starting from SJPP is not disallowed but the Napoleon route from there to Ronncesvalles is closed for safety reasons during the winter. There is an alternative route via Valcarlos that is not at quite as high an altitude (though I would imagine care would need to be taken traversing any mountainous areas in poor weather). Hope this helps. There are several threads on this site on this subject if you need more info.
The Valcarlos route is a lower altitude and much can be walked on or next to the road, both will be dangerous options because of the ice or the plowed snow from clearing the road. Why start your Camino on the wrong slippery foot? Consider starting from Roncevalles or Pamplona or waiting until April.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Evening,
I started from SJPP last march 2018 and walked the Napoleon route, I was advised it would be dangerous but that I could . I woke the next morning and cracked on a little misty and damp but I was confidant. the weather was fine until I started going over the top. (white out) I am very fortunate I have previously walked the route so understood time distance etc.
I was not prepared for the knee deep and at times waist Hight snow, more shockingly I met an Italian chap in a pair of jeans and trainers my jaw dropped, he told me he was not informed either.
On my arrival at Roncesvalles to say people were shocked I walked the Napoleon was concerning to me as they had all been told to avoid completely. I have only recently joined and had I before my last walked would have avoided the napoleon route at that time of the year at all costs.

Evening,
I started from SJPP last march 2018 and walked the Napoleon route, I was advised it would be dangerous but that I could . I woke the next morning and cracked on a little misty and damp but I was confidant. the weather was fine until I started going over the top. (white out) I am very fortunate I have previously walked the route so understood time distance etc.
I was not prepared for the knee deep and at times waist Hight snow, more shockingly I met an Italian chap in a pair of jeans and trainers my jaw dropped, he told me he was not informed either.
On my arrival at Roncesvalles to say people were shocked I walked the Napoleon was concerning to me as they had all been told to avoid completely. I have only recently joined and had I before my last walked would have avoided the napoleon route at that time of the year at all costs.

Didn't you realize that the Napoleon Route was closed for EVERBODY at those dates?
BC SY

Didn't you realize that the Napoleon Route was closed for EVERBODY at those dates?
BC SY

I had no idea it was closed or was I informed when collecting my passport, or was I told at orison when having a coffee break in fact they said I was lucky the weather had cleared from the day before as it was closed then.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had no idea it was closed or was I informed when collecting my passport, or was I told at orison when having a coffee break in fact they said I was lucky the weather had cleared from the day before as it was closed then.

Very strange as Orisson is also closed in March ...
BC SY

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back