• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from UK to SJPP

GailGwyn

Time of past OR future Camino
part Camino Frances (2013), Part Camino Norte (2014)Camino Frances (2019)Camino Portuguese (2020)
Hi, can I ask advice from members on the best way to get from UK to SJPP. Not doing El Camino until May 2019 but want to start the research. Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The UK is quite a big place. You will get different advice if your departure points are Aberdeen or London for example. If you are relatively close to London then a direct flight to Biarritz, a 20 minute local bus ride to Bayonne, then a train to St Jean is very straightforward and can cost less than £50 depending on when you book.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I dislike flying...or rather I dislike airports and their proclivity to treat yoi like criminal cattle, so I shall be taking the ttain. Takes about 12 hours door to door from London.

Hi. Should have said - we will be flying from either Manchester or Liverpool.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I dislike flying...or rather I dislike airports and their proclivity to treat yoi like criminal cattle, so I shall be taking the ttain. Takes about 12 hours door to door from London.
I agree about the airport experience but don't really want to travel to London.

Hey GailGwyn, let's hope they're still letting us in to Europe in 2019.. I have a feeling a lot will happen between now and then, so any current plane schedules might not be so useful at this point!
A couple of ideas: Have you been in touch with Ultreia Mancunia, which is a camino group based up in the North West? You can find them via this discussion or use the search function in the top right corner to find out more about what they are doing and how to contact them. You can also contact them via the CSJ . In the meantime the search function on the forum (top right corner) is pretty handy for reviewing previous discussions about flying options from Liverpool and Madchester.
Cheers, tom

If you have time then travelling by train is a great way to unwind before you start your Camino.
The only drawback as you've said is having to travel through London. I started from the North
of England and decided to make my overnight stay Paris rather than London and enjoyed it.
Massively cheaper as well. The Man in Seat 61 ( www.seat61.com ) has great advice on booking
tickets and places to stay. By the time I reached Irun I was ready for my walk

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey GailGwyn, let's hope they're still letting us in to Europe in 2019.. I have a feeling a lot will happen between now and then, so any current plane schedules might not be so useful at this point!
A couple of ideas: Have you been in touch with Ultreia Mancunia, which is a camino group based up in the North West? You can find them via this discussion or use the search function in the top right corner to find out more about what they are doing and how to contact them. You can also contact them via the CSJ . In the meantime the search function on the forum (top right corner) is pretty handy for reviewing previous discussions about flying options from Liverpool and Madchester.
Cheers, tom

Thanks Tom. I'll try Ultrea Mancunia. Never used a forum before so struggling a bit. Apologies if I send things twice.

If you have time then travelling by train is a great way to unwind before you start your Camino.
The only drawback as you've said is having to travel through London. I started from the North
of England and decided to make my overnight stay Paris rather than London and enjoyed it.
Massively cheaper as well. The Man in Seat 61 ( www.seat61.com ) has great advice on booking
tickets and places to stay. By the time I reached Irun I was ready for my walk

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Introibo. The idea of travelling the whole way by train appeals. How long did it take to get to Paris? Also, how long is the train journey from Paris to SJPP? I'll have a look at seat61.com. I've used that site in the past for info, it's very goid. Thank you.

Fly from Manchester ( possibly LPL as well) to Bordeaux then take bus to train station. Train from there to Bayonne change there for local train to SJPdeP.

Fly from Manchester ( possibly LPL as well) to Bordeaux then take bus to train station. Train from there to Bayonne change there for local train to SJPdeP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Fleur, I'll look into this option. Thank you.

Airport bus from Bordeaux airport will take you to Bordeaux St. Jean railway station. Service I believe is roughly every 30 minutes.

Hi Introibo. The idea of travelling the whole way by train appeals. How long did it take to get to Paris? Also, how long is the train journey from Paris to SJPP? I'll have a look at seat61.com. I've used that site in the past for info, it's very goid. Thank you.

I'm going next Monday. My train departs Paris Montparnasse at 1252, arrives Bayonne at 1646. Train to SJ leaves Bayonne at 1810, arriving 1916, so about 6.5 hours including a 90ish minute wait at Bayonne.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm going next Monday. My train departs Paris Montparnasse at 1252, arrives Bayonne at 1646. Train to SJ leaves Bayonne at 1810, arriving 1916, so about 6.5 hours including a 90ish minute wait at Bayonne.

That sounds reasonable then Ian Afloat. Maybe we could fly to Paris and either carry straight on or stay overnight in Paris then catch the train the next day. Are you staying overnight in Paris?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Ned

I've emailed you.

That sounds reasonable then Ian Afloat. Maybe we could fly to Paris and either carry straight on or stay overnight in Paris then catch the train the next day. Are you staying overnight in Paris?

No, getting Eurostar 0700 Monday and then across Paris to make connection.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Note that the EuroStar experience is a bit different than ordinary trains. It is more like the airport experience with restricted access to platform, baggage X-ray, security screening and passport control.

-Paul

Last year at Santiago railway station our bags were screened and we were only allowed on to the platform after that. At Irun a similar experience, we waited in a holding area though I don't remember our luggage being screened. Names were checked against a list before we boarded and again on various trains.

As others have done, I want to put in a vote for taking the Eurostar train from London to Paris, change stations via Metro and take TGV to Bayonne. Then normal train to SJPdP.

I have done this on my first camino, and compared to the experience on my 3rd camino of flying to Madrid, then train to Santiago for the Finisterre route, it was much better mental preparation for the journey. Time to relish the journey ahead and enjoy being in foreign climes before the camino. My 2nd camino was Eusotar to PAris, then TGV to Barcelona and then overnight train to Santiago for train to Ferrol for the Ingles.

I am not a train freak, but the contrast with flying and airports is huge, and entirely appropriate for the journey that is the Camino.

Planning my 4th camino to re-do the Frances in October 17 and it will be train again, if at all possible.

Leaving London in morning and arriving in SJPdP in evening is not that much slower than plane, but hugely more enjoyable and enriching culturally and spiritually.

Standard forum disclaimer : each to his own.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ryan Air from Stansted and Easy Jet from Gatwick to Biarritz.

Chronoplus #14 local bus from Biarritz Anglet Airport to Gare Bayonne.

SNCF TER Aquitaine train #62 from Bayonne to SJPdP.

If you arrive too late to catch the last train stay at Bayonne and catch the 0745 train.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back