A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it


Luggage Transfer Correos

Travel from USA passport question


New Member
So I have never been a world traveler, Canada and the Virgin Island is about it. I just got my new passport in the mail the other day and booked some flights to and from spain for Sept. and Oct. I am wondering if my passport and a drivers license is all the documentation I will need? Probably a stupid question but from my search on passports all them delt with the pilgrim passport.


no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
Your passport is all you need for travel to Europe. For admittance to some albergues, you also need a credential. Your driver's license is not required except to drive.


Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013)
Camino Portuguese (2017)
Hi NCfishboy,

You won't need your driver's license, just your passport. I am planning my Camino for Sept. 16 through Oct. 31. What flights have you booked? I haven't purchased my tickets, still waiting and watching prices. I'm flying from CA. It looks like the best price for me is into London and home from Madrid. A connecting flight from London to Biarittz is pretty cheap on Ryanair.


Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Unless you are planning to rent a car you will not need your driver's license. However, if you do think you might rent a car after say your walk then consider bringing your driver's license and getting an international driver's license too.

One more important thing to get and take is additional medical coverage and you should carry something with you to provides contact information, etc. You may have this medical coverage through your employment, travel association, or by some other means, but check in any case.

Finally carry photos copies of your important document (passport, credit card, insurance, etc) in your money belt


Active Member
As others have said, all you need for travel is your passport.

However... some shops in Europe will want to see photo ID if you're paying by credit card. It can be helpful to take your driving licence as it can be a more pocket-sized ID to carry with you, should you need it.

It's worth keeping a copy of you passport (or at least a note of your passport number, issue date and location) with you to smooth the way should your passport vanish.


Active Member
Camino(s) past & future
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
Just take your passport. As a foreigner your drivers licence will not always be accepted as ID. In addition, it's actually a legal requirement to keep your passport on you at all times. EU citizens, with the exception of the UK, have ID cards which they can be asked to show at any time. The rest of us must have our passports.

Besides carrying copies of your passport, scan it in to your computer, then attach it to an email and email it to yourself. That way, even if you lose all documents, you can get a copy...especially useful until you get to an embassy or consulate for a replacement.


Active Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances "2013" had to stop half way due to tendonitis ... Continuing May 2014..postponed to 2015. SdC to Muxia 2016.
So, as an English 'person', having retired to France, do I need to take my UK passport (hotels? etc.) when I start my Camino from home in France?......5 weeks to go....

Camino(s) past & future
2002, Toulouse/Aragon 2005, Cami S Jaume/Aragon 2007/9, Mont Saint Michel/Norte/Vadiniense 2011, Norte/Primitivo 2013, Norte/Primitivo 2014. Norte 2015, Cami S Jaume/Castellano-Aragonese 2016
@Lazaret. You need to have a valid identity document with you. If you do not have a DNI (the Spanish one) or its French equivalent, then a parallel UK document or your passport will do.


Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Take your French Carte de Sejour and your UK Passport with you. Your French Vitale card for health insurance is also important.

Buen Camino,
Margaret Meredith


Active Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances "2013" had to stop half way due to tendonitis ... Continuing May 2014..postponed to 2015. SdC to Muxia 2016.
Thank you Margaret. Have a carte de sejour, but it is now out of date as they are not issued anymore to us ex-pats. Just wanted to avoid taking UK passport (huge weight!) and thought perhaps a photocopy would do. Carte Vitale (and the EHIC card too?) ready packed (not heavy!)

34 days to go........ Karin


Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Usually an EU drivers license is considered ID by the police. All the news ones these days are EU format .

If you scan the stuff save copies to your phone. For the copy emailed to yourself make sure you can access the account easily. Some thing like Gmail/yahoo that keeps the emails on the servers is better then some thing that deletes them after you download the new ones.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here




Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

  • January

    Votes: 12 1.3%
  • February

    Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

    Votes: 41 4.3%
  • April

    Votes: 142 14.9%
  • May

    Votes: 237 24.9%
  • June

    Votes: 72 7.6%
  • July

    Votes: 20 2.1%
  • August

    Votes: 15 1.6%
  • September

    Votes: 278 29.2%
  • October

    Votes: 114 12.0%
  • November

    Votes: 12 1.3%
  • December

    Votes: 5 0.5%