• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel from USA passport question

NCfishboy

So I have never been a world traveler, Canada and the Virgin Island is about it. I just got my new passport in the mail the other day and booked some flights to and from spain for Sept. and Oct. I am wondering if my passport and a drivers license is all the documentation I will need? Probably a stupid question but from my search on passports all them delt with the pilgrim passport.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Your passport is all you need for travel to Europe. For admittance to some albergues, you also need a credential. Your driver's license is not required except to drive.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi NCfishboy,

You won't need your driver's license, just your passport. I am planning my Camino for Sept. 16 through Oct. 31. What flights have you booked? I haven't purchased my tickets, still waiting and watching prices. I'm flying from CA. It looks like the best price for me is into London and home from Madrid. A connecting flight from London to Biarittz is pretty cheap on Ryanair.

Unless you are planning to rent a car you will not need your driver's license. However, if you do think you might rent a car after say your walk then consider bringing your driver's license and getting an international driver's license too.

One more important thing to get and take is additional medical coverage and you should carry something with you to provides contact information, etc. You may have this medical coverage through your employment, travel association, or by some other means, but check in any case.

Finally carry photos copies of your important document (passport, credit card, insurance, etc) in your money belt

As others have said, all you need for travel is your passport.

However... some shops in Europe will want to see photo ID if you're paying by credit card. It can be helpful to take your driving licence as it can be a more pocket-sized ID to carry with you, should you need it.

It's worth keeping a copy of you passport (or at least a note of your passport number, issue date and location) with you to smooth the way should your passport vanish.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just take your passport. As a foreigner your drivers licence will not always be accepted as ID. In addition, it's actually a legal requirement to keep your passport on you at all times. EU citizens, with the exception of the UK, have ID cards which they can be asked to show at any time. The rest of us must have our passports.

Trudy

Besides carrying copies of your passport, scan it in to your computer, then attach it to an email and email it to yourself. That way, even if you lose all documents, you can get a copy...especially useful until you get to an embassy or consulate for a replacement.

So, as an English 'person', having retired to France, do I need to take my UK passport (hotels? etc.) when I start my Camino from home in France?......5 weeks to go....

Karin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@Lazaret. You need to have a valid identity document with you. If you do not have a DNI (the Spanish one) or its French equivalent, then a parallel UK document or your passport will do.

Larazet,
Take your French Carte de Sejour and your UK Passport with you. Your French Vitale card for health insurance is also important.

Buen Camino,
Margaret Meredith

Thank you Margaret. Have a carte de sejour, but it is now out of date as they are not issued anymore to us ex-pats. Just wanted to avoid taking UK passport (huge weight!) and thought perhaps a photocopy would do. Carte Vitale (and the EHIC card too?) ready packed (not heavy!)

34 days to go........ Karin

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Usually an EU drivers license is considered ID by the police. All the news ones these days are EU format .

If you scan the stuff save copies to your phone. For the copy emailed to yourself make sure you can access the account easily. Some thing like Gmail/yahoo that keeps the emails on the servers is better then some thing that deletes them after you download the new ones.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back