Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

Travel Guides, Maps, Books - Do I need more than a Camino on

travelingdina

I'm used to traveling lonely-planet style.

I plan on doing a little bit of site-seeing, but, obviously, don't want to carry very much.

Can I really get by with no maps and just one of the specific VdlP guidebooks???

Thanks!

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Pilgrim Pouch carry bags with different designs
A lightweight carry bag handy for walking, biking, traveling, & Caminos

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo

peregrina2000

Staff member
Although I only was able to walk part of the Vdlp (Sevilla till Caceres) due to a foot problem, my definite opinion is that when I go back I will take more than the Confraternity guide. I have walked several different Caminos, always using only the CSJ guides, but this time I found that there were many places when walking directions were needed and were just not there in the guide.

English speakers found Alison Raju's Cicerone guide to be very detailed and helpful. It's a 2006 edition, I think. Spaniards I walked with printed out the pages of the Consumer Eroski website. They are incredibly detailed and saved us from getting lost several times when the CSJ guide would not have. If you speak Spanish, I'd highly recommend that option.

I know it's hard for guidebooks to be up to date on the latest roadworks and the rapidly growing number of albergues, but I think either of the two options I describe is a useful (even necessary) supplement to the CSJ guide. Laurie

I have only walked from Seville to Monasterio so far, but I am very pleased with the guidebook I used (and yes, I agree with the others that you do need a guide book) for the Plata. I am using La Via de la Plata A Pie Y En Bicicleta: Monumentos, Paisajes, Albergues, Etapas. It has maps (including elevation), very clear directions and detailed information on accommodation, shops, etc. It also comes in a ring binding, so you can keep the book in your bag and just have the day's pages in your pocket. It is, of course, in Spanish. It is not the lightest guide I have ever used, nor is it cheap (it cost me 23 euros). However, I feel that it was well worth the weight and the price.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads