• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel health insurance for canadian

Dani7

Stop wishing, start doing.
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2023 from Bayonne.
Camino Podiensis & CF 2026
Hi everyone. Travel insurance has evolved since 2020. I’m wondering where to start looking for the best most comprehensive travel insurance policy I can get that will cover all medical care needs including covid related illness (as covid is still around).

Thanks to all who respond. There is way too much information out there and wanted some help from someone who has done a Camino in 2022 and who they used as a policy.

I will be doing the Frances to Finnistere starting in Bayonne via Voie de la Nive in April 2023.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi everyone. Travel insurance has evolved since 2020. I’m wondering where to start looking for the best most comprehensive travel insurance policy I can get that will cover all medical care needs including covid related illness (as covid is still around).

Thanks to all who respond. There is way too much information out there and wanted some help from someone who has done a Camino in 2022 and who they used as a policy.

I will be doing the Frances to Finnistere starting in Bayonne via Voie de la Nive in April 2023.
My choice:

Whatever policy you get, make sure it extends to whatever number of days you are abroad. Some only cover up to 30 days for one trip.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I walked last year, so within the Covid Era. I bought my travel insurance through my bank (RBC), my policy covered flight delays/lost luggage/all medical care/transport of my dead body back home :D . At the time, anything Covid was not covered. It was $350 for 10 weeks. I also had a crappy travel insurance option through my partner's insurance. I had all the time in the world so I did not have to panic if I had to stay in one place for a week.

Do you have private insurance on top of your provincial health insurance from your workplace? If you do, give them a call to inquire about Covid-19 coverage. Ours (Green Shield Canada) temporarily modified its coverage to include Covid-19 related medical expenses.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Canadian in the same boat.
I have searched and priced them all. By chance I was introduced to Battison Ins. ( I am probably not allowed to divulge phone #s on this site but I am sure if you google ) but "this is the guy". Ray has all the companies that offer Canadian insurance, he is the least expensive, but most important you talk to someone who will listen to your personal needs and will fit insurance to them. All they ( Ray and his son Kip ) do is travel insurance call them, you will not be disappointed.

I just got back from Santiago a few weeks ago. We got travel insurance which included Covid, luggage, health, etc through our travel agent. The policy was with Manulife and covered us for the entire 6 weeks we were gone. $442 CAD each

inquire about Covid-19 coverage
I believe that Covid treatment is generally covered just like treatment for the flu or any other such illness. (But I am not at all an expert on the topic, so if someone knows otherwise, please respond!)

For a period of time there were some special circumstances, but I think they are gone now:
  • When government advisories were in place advising people NOT to travel, the insurance companies sometimes did not cover you if you chose to travel against those advisories and got sick with Covid.
  • Additional expenses (hotels, trip cancellation, etc.) related to quarantines, and not being able to fly because of positive tests and airline/country restrictions.
You should still make sure you have good medical coverage in place for your travel - with all the usual considerations including length of trip, pre-existing conditions, repatriation, etc., and perhaps a heightened awareness that pandemics exist.

P.S. I am lucky that I have very good travel insurance in the retirement package from my former employer, so I don't need to buy any more medical coverage. I choose not to buy any insurance for trip cancellation, delay, or luggage loss.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My choice:
I have not done the Camino yet, but I have travel medical insurance with Blue Cross
When shopping for quotes, Blue Cross was slightly lower than Medipac when I called in March of this year. Therefore, I used Blue Cross again this year.

Blue Cross has been recommended to me and has been used by a good friend for many years. I used them in 2020 for my trip to Malaysia & Singapore.

Blue Cross travel include their Flight Delay Service at no extra cost to anyone with Blue Cross travel insurance. It provides you a range of benefits if your flight is delayed, including access to an airport lounge or even a hotel room, depending on the length of the delay.

Another company I called (referred to me by a member of a senior club) is:

Good luck and all the best in finding a travel medical insurance.

I would recommend CAA. I travel a lot and appreciate that they cover COVID and a reasonable to work with. As part of the insurance coverage they provide a few additional services. Enjoy you Camino.

BCAA in British Columbia is good. I would check a few out and they will insure you depending on your age and health. I have Johnson through BC retired teachers association and it is excellent.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have not done the Camino yet, but I have travel medical insurance with Blue Cross
When shopping for quotes, Blue Cross was slightly lower than Medipac when I called in March of this year. Therefore, I used Blue Cross again this year.

Blue Cross has been recommended to me and has been used by a good friend for many years. I used them in 2020 for my trip to Malaysia & Singapore.

Blue Cross travel include their Flight Delay Service at no extra cost to anyone with Blue Cross travel insurance. It provides you a range of benefits if your flight is delayed, including access to an airport lounge or even a hotel room, depending on the length of the delay.

Another company I called (referred to me by a member of a senior club) is:

Good luck and all the best in finding a travel medical insurance.
I have Blue Cross at work so I'll check with them for travel insurance. Thanks.

Do you have private insurance on top of your provincial health insurance from your workplace? If you do, give them a call to inquire about Covid-19 coverage. Ours (Green Shield Canada) temporarily modified its coverage to include Covid-19 related medical expenses.
I do not have private insurance but appreciate your response.

Thanks, I have GSC so will also look at them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I will be doing the Frances to Finnistere starting in Bayonne via Voie de la Nive in April 2
I'm Canadian and I've used my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card.
I'm Canadian and I've used my TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Card. If your below 65 years old the first 21 days of travel are covered and if you travel for a longer period of time you can top up your coverage for up to 60 days. If your over 65 the first 4 days of travel are covered and then you pay for additional days. I have purchased up 60 days of coverage at a time and if I don't travel for that many days they have reimbursed me.

World Nomads has quite good coverage at reasonable prices. I used them before I got out of country medical insurance through my work. You can get a quote on the website easily too. Good luck.
Thank you but they don’t cover past 65. Just tried to get a quote online. I’m 66 and it would not let me get a quote because of my age. 🥹🤨😳

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you but they don’t cover past 65. Just tried to get a quote online. I’m 66 and it would not let me get a quote because of my age. 🥹🤨😳
As a fellow Canadian you should check out C.A.R.P. and their recommended travel insurance providers for seniors. Had a travel insurer called "goodtogoinsurance.com" recommended to me recently but have not checked them out as of yet.
Cheers eh!

Last edited:
Good morning. Just wanted to update this thread. I have purchased my medical and trip cancellation with SoNomads (they are in Montreal) for 49 days. Covered for everything including any covid related illness for $298.90. Incredible price. The underwriter for the medical is National Life and Fire Insurance who have an excellent rating. I’ve done my research on both these companies.

The price reflects the fact I have no health issues and am, blessedly, in good condition.

Worth contacting them for a quote to compare. Berkshire insurance in the US partnered with them for US citizens travelling in canada.

Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.