• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel / Health Insurance

billmclaughlin

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP/Burgos 2012; Le Puy/SJPP 2013; Aumont Aubrac/Aire sur l'Adour 2014; Burgos/Santiago 2016.
To follow up on an earlier discussion about the advisability of travel and/or health insurance......

Everyone's needs are different, of course, but I found when I purchased my airline ticket on Expedia that they offered an insurance package for US$42 that provided the standard travel insurance (airfare and baggage loss) and just the sort of health coverage I was looking for, especially medical and evacuation coverage. I like the fact that it covers the cost of flying someone over to visit me if I'm in the hospital for more than a week.

Some may find it a useful option. And it's comforting to know there's money to ship one's body home, though calling it "repatriation" is peculiar.

http://aontravelprotect.net/exc/total_plan.html

An addendum based on discussion below. I had to enter my date of birth in the course of purchasing my ticket, so the system knew my age was 66. I don't see any age-related exclusions.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have been using Squaremouth.com for the last few years. It was first recommended here by a member.
The provider that works for me is Tin Leg....despite the funny names.

I do not get the "travel" coverage just medical and medical evacuation insurance. Very cheap that way.

Two important things to watch for are that the insurance is Primary and not secondary insurance.
The amount of evac coverage is important also and does not increase the premium much to add to the amount of coverage.

The myth that pilgrims get free medical care is still being posted in places.
It is simply not true.
In the past many of us were not billed because they had no system to bill foreigners.
Now they are billing you long after you return home. The charges can be very low or extremely high....even by US standards.

Some still slip through the cracks and report that. This perpetuates the myth that care is free.

The insurance is very cheap and is a no brainer.

I have been using Squaremouth.com for the last few years. It was first recommended here by a member.
The provider that works for me is Tin Leg....despite the funny names.

I do not get the "travel" coverage just medical and medical evacuation insurance. Very cheap that way.

Two important things to watch for are that the insurance is Primary and not secondary insurance.
The amount of evac coverage is important also and does not increase the premium much to add to the amount of coverage.

The myth that pilgrims get free medical care is still being posted in places.
It is simply not true.
In the past many of us were not billed because they had no system to bill foreigners.
Now they are billing you long after you return home. The charges can be very low or extremely high....even by US standards.

Some still slip through the cracks and report that. This perpetuates the myth that care is free.

The insurance is very cheap and is a no brainer.
I believe you are in Seattle grayland, do you know, is this sold only in the U.S.? My challenge now is finding affordable insurance because of my age. I'm in perfect health and always score the highest on medical questionnaires but can't believe the quotes I'm getting from Canadian carriers so still looking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maggie..I am only a couple years younger than you.
It does get more expensive with age. ..but I find Squaremouth to offer insurance for us at an affordable price

Did you go to the site and try to get a quote?
Enter your location and compare some policies.
I have been using Tinleg but Travelguard is a very close second for me.

Remember that trip insurance tends to be cheaper AND. There are often health restriction waivers if purchased within 2 weeks of buying your flight

It does get more expensive with age. ..but I find Squaremouth to offer insurance for us at an affordable price

I'll definitely check it out for a quote. Many thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Remember that trip insurance tends to be cheaper AND. There are often health restriction waivers if purchased within 2 weeks of buying your flight

Great reminder Nanc..
Very important.
I find the easiest way to do it is to sort out whic policy fits you....then wait until you order your outbound flight.
Order the insurance right after you pull the trigger on the flight.
This way you will qualify for all existing conditions with most polices.

Very important.

off topic, but only a wee bit. Grayland, I just am re-reading your past and future walks; what an inspiration you are.

off topic, but only a wee bit. Grayland, I just am re-reading your past and future walks; what an inspiration you are.
I just booked my travel insurance for my Camino next year through Squaremouth. I have used it several times now and fortunately, have not had to use it. This time, I unfortunately waited too long (after booking my flight) to include pre-existing medical conditions, although I doubt that any pre-existing conditions would come into play for me. Pre-existing medical and cancellation for any reason seem to be the items that can really drive the price up. As you go through the various filters in Squaremouth as to what kinds of coverage you want, you will find that adding many of them does not affect the price since they are very low risk to the plan. So, play around with it a bit before choosing your coverage options.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just booked my travel insurance for my Camino next year through Squaremouth. I have used it several times now and fortunately, have not had to use it. This time, I unfortunately waited too long (after booking my flight) to include pre-existing medical conditions, although I doubt that any pre-existing conditions would come into play for me. Pre-existing medical and cancellation for any reason seem to be the items that can really drive the price up. As you go through the various filters in Squaremouth as to what kinds of coverage you want, you will find that adding many of them does not affect the price since they are very low risk to the plan. So, play around with it a bit before choosing your coverage options.
Thanks, I'll wait until I'm close to booking my flight. appreciate all these great comments.

As a responsible traveller I always have sufficient travel insurance to cover medical and evacuation costs. But I never cease to be amazed at the number of travellers (of ALL ages) who take the "it can never happen to me" attitude and then SCREAM at their Embassy/Consulate to cover their medical costs and extra airfares to evacuate them home. Some years ago the Australia Govt (via the then Foreign Minister) announced that it would no longer be responsible for these costs/charges. In effect what the Minister said was "if you cannot afford the travel insurance you cannot afford to travel". The examples above show how "cheap" travel insurance can be. Congratulations & thanks to Bill and others for this post (all we now need is for more pilgrims to read them and act).

Last edited:
I believe you are in Seattle grayland, do you know, is this sold only in the U.S.? My challenge now is finding affordable insurance because of my age. I'm in perfect health and always score the highest on medical questionnaires but can't believe the quotes I'm getting from Canadian carriers so still looking.

Maggie....
I did look at Squaremouth for quotes in your location (age + BC, Canada)
It only returned one option which was very high as you reported.

Insurance company availability is governed by residence location (state, providence) and it looks like BC is very limited. Bummer

There may be other sites that have more companies on offer if you do some google searches.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As a responsible traveller I always have sufficient travel insurance to cover medical and evacuation costs. But I never cease to be amazed at the number of travellers (or ALL ages) who take the "it can never happen to me" attitude and then SCREAM at their Embassy/Consulate to cover their medical costs and extra airfares to evacuate them home. Some years ago the Australia Govt (via the then Foreign Minister) announced that it would no longer be responsible for these costs/charges. In effect what the Minister said was "if you cannot afford the travel insurance you cannot afford to travel". The examples above show how "cheap" travel insurance can be. Congratulations & thanks to Bill and others for this post (all we now need is for more pilgrims to read them and act).
I find this post harsh, to the point of offensive by 'assuming' many on this forum are irresponsible. I highly doubt that. One of the many blessings of this forum is sharing helpful ways for needed information and the many suggestions offered for the best solution for each one's situation.

Maggie....
I did look at Squaremouth for quotes in your location (age + BC, Canada)
It only returned one option which was very high as you reported.

Insurance company availability is governed by residence location (state, providence) and it looks like BC is very limited. Bummer

There may be other sites that have more companies on offer if you do some google searches.
Many thanks again Grayland. I will go with the best quote no matter what the price.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I find this post harsh, to the point of offensive by 'assuming' many on this forum are irresponsible. I highly doubt that. One of the many blessings of this forum is sharing helpful ways for needed information and the many suggestions offered for the best solution for each one's situation.
You quite entitled to your opinion, and my post does not "assume" that many are irresponsible. My post was directed at those who do not take out travel insurance but still expect to be assisted (by their embassy) should the need arise and if you have read any of my previous posts you will see that I am nearly always respectful of fellow pilgrims.
What I am taking about is covering yourself for major medical treatments (hospitalisation!). Its a total different situation for EU citizen verses those from non-EU countries. Yes the medical centres on the Camino do provide basic treatment for minor injuries for which the pilgrim is most grateful, but Spain does not (and cannot be expected to) provide free hospital treatment to all and sundry.
As we say in Australia "if the cap fits, wear it" (in other words take out travel insurance or be prepared to carry the cost).

You quite entitled to your opinion, and my post does not "assume" that many are irresponsible. My post was directed at those who do not take out travel insurance but still expect to be assisted (by their embassy) should the need arise and if you have read any of my previous posts you will see that I am nearly always respectful of fellow pilgrims.
What I am taking about is covering yourself for major medical treatments (hospitalisation!). Its a total different situation for EU citizen verses those from non-EU countries. Yes the medical centres on the Camino do provide basic treatment for minor injuries for which the pilgrim is most grateful, but Spain does not (and cannot be expected to) provide free hospital treatment to all and sundry.
As we say in Australia "if the cap fits, wear it" (in other words take out travel insurance or be prepared to carry the cost).

You are preaching to choir

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A client of mine recently received a $4,000 medical bill from his trip he took over 9 months ago. Since he didn't receive a bill at the time of his medical care, he had forgotten about it. He paid it and I was able to help him get reimbursed from his travel insurance company.

I would recommend speaking to a person / insurance agent before you buy a policy online. Make sure the company has someone who can help you in getting reimbursed or coordinate emergency medical transportation.

Most travel insurance policies are inexpensive, usually a couple bucks a day.

:)

'Most travel policies are inexpensive, usually a couple bucks a day'

Not when you are 80 years young!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
People should spend at least as much time arranging travel/health insurance as they do on deciding which shoes and backpack to take. Or they should be extraordinarily rich, and exceedingly lucky. If nothing else, make arrangements to get your body back (should, God forbid, you die), so it's not dumped on your grieving loved ones to figure it out. Not all of them will leave a successful/lucrative ophthalmology practice, fly to France, cremate you, and distribute your ashes along The Way

Travel insurance for $42 ! . How I envy the reasonable premiums charged by overseas companies .
Australian travel insurance for a sixty year old with no immediate health concerns for six weeks in Italy cost close to Aus $800. per person.
Even so I wouldn't leave the front door without it .

I got my quote this week on medical insurance for my walk in Scotland this coming May/June. I went back to the (Canadian) company I've used for my volunteer trips to India over the years and last year's Camino. Absolutely no medical problems (other than bronchitis on the Camino). My cost for the plan will be $1,200. My plane fare is $1,400.

€83,-
I got my quote this week on medical insurance for my walk in Scotland this coming May/June. I went back to the (Canadian) company I've used for my volunteer trips to India over the years and last year's Camino. Absolutely no medical problems (other than bronchitis on the Camino). My cost for the plan will be $1,200. My plane fare is $1,400.
Yikes!

€83,-
Not a day goes by that I don't give thanks Cclearly. A former T'ai Chi Master in Seattle where I once studied used to say to us "If you're the richest man in the hospital, you're still in the hospital".

I just got three weeks coverage for medical and emergency evacuation for $19 U.S. It all may depend on what you ask for. Airfare repayment coverage for canceling your flight might be expensive because it will be a common payoff for the insurance company. Emergency evacuation costs to $50,000 will have a claim very rarely. I can afford to lose a $1,200 ticket for which I have already paid. I cannot afford a $50,000 evacuation. Insurance is best viewed as protection against something devastating. Paying to get a leg up on the constant financial drip of life is probably not a good investment. If I need some routine medical care, I will pay the 100E it is likely to cost. My travel insurance covers $10,000 emergency medical if I have a heart attack. Again, the choice is about what I can afford. In the U.S. I have medical insurance for treatment, so in Spain all I will need is to be kept alive and flown home! So that is what I covered with insurance. The policy is with Allianz through the American Airlines website.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Maggie

Try this site... and compare

https://www.canadiandirect.com

You can get an online quote at this site or here

https://sell.tugo.com/consumerexpress-app/VerifyPartner.b2c?pc=CDI001

I have used them for the last 3-4 trips and I found them the most affordable compared to the rank and file insurance companies

Most read last week in this forum

I'm about a 6 weeks away from beginning the French Camino. Depending on how I feel when I get to St. Jean, I will either take a train back to Portugal, or continue on to Santiago. In the...
Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.