• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Insurance advice?

newpilgrim21

Time of past OR future Camino
(Summer 2021 if possible)
We're walking the Camino Portugues for the first time next month and was thinking of buying travel insurance for our trip. This is our first time buying travel insurance and would appreciate any advice or previous experiences.

I found these two options on the VisitPortugal tourism website (https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/portugal-travel-insurance) and it seems to cover trip cancellation and travel interruption due to COVID which is our biggest concern due to our non-refundable flight tickets and hotel reservations as well as if we had to quarantine in a hotel and delay our departure in case we tested positive while on the Camino. Has anyone used either of these travel insurance plans or any other private insurance options?

Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you buy insurance with your plane tickets it may cover Covid expenses. Mine does. If you buy travel insurance after the fact (quite a while after booking your trip) then travel insurance will be more expensive. In many cases, you may have to pay out of pocket and file upon your return so make sure you have receipts for everything.

You would probably be better off buying your insurance from a US based company. The insurance will cover you while you are in both Portugal and Spain.
I bought my insurance for my trip through Squaremouth.com - you can compare policies and see ratings and reviews on the site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
To echo what @J Willhaus said, I purchased my travel medical insurance a couple of weeks before departure but had purchased my airline tickets 3 months earlier. I was unable to get a policy that covered pre-existing conditions. I was told this was due to it being purchased so long after buying my tickets. This was true on multiple web sites. Just have to hope nothing cardiac happens. 😀

We're walking the Camino Portugues for the first time next month and was thinking of buying travel insurance for our trip. This is our first time buying travel insurance and would appreciate any advice or previous experiences.

I found these two options on the VisitPortugal tourism website (https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/portugal-travel-insurance) and it seems to cancellation and travel interruption due to COVID which is our biggest concern due to our non-refundable flight tickets and hotel reservations as well as if we had to quarantine in a hotel and delay our departure in case we tested positive while on the Camino. Has anyone used either of these travel insurance plans or any other private insurance options?

Thank you!
Travel insurance in my opinion is a must. Om my first Camino, my wife was diagnosed with cancer, and I had to take a plane home immediately. And now finishing mythird one, I've been Bitten by a dog. I could go to a public hospital, but IT was far away, and my insurance made sure, I could go to a nearby private one. Which one is Up to your self.

I am sitting in an AirBnB across the river from Porto. On May 1 I was supposed to begin walking the Camino Portugues but on the night of April 30 I was rushed to the hospital for 8 hours of aortic dissection surgery followed by 8 days of ICU. Next week I meet with the surgeon and I hope to be cleared to go home to the United States.
My point is you cannot predict when you have an emergency or need medical insurance. I have an Annual plan with Allianz which I will try to claim but my husband has not yet begun the process
I will report final results.
Enjoy the Camino- I was embarking on my 5th. Ironically the AirBnB overlooks the central route. I am on the Camino but not as imagined!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back