• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel insurance for a UK citizen walking Camino Frances: Necessary/worth it?

Feetzgerald

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
As a UK citizen I can access healthcare in any EU country for free (or at least very little) using my EHIC/GHIC card. My flight to France was only around £50. I don't have my return flight booked yet. My luggage is probably worth no more than £200. My smartphone is insured separately. I'm 29 years old and relatively fit and have no underlying health conditions. On top of this, I don't know when I will finish the Camino and end my trip, so I'll probably end up being insured for too long or not long enough.

Travel insurance will cost me around £20-£30 but I can't see what I'm going to gain through having it that I'm not already covered for. Is there something that I'm not considering or is travel insurance really just not necessary for me?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are always insured. Sometimes you pay someone for the cover. Other times it is yourself as nothing is free.

The decision whether to go self-insured is down to your appetite for risk, and only you know that.

Two things EHIC GHIC won’t cover. If you had an accident and got taken to a private facility. That’s the big one. The other one is repatriation. If you had an accident and had to be return to UK on helicopter for example. I think for the small cost it worth it. The trade off becomes more difficult when travel insurance runs into a much higher cost!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
As a UK citizen I can access healthcare in any EU country for free (or at least very little) using my EHIC/GHIC card. My flight to France was only around £50. I don't have my return flight booked yet. My luggage is probably worth no more than £200. My smartphone is insured separately. I'm 29 years old and relatively fit and have no underlying health conditions. On top of this, I don't know when I will finish the Camino and end my trip, so I'll probably end up being insured for too long or not long enough.

Travel insurance will cost me around £20-£30 but I can't see what I'm going to gain through having it that I'm not already covered for. Is there something that I'm not considering or is travel insurance really just not necessary for me?
EHIC/GHIC provides health cover at no greater cost than a local would pay. Mostly free but not all. It does not cover medical repatriation if you are unable to travel independently nor repatriation of remains if you accidentally interact with one of those big trucks you'll encounter from time to time where the Camino hasn't been off-roaded. Nor is there any cover for additional expenses incurred by family or friends visiting or accompanying you.

In a standard risk assessment you might feel that the while the possibility is remote the impact might well be severe particularly if you have limited savings and/or insecure employment.

With those consideration in mind you have the choice of investing the cost of a couple of night accommodation or an evening in the pub in insuring yourself against those costs, or not.

Buen Camino

When you are older you will think how great a bargain travel insurance was when you were young!

I have been trekking (not camino) when someone had to be airlifted due illness!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We are all adults and make our own choices.
If your happy to go without additional insurance and are comfortable with the risk no probs!

Insurance in my kids minds is a waste of money!
I am an old bloke who thinks it covers a lot of what if's!
I pay £258 a year for my travel insurance cos i am old with health issues and i haven't claimed for 3 years;but i think of it like wearing a seat belt i would rather have it than not.

Cos when they backpacked round Europe last October through till end of January they said £70 for 3 months total for them both was a lot;and GHIC was going to be fine!

However me being daddy do right, and thinking about the high repatriation,private hospital treatment cost that they could incur when the worst happens i brought it for them!

It's that it won't happen to me attitude.(protecting yourself is a positive thing i know the b*ggers make a fortune)
Only thing is what you going to do when it go's wrong!
My kids would have expected dad to foot the bill;that £70 in my mind had the potential to save me thousands that's what insurance is for.
Oh dear that all sounds a bit preachy but i was defo trying to give good advice.
All the best
Buen Camino
Woody

Last edited:
What do you mean by "travel insurance"? It might help your decision making to consider the different components that might be included in different policies. Then you need to check the costs of each. I have no special knowledge of the insurance business, but think there are several different pieces and they do not always come together:
  1. Trip insurance for changes/cancellation/delay of your ticket, for various reasons. I don't buy this but I make sure there are acceptable conditions with the ticket that I pay for. If I lose the cost of my ticket, it will not break the bank.
  2. Lost luggage. I don't buy this. I can afford to replace my items.
  3. Medical/health care - This is the most important as it is potentially a severe financial burden and could break the bank! That is what I want insurance for. But I have very good coverage from my former employer, so I don't need to get extra.
  4. Repatriation in case you are dead or otherwise unable to travel on a normal airfare. This is a highly personal consideration.

I’m with @woody66 and @Tincatinker on this.

Insurers are like bookmakers, but with lower standards of ethics. They are betting against you having an issue. You seem to be regarded as a pretty safe bet.

I’ve got the GHIC also; although I’d prefer the format to be a little less jingoistic; and I back it up with an annual travel insurance policy, worldwide excluding the US for about £360 for two people.

For £30 for the trip if it covers a number of things that the GHIC doesn’t; I’d get it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For info UK has a number of reciprocal health agreements with other countries unrelated to the GHIC card. Top of head, some of the Balkan countries, Australia and New Zealand and a few more.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Check expiry date on your EHIC card. I have bought insurance but I am in a different age bracket (>55) and so have a different risk profile and risk appetite. New COVID variants are probably the biggest risk. As long as you have sufficient funds available to cover any extended isolation periods or flight changes you might be ok. Everyone has a different risk appetite - as long as you understand yours and have worked through contingencies then the insurance decision is yours to make.

Last edited:
You'll be aware, from the movie The Way that Tom travelled out to Spain to collect the cremated remains of Daniel and then scattered them along the route of the Camino Frances. Thereby saving himself a lot of complicated paperwork and costs in repatriating his son's mortals....

Who would have thought that the message to take from "The Way" was to get repatriation insurance.

I'm in the "take the insurance" camp.
The only components I'm interested in is:
Life cover while away: it'll pay for the mortgage
Repatriation cover if severely injured
Medical cover in a private facility if needed on top of EHIC.
Cover for pre existing medical conditions.
Everything else is a bonus.

Most likely will not need it, but repatriation and some medical cover has the potential to break the bank. For a smallish expense the peace of mind it provides is worth every cent

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for all the replies. I think I've been convinced that for £30 it's probably worth having. You never know what's going to happen and everyone says "it won't happen to me", but it always happens to someone. I can afford it so I may as well have it.
Take a look at how many days that £30 will cover. It sounds more like a normal 2 weeks trip policy. You need one for an extended stay for the length of your trip otherwise it's invalid. Even more difficult since brexit!

It will come in handy if you need it (hopefully you dont) but my bill was 30k dollars thank God I had it, and that did not include the changes to flights etc. Also we should not be a burden on another countries health system.

For info UK has a number of reciprocal health agreements with other countries unrelated to the GHIC card. Top of head, some of the Balkan countries, Australia and New Zealand and a few more.
At the moment in Australia there is a long wait at the public health system for example elective surgery has just started after Covid so long waits, yesterday 5 hours wait to get stitches in a cut foot?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Not necessary, provided that nothing happens that you haven’t thought of. Those of us who have “wasted” money on insurance and then have needed it will tell you otherwise.

I’m not a small print of guy but I have had to pay far more attention to T and C’s over the last couple of years and it’s an eye opener! Have always thought that as long as you disclosed pre existing conditions that was as tough as it got. But no!! Even a minor issue that is undiagnosed can make you struggle to get insurance. And if you have something even after buying the policy many require you to tell them! Latest one ( I am currently back packing South America) for UK folks yiu have to have been physically been in UK for 6 of the 12 months previous! I haven’t but thankfully I found a provider who don’t stipulate that!

Take a look at how many days that £30 will cover. It sounds more like a normal 2 weeks trip policy. You need one for an extended stay for the length of your trip otherwise it's invalid. Even more difficult since brexit!
Sorry why is that more difficult since UK left EU? Not a Brexit discussion but every policy I have looked at as Europe as a continent and doesn’t differentiate based on membership or otherwise of EU. I.e covers Croatia and Albania, Germany and Bosnia!

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Sorry why is that more difficult since UK left EU? Not a Brexit discussion but every policy I have looked at as Europe as a continent and doesn’t differentiate based on membership or otherwise of EU. I.e covers Croatia and Albania, Germany and Bosnia!
When we were part of Europe we had freedom to roam, but now we are only allowed to be in Europe for 90 days in any 180 days. So if you travel a lot you have to add all the trips up. Standard travel insurance policies usually cover you for a 1 or 2 week duration, and if it's any longer than you need to have cover for an "extended stay" which is different to the standard one.

When we were part of Europe we had freedom to roam, but now we are only allowed to be in Europe for 90 days in any 180 days. So if you travel a lot you have to add all the trips up. Standard travel insurance policies usually cover you for a 1 or 2 week duration, and if it's any longer than you need to have cover for an "extended stay" which is different to the standard one.
Thank you! I think travel insurance policies have evolved to cover either 1) length of trip, or 2) one year policies (with maximum trip lengths, And often a limit of say 183 days coverage per year). . For example i am currently on a 100 day single trip policy.

Re 90 day rule, yes aware of that but to clarify it is not a Europe wide policy it is just countries that are in EU (I think).

The 90 day rule applies to the Schengen treaty area, not Europe. A matter of no relevance to non-residents of the Schengen treaty area planning to travel to France and Spain.
For any that still think £30 is a bit of an investment- this old Pilg is copping quotes of £350 for 30 days in Andalusia. I’m researching quotes for local cremation 😉

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 90 day rule applies to the Schengen treaty area, not Europe. A matter of no relevance to non-residents of the Schengen treaty area planning to travel to France and Spain.
For any that still think £30 is a bit of an investment- this old Pilg is copping quotes of £350 for 30 days in Andalusia. I’m researching quotes for local cremation 😉
Yes in my younger days i would just tick my 1 year worldwide policy (including USA) and that was it! Now it’s a real epic!

Hmm making me rethink... I haven't decided whether to get Spanish residency yet, so will stick to the 90 day Schengen rule, but I have no insurance other than GHIC (Actually I'm not sure I'm even covered for that as I don't physically have the card here). Maybe I'll look into it as I'm definitely in the second half of my life.

It covers 34 days. It was actually only £25. Maybe it's low because I have no underlying health conditions and my age, but I've checked the policy documents and it definitely seems to cover everything and for the correct duration. I even paid a bit extra to be covered for hiking up to 2000m.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I know my situation is different to yours however .... On my third Camino, slipped on a wet slope just after Triacastella whilst taking a photo (with my phone, which of course flew into bushes out of reach when I fell) - broke two bones in left leg, waited immobile alone on wet cold track for two hours before someone came, finally picked up by paramedics, taken to Lugo Hospital where I spent two weeks then finally flown via five travel legs home to Australia ...I can only say, we all think these things happen to other people. Very thankful to the wonderful pilgrims who helped me that day ...and that I had insurance.

Attachments

• 27D7.jpeg
    27D7.jpeg
    267.7 KB · Views: 7
  • C377A9F2-92E9-4F88-BA2B-684131A2D5DB_1_105_c.jpeg
    C377A9F2-92E9-4F88-BA2B-684131A2D5DB_1_105_c.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
An interesting thread.
I am a "belt and braces" man when it comes to insurance. This is down to nothing more than when needed it will be because of circumstances that I have no control over. I have been that way throughout life. I purchase insurance not for the probability but the possibility.
I never leave my front door without some form of insurance whether that be National Insurance for my health, car insurance or home insurance or when travelling abroad, travel insurance.. Whenever I have needed this it has been beyond my control. Some insurance is mandatory and others optional. Rarely do I need to claim or derive any benefits but it is there for the eventuality that I do...and there have been ocassions when this has been necessary. Never do I feel the fact that I have paid a yearly premium and never used or claimed that it is wasted money...it is purely that..insurance.
The optional side of insurance depends on your attitude to risk and, should the worst happen, whether you feel comfortable that the financial burden could fall on others.
There will always be bumps along the way (small bumps in the car I pay for myself) but the big bumps could be life changing in more ways than one.

Last edited:
It covers 34 days. It was actually only £25. Maybe it's low because I have no underlying health conditions and my age, but I've checked the policy documents and it definitely seems to cover everything and for the correct duration. I even paid a bit extra to be covered for hiking up to 2000m.
Yes, youth and health work in your favour :D I think for that price it's a good option in case of an emergency to get back to the UK. Maybe see you in SJ on Saturday?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Two things EHIC GHIC won’t cover. If you had an accident and got taken to a private facility. That’s the big one. The other one is repatriation. If you had an accident and had to be return to UK on helicopter for example. I think for the small cost it worth it. The trade off becomes more difficult when travel insurance runs into a much higher cost!
Why would you need to return to the UK on a helicopter?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Why would you need to return to the UK on a helicopter?
Some injuries are best dealt with by transporting a passenger on a medical helicopter. Don’t ask me which ones but I know someone who has experienced this!. It may be cost related.. cheaper than a private plane! Also helicopters can fly at a lower altitude which may be a factor. Obviously for something like a broken leg (if not dealt with in the country of injury) you can buy say a row of seats and travel!

Also if someone has to be airlifted to safety. Had a fellow trekker who had this in Nepal. Admittedly less likely on Camino!

One more thing..some countries ask for covid insurance though not Spain or France!

Some injuries are best dealt with by transporting a passenger on a medical helicopter. Don’t ask me which ones but I know someone who has experienced this!. It may be cost related.. cheaper than a private plane! Also helicopters can fly at a lower altitude which may be a factor. Obviously for something like a broken leg (if not dealt with in the country of injury) you can buy say a row of seats and travel!

Also if someone has to be airlifted to safety. Had a fellow trekker who had this in Nepal. Admittedly less likely on Camino!

One more thing..some countries ask for covid insurance though not Spain or France!
Nepal is not the Camino. If a helicopter is used it is used to take a patient to the nearest medical facility for triage not for transportation back home. The vast majority of the Camino can be reached by a wheeled vehicle. Spain's medical facilities are excellent so no need for emergency transportation to another country. Medical transportation is different from emergency extraction as in when someone falls off a cliff.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.