A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Travel Insurance, Pre-existing Conditions

0 Euro Camino Bank Note

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
I am looking for advice and recommendations on purchasing travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, such as MS or heart conditions. (Not for me, but for some friends who aren't on this forum).

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Which country do you live in? That will make a big difference to answers. I have a couple of fairly minor conditions (osteoarthritis being the most significant) and most UK insurers will cover them with relatively modest increases in premium once they are declared and screened online by a automated service. I usually buy an annual travel policy and search for those which offer cover for the length of time of my longest expected journey as most if not all place limits on the duration of individual journeys within the 12 month period.

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Inglés (2018)
Thanks. My request for information is for travelers from the US.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
Thanks. My request for information is for travelers from the US.
I use insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase trip insurance. They have a checkbox for plans that have a pre existing condition waiver. In order to qualify for the waiver most of the plans require you to purchase the insurance within two weeks of making the initial payment for the trip. The waiver includes not just the traveler, but close family members for whom the traveler may have to cancel or cut short their trip to be with.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
You have to click "filters" and uncheck "recommended". Then you can check "Pre-existing Conditions Waiver".

This is how it looks on the mobile site.
Screenshot_20190814-075850_Firefox.jpg

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria to Santiago 2014
Pamplona to Santiago 2017
Norte. 2018
Look at Squaremouth dot com. You can compare policies and then pick one. Most cover pre existing if purchased soon after initial payment made for trip, which is usually your flight.

Evvie

Camino(s) past & future
September 2019
Look at Squaremouth dot com. You can compare policies and then pick one. Most cover pre existing if purchased soon after initial payment made for trip, which is usually your flight.
Correct. I started looking past the date that I purchased my flight and I couldn't find a policy that covered pre-existing conditions (I live in the US). I'm using Allianz and it will cover accidents and injuries.

Chris Gi

Camino(s) past & future
Did April through June 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago. 2020 May or end of September.
I am looking for advice and recommendations on purchasing travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, such as MS or heart conditions. (Not for me, but for some friends who aren't on this forum).
Try AAA

alhartman

Camino(s) past & future
Hope so!
I use squaremouth. they have filters including covering pre-existing conditions. Try it out but memory said 35 days in Spain went from a base of $250 to about $450. But that is from memory so check out their very usable site. I am USA and mid 70s.

Camino(s) past & future
Levant from Avila 2013
Primitivo (2019)
I am 82 and have had bowel cancer and a hip replacement. My travel insurance for our September start on the Primitivo was high. Airfare Sydney to Europe $1300, insurance the same amount.

alhartman

Camino(s) past & future
Hope so!
@Bob Chambers I just ran your 'numbers' thru Squaremouth. And it shows a policy by Trawick for $466 covering 9/16 to 10/31, age 82, Australia, preexisting conditions, primary medical, 25k medical emergency, $250k medical evacuation. No trip interruption, baggage, cancellation, etc.
if you are not irrevocably commited to a $1300 policy, try shopping at squaremouth. And I would recommend only taking coverages that you truly cannot afford if they happen (medical emergency, evacuation, preexisting conditions, etc). In prior shoppings, cancellation for any reason made policy much more expensive--and I can tolerate a $1300 hit if necessary. ie not an insurable risk for me
Needless to say that my shopping for you is not fully valid!!

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 165 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 265 24.4%