• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Insurance, Pre-existing Conditions

Theresa Brandon

Artist, photographer, dreamer
Time of past OR future Camino
Inglés '18, Ingles '19, Ingles '22, Portugues '22
I am looking for advice and recommendations on purchasing travel insurance that covers pre-existing conditions, such as MS or heart conditions. (Not for me, but for some friends who aren't on this forum).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Which country do you live in? That will make a big difference to answers. I have a couple of fairly minor conditions (osteoarthritis being the most significant) and most UK insurers will cover them with relatively modest increases in premium once they are declared and screened online by a automated service. I usually buy an annual travel policy and search for those which offer cover for the length of time of my longest expected journey as most if not all place limits on the duration of individual journeys within the 12 month period.

Thanks. My request for information is for travelers from the US.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks. My request for information is for travelers from the US.
I use insuremytrip.com to compare and purchase trip insurance. They have a checkbox for plans that have a pre existing condition waiver. In order to qualify for the waiver most of the plans require you to purchase the insurance within two weeks of making the initial payment for the trip. The waiver includes not just the traveler, but close family members for whom the traveler may have to cancel or cut short their trip to be with.

You have to click "filters" and uncheck "recommended". Then you can check "Pre-existing Conditions Waiver".

This is how it looks on the mobile site.
Screenshot_20190814-075850_Firefox.jpg

Look at Squaremouth dot com. You can compare policies and then pick one. Most cover pre existing if purchased soon after initial payment made for trip, which is usually your flight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Look at Squaremouth dot com. You can compare policies and then pick one. Most cover pre existing if purchased soon after initial payment made for trip, which is usually your flight.
Correct. I started looking past the date that I purchased my flight and I couldn't find a policy that covered pre-existing conditions (I live in the US). I'm using Allianz and it will cover accidents and injuries.

I use squaremouth. they have filters including covering pre-existing conditions. Try it out but memory said 35 days in Spain went from a base of $250 to about $450. But that is from memory so check out their very usable site. I am USA and mid 70s.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Bob Chambers I just ran your 'numbers' thru Squaremouth. And it shows a policy by Trawick for $466 covering 9/16 to 10/31, age 82, Australia, preexisting conditions, primary medical, 25k medical emergency, $250k medical evacuation. No trip interruption, baggage, cancellation, etc.
if you are not irrevocably commited to a $1300 policy, try shopping at squaremouth. And I would recommend only taking coverages that you truly cannot afford if they happen (medical emergency, evacuation, preexisting conditions, etc). In prior shoppings, cancellation for any reason made policy much more expensive--and I can tolerate a $1300 hit if necessary. ie not an insurable risk for me
Needless to say that my shopping for you is not fully valid!!

@Bob Chambers
my search may have picked up some old site cookies that left me as USA citizen.
In any case, do check out the site with your data.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.