• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel insurance

Any advise on travel insurance?

• Has anyone needed to use their insurance on the Camino.

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • If so, any information is appreciated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
This is strictly a personal choice and is relative to individuals sense of security. I have traveled a lot and I have never used travel insurance; however, I know of others that like to use it. Do what makes you feel most comfortable and confident.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Some do. Some don't.
Check with your credit card companies. Often they offer free travel insurance for trips you pay for on their card.
The airlines often offer it when you purchase your ticket.
Your home owner's insurance company may offer it.
AAA in the USA offers it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like to buy the ins offered when I purchase my ticket. It alleviates some of the stress due to missed flights / train / bus connections or if something happens prior to the trip since I usually book quite far in advance. But I learned the hard way, buyer beware - all insurance is not created equal. On my last trip, I purchased the travel insurance, thinking it would cover a couple of minor medical expenses, but found out too late that it didn't. For my next trip, I went back to my prior travel agency and bought their insurance (there is no requirement to buy the ticket from them). It is better insurance, including medical and even repatriation (heaven forbid) at the same low price. Although I have never had to use it, I trust that this agency would not sell a bad product. They are a well established student / teacher travel agency that I have used for years. www.statravel.com

Trip interruption/cancellation insurance has its place and it is up to the traveller to purchase or not. However, I consider that out-of-country emergency medical and travel assistance insurance are necessary for everyone as it will cover some of the expenses and help with things associated with whatever emergency such as repatriation, lodging and flight for a loved one to be by your side, help for a travel companion, etc. There are plenty of types of coverage from many different insurers. You have to shop around. Also check with your employee group insurance coverage, it may cover out-of-country already just as you credit card may have its own coverage. Read up on them, don't assume.

I am an EU citizen and speak Spanish, so I just carry my EHIC card, however if you are not an EU citizen and/or if you would prefer being transported home when ill instead of spending time in a Spanish hospital travel insurance is an absolut must have. If you are not properly insured and need medical attention, the bill could be huge very quickly.

Buen Camino, SY

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Any advise on travel insurance?
My husband and I have traveled a lot and had never purchased travel insurance. For our first Camino we had planned on walking for 5 weeks. On day 3 my hubs fell in a slippery shower and severely broke his hip. We had to use credit cards and bank transfers to pay for the surgery up front..€16,00.( cheap by US standards... all praise to University hospital in Pamplona.) Insurance would have been helpful!! Thankfully our Kaiser insurance promptly reimbursed us. I always get it now for international trips.

My husband and I have traveled a lot and had never purchased travel insurance. For our first Camino we had planned on walking for 5 weeks. On day 3 my hubs fell in a slippery shower and severely broke his hip. We had to use credit cards and bank transfers to pay for the surgery up front..€16,00.( cheap by US standards... all praise to University hospital in Pamplona.) Insurance would have been helpful!! Thankfully our Kaiser insurance promptly reimbursed us. I always get it now for international trips.

Thank you. What company do you use?

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back