• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Insurance

sprinter62

As it is gettin nearer to my start date , The next item on my list is Travel Insurance. Do I require ordinary travel cover or will I need special cover? Any help will be truly appreciated.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
What country are you from?

People from EU countries will be able to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at http://www.ehic.org . It is does not cover repatriation or loss of baggage or money but is well worth getting.

The EHIC can be used to cover any necessary medical treatment due to either an accident or illness within the European Economic Area (EEA). The EHIC entitles the holder to state-provided medical treatment within the country they are visiting.

Ordinary travel insurance is generally OK but check what you are allowed to do and not allowed to do, these vary from policy to policy.

William Marques said:
People from EU countries will be able to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) at http://www.ehic.org .

Please note that these expire (like passports), so check the card in good time before you leave.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've seen that site (ehic.org) is for UK citizens.
Me, as a citizen from Romania, which is UE member since 2007, what travel insurance do I need? Is it enough that one from our Health Gov. Ministery for injuries, hospital treatments or smth else?

Hi Rocknroll

I assume that as an EU member you will get the same health care in Spain as people from the UK or other European countries do. Best to check with the Romanian authorites though - and maybe you would let us know the answer in case others enquire.

Many people also arrange private travel insurance as has been said for the bits not already covered.

Regards

John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For information on the European Health Insurance Card and National Health Schemes for European citizens go via he EU portal http://europa.eu/ and search European Health Insurance Card in your own language.

Many people think an EHIC will be enough and don’t take out insurance. They regret this when they have to pay thousands of pounds for an air ambulance back to their home country or pay out for extra accommodation to stay with a very sick relative.

I don´t live in Europe so I´ve taken out a private insurance policy. I´m using Nomads from the Lonely Planet site. I think their rates are pretty reasonable, but I´ve never had to make a claim from them so can´t comment on that part of it.
Sandra

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi all,
Well it is too late to reply. But want to give one suggestion that while choosing travel insurance, try to make sure about your type of travel.

As I am getting ready for my September departure, I wanted to recommend the website for U.S. pilgrims: http://www.insuremytrip.com that offers a comparison of various policies. So far Allianz Global and Travel Guard seem to be very reasonable. :wink:

Check the small print.

With a series of medical problems I have expensive but essential travel insurance. My last Camino in March it was between a third and half my total costs.

However, if I intend to walk more than 300km I have to pay extra. That's not a problem but it is in the fine print and I only spotted it because I checked it before flying out.

To undertake the Camino without travel insurance is, frankly, stupid.

Pilgrims have been called Holy Fools. That's OK. Being Holy Stupid isn't.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So far Allianz Global and Travel Guard seem to be very reasonable.
Most airlines now offer travel insurance when you purchase your ticket. The terms seem to be competitive, and the rates usually lower than stand-along insurance. Check the airline's fine print, and add that policy to your comparison.

As it is gettin nearer to my start date , The next item on my list is Travel Insurance. Do I require ordinary travel cover or will I need special cover? Any help will be truly appreciated.
Hi I have found a fab sports insurance site that are very reasonable for all sports and any pre-existing medical conditions it is JP Hayman based at Rowans Castle - travel adventures - hope this helps its in the S. England and can all be done online

It depends on what you want to insure - the trip or yourself for medical coverage. If it is for the trip, then consider the cost of the insurance versus the possible costs for covered expenses if you have to change your plans - in the case of the Camino, the only thing that would really be covered is your airline ticket. If you want to insure yourself for medical coverage and you primary insurance doesn't cover you in Spain, you can get a travel medical policy pretty cheaply - I always use insuremytrip.com to shop for policies.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Read the policy. Think about what would happen if you were injured like ChilledKat - sufficiently badly that you could not continue to walk as planned, but not sufficiently badly to be repatriated home. You can no longer walk or stay in albergues. Will your insurance cover the extra cost of hotels and transport until you go home?
This is a common occurrence on Camino and not many insurers understand.

Most airlines now offer travel insurance when you purchase your ticket. The terms seem to be competitive, and the rates usually lower than stand-along insurance. Check the airline's fine print, and add that policy to your comparison.

I wouldn't recommend purchasing insurance through an airline. Buy it directly from an insurance company. As an insurance agent, it is easier to file a claim and receive customer service when you purchase it directly from the carrier.

Sprinter-
In USA you can get travel insurance which covers medical from AAA. I paid about $100.- for full coverage of any medical emergency, and they give you a nice certificate from Allianz (the carrier).
I hope this helps.
Buen Camino-
Mike

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm an American and not covered under EU insurance. That said, I did visit a doctor on my Camino and never got billed for it. But you can't count on that. This year, for the first time, I got an annual insurance plan with Allianz. It's not much more than 1-off coverage for a single trip and it covers major medical, travel cancellation and equipment.

Allianz Travel Insurance: http://bit.ly/2rirx1f

I'm an American and not covered under EU insurance. That said, I did visit a doctor on my Camino and never got billed for it. But you can't count on that. This year, for the first time, I got an annual insurance plan with Allianz. It's not much more than 1-off coverage for a single trip and it covers major medical, travel cancellation and equipment.

Allianz Travel Insurance: http://bit.ly/2rirx1f
Yep. Exactly what I did (through AAA membership).

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.