• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel insurance?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Given the fairly low cost of the insurance for a trip which may be costing you thousands, it is worth it. It offers you protection and travel home if you get an injury along the way and have to bail out. It definitely does not cover every little expense. I had to use it before I started my Camino in 2016. I got my airfare back but some of the deposits I made for pre and post Camino lodgings weren't covered, a rental car I had prepaid from the airport in Miami back to Naples was declined as well. So if you are worried about a tight budget my suggestions would be don't make too many reservation in advance that are non refundable.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most travel policies cover medical expenses but it is wise to read the fine print

I don't leave home without it. It's small price to pay for what it covers.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I got mine through AAA and the insurance policy was with Alliance. The key is the medical ins not for the travel really. I think it cost me @ $40.00 very inexpensive. You never know what could happen when over there. I did not have to use mine but it would be irresponsible not to have it. Best of luck to you.

In a couple of words - YES. Shop around for a policy that gives you a level of cover equal to what you have at home (inc if necessary repatriation home by air). Spain is a real first world country with real first class medical facilities. But as a non-European you will be charged if you are hospitalised.
Our govt here in Oz now operates on the following phylosophy : if you cannot afford the travel insurance then you cannot afford to travel. Best of luck.

yes, no one should ever travel overseas without travel health insurance.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You did not say how old you are. Remember that Medicare does not provide coverage outside the US.

Care is available along the Way. We had occasion to use it and it was great. It is the getting home part that is problematic if required. The cost of travel insurance is cheap on this sort of trip as the price of insurance is based on the cost of the trip. For most of us that is airfare only.

Buy it. If you are eligible check out USAA Insurance

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Go ahead and get travel and medical insurance. You'll surely be covered for changes in travel plans that result from medical issues, and many of the medical expenses that might not be covered by your travel/medical insurance may be reimbursable by your main medical insurance at home. Needless to say, keep copies of all receipts and medical reports for treatment during your travels, and make sure your credit card balance will cover reasonable medical expenses that you may be required to pay on the spot.

I just assisted an 83 year old friend traveling with me to Spain in September. She has Medicare Supplement F so there is foreign medical coverage after a deductible, $50,000 lifetime limit. She has no desire for extra medical coverage.

However, she was concerned about medical emergency evacuation and repatriation. I used SquareMouth to compare and price policies. Found one for her that adequately covers her needs. It was $52.00 for the two week trip.

She has no other pre-paid travel expenses (like air fare, hotels, car rental) so the cost to cover the trip is quite cheap. Emergency medical coverage of $15,000 only.

I’m in my 40s and have never purchased travel or trip insurance. But, each person is different. I know many people who have fallen and broken bones while in Europe.

Keep in mind many US credit cards also provide some sort of trip/medical insurance if your trip has been book/paid for using that card.

I just assisted an 83 year old friend traveling with me to Spain in September. She has Medicare Supplement F so there is foreign medical coverage after a deductible, $50,000 lifetime limit. She has no desire for extra medical coverage.

However, she was concerned about medical emergency evacuation and repatriation. I used SquareMouth to compare and price policies. Found one for her that adequately covers her needs. It was $52.00 for the two week trip.

She has no other pre-paid travel expenses (like air fare, hotels, car rental) so the cost to cover the trip is quite cheap. Emergency medical coverage of $15,000 only.

I’m in my 40s and have never purchased travel or trip insurance. But, each person is different. I know many people who have fallen and broken bones while in Europe.

Keep in mind many US credit cards also provide some sort of trip/medical insurance if your trip has been book/paid for using that card.

And of course what I didn’t mention was $150,000 emergency medical evacuationand $100,000 non-emergency evacuation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.