• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel logistics after camino

Salpal

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to walk Coastal Camino in May 2020
Hello all,

Wondering what everyone's thoughts and experiences have been with travelling back home after the camino.

Do you book your return trip and walk accordingly to ensure you're in Santiago for your return trip or just a one way trip and take it day by day?

I live in London and couldn't find any direct flights to London from Santiago - only via stop off in Madrid - are there easier ways?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My return is fixed when I leave, so I adjust my walk to the departure date. Most flights in Spain go to Madrid or Barcelona, so direct flights out of the country are hard to find.

Flew to Gatwick from SdC last year - direct. Only operate on certain days though

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I get to and from Spain from the UK via the ferry to Santander. I book only singles as I never know when I am returning. It is a nicer way to travel and less hassle in my opinion. Cheap too.

Santander is easy to get to by bus, and the buses in Spain are cheap and very comfy.

Davey

I prefer one way tickets as it leaves open other possibilities. One time, after arriving in SDC, I booked Veuling to Gatwick.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Booked one way trip out Stansted to Biarritz, took it as it came, and booked one way direct flight from Santiago to Stanstead to return. Can't remember whether it was Ryanair or Sleazyjet.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are flying out of O Coruna to Heathrow at the end of September, pretty cheap booked well in advance. 👍

I am looking for flights 5-8 days before I need it.
I check both Santiago and Porto, as Porto is a nice 3 hours bus trip away from Santiago.
Depending on the results, I will stay 1-2 days more in Santiago...
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back