• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel - Madrid Airport to the train station

BallVice

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked the Camino June 2012. Going to walk it again June 2014 with my daughter.
Hola,

I am super excited - GF just called and said - "I don't want to walk the Camino without you..."

How could I say no? Airline ticket is purchased and I am trying to figure out how to get to her...

Am thinking that I will catch her on day 24 in Rabanal Del Camino. Here is what I have mapped out..

I land at 8:45am (hopefully early). - NOT checking a bag - will carry my pack on-board

1 - Train from Madrid to Leon by train - (2:45min IF I can catch the 11am train) -- IS THIS FEASIBLE? (first question)---

2 - How do I get to the train station? (fastest method - Coming in on Delta - terminal (???) - should I just get in a taxi and go?

3 - Leon - Astorga - Bus - seems easy (I think the bus station is at the train station - 1 hour trip).

4 - Astorga to Rabanal Del Camino - I am thinking get off the bus and find a tax? it is roughly 20km.

For those with experience - have I planned appropriately? the biggest question is the 1st one - will I make it to the train - and do I have to - should I pre-purchase a ticket - or just buy a ticket at the train station?

Thank you so much - and words cannot express how incredibly excited I am :) :D :D :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You should have plenty of time to get from Barajas airport to Chamartin rail station for the Leon train at 1100. Say 30mins from landing to the airport metro station, another 20 mins to Nuevos Ministeros station, change to line 10 and 4 stops north to Chamartin, find the Leon train, get your ticket - I'd say you should do it comfortably without rushing. I did the same trip last September, on my way to start the camino Madrid - didn't time the journey but it wasn't that long - it is quite a hike across the airport to the metro, though....
EDIT: on second thoughts, you'd do a lot better taking the suburban rail (Cercanias) direct from the airport to Chamartin - I'm sure someone on here will have some info about it, though easy enough to suss once you've arrived.
Later: more info. The Cercanias railway - trains run every 30mins from Barajas T4 to Chamartin, line C1, journey time less than 15mins.

Thank you - That is GREAT information!

Should I pre-purchase the train ticket (buy it in advance) or should I just wait to purchase it at the Chamartin train station?

If I miss the 11:00 train there is another one at 14:00. If I purchase the ticket for the 11:00 and miss it, will they just let me get on the 14:00. Sorry for the questions - but there aren't any good FAQ's on the Renfe rail site.

Best regards! and Buen Camino!!!

:lol:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sojourner47 said:
You should have plenty of time to get from Barajas airport to Chamartin rail station for the Leon train at 1100. Say 30mins from landing to the airport metro station, another 20 mins to Nuevos Ministeros station, change to line 10 and 4 stops north to Chamartin, find the Leon train, get your ticket - I'd say you should do it comfortably without rushing. I did the same trip last September, on my way to start the camino Madrid - didn't time the journey but it wasn't that long - it is quite a hike across the airport to the metro, though....
EDIT: on second thoughts, you'd do a lot better taking the suburban rail (Cercanias) direct from the airport to Chamartin - I'm sure someone on here will have some info about it, though easy enough to suss once you've arrived.
Later: more info. The Cercanias railway - trains run every 30mins from Barajas T4 to Chamartin, line C1, journey time less than 15mins.

Would it be easier - faster - to arrange a Taxi from the international terminal and take it directly to the train station in Chamartin?

I ask this because of the times --
I land (scheduled landing) 8:45am
I have to clear customs (no idea how long) - say 20 minutes
then get to T-4 -- Say 20 minutes
then maybe 30 minutes for the next train
and then 15 minute ride---
---
Still potentially cutting it close - but I guess the time in clearing customs should really be the trigger for me to run to T-4 or just take a city taxi..

Am I thinking about this correctly?

Yes, of course it's always easier, and probably faster to get a taxi - if you're OK with the extra cost then go for it.

I plan to catch the train to Jaca from Madrid airport. Can anyone tell me if it leaves from the airport or do I have to go somewhere else to catch it.?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think you have to take the train to Zaragoza, then on to Jaca. Check the Renfe site to make your own connection, or wait until Madrid, where they will do it for you. There are lots of trains daily to Zaragoza; just three a day on to Jaca!

Train / Route Departure Arrival Duration
15655 REGIONAL 09.53 13.22 3 h. 29 min.
15659 T.R.D. 16.00 19.20 3 h. 20 min.
15653 REGIONAL 18.23 21.44

jeff001 said:
The bus station in Astorga is in the town center near the cathedral, not at the train station.

Everyone reading this - I have to say I actually am fighting back a tear as I think about the fact that I am back in the states after my wonderful trip on the Camino has come to an end. All I can say was it was INCREDIBLE --- SO INCREDIBLE -- So much to share --- I am taking 6 weeks off of work next year and doing the entire walk - and I can't wait.

1st off --- THANK YOU for your assistance... My trip was made 100% better by this thread --- you all helped and made connecting with my girlfriend so easy - it is ridiculous...

My flight - I landed at terminal 4 and I didn't check any bags - so straight to customs - and was through the line in less that 5 minutes - Buen Camino!!!

I hit a cash machine with my BofA Visa/check card and got 500 Euro's - MARKET RATE (bbva (US - Compass Bank)) no stupid exchange fees...

Travel to Terminal 4 - I walked outside and stepped on a bus that went directly to terminal 4 --was there is minutes --- don't walk - fret or take a taxi --- just walk outside the terminal and get on the bus --- it is that simple!!!

The train -- FOLLOW THE RENFE signs --- you will go down - down down - in the terminal - just follow the signs---- when you get to the bottom level - ignore the metro signs - go straight back (metro on the right) and in the far left corner is the Renfe train office - walk in and tell them your plan - they are MORE THAN HELPFUL --- so pleasant!!! --
--- I bought my train tickets from Charmatin to Leon - and Leon to Astorga right there AND my metro ticket to Charmatin (second stop) -- the nice lady told me EVERYTHING I needed to know.

Leon - I had to change stations- no big deal - just showed some nice person my ticket and they pointed where to go - I bought bus class and was able to hang out in the Bus Class lounge - the lady there was super helpful as well - this process was easy - easy - easy!!!

I took a cab from Astorga to El Ganso (she texted me and said they were there-- so I opted to get out there knowing their group would move on to Rabanal del Camino)... I was fresh - 1st day of walking and make the trek in no time at all - walking past the Cowboy bar and having no idea the significance ---

When I walked into the pretty city of Rabanal Del Camino - I had the hottest woman in the world meet me on the street with a giant hug and a kiss that melted my soul....

My first night we spent out in the elements at Cruz De Ferro - 6 of us - they are still talking about it on the camino - we are a bit infamous - and the trip only got better and better with every step.

We walked 97.37 (almost 100) KM the last two days--- 57.37 of it on the last day (Melide to Santiago) probably a flat 60 if you count us looking for and finding a good hotel to stay in.

My god I want to go back - so bad - I miss the people - the walk - and the beautiful hand of my girlfriend that I held for almost the entire journey.

THANK YOU for helping me - my first day was magical - and the people above that posted to help me made it that much better!

Buen Camino --- for life!

Frank

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Frank - how good to hear it all went OK for you, and that the forum input helped you on your way.
That is, after all, what this forum is about.
I hope you can return as planned, and of course don't hesitate to post any more questions on this board.
Buen Camino!!! :D
PS. I'm glad the airport/cercanias/RENFE bit worked out.....

Worked like a charm!!!

Your guidance was wonderful!!!

I can't wait until next year --- Like LITERALLY can't wait!!!

We just spent 10 days in Chicago and there wasn't a day that went by that we didn't talk about the Camino---

I actually posed the question - "Why do we find a long weekend - extend it a day or two and just book flights and go over and walk a section?" ---

It is a vocation - not just an addiction :)

Buen Camino!!!

Frank

dear all,
i will be arriving in madrid t4 airport at 1330hrs. i aim to hit the 1440hrs train to leon. is it feasible? other timings will set my trip back by a lot given i will arrive at 2040hrs in leon. im just afraid of the connecting 1hr10mins not sufficient to get from barajas to charmatin..

help pls!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Joshualok and welcome to the forum.

You are lucky that you arrive in T4 and that your train to Leon leaves from Chamartin station. The Cercanias trains will get you to Chamartin in 12 minutes, but they only run twice an hour -- at 28 minutes after the hour and 58 minutes after the hour. If you can get the 13:58 train, I would say you would make it fine, but that will require a very short line in customs, a very quick walking pace, luck with the timing of the shuttle train to get you from arrival gate to main terminal, and no checked bags. It can be done, though, because I have made it in under 1/2 hour from arrival in far away international gate to Cercanias.

If you miss that train and have to take a cab, I would say the odds decrease dramatically that you will make it, because the cab is likely to take longer than the train. Good luck! Laurie

dear all,
i will be arriving in madrid t4 airport at 1330hrs. i aim to hit the 1440hrs train to leon. is it feasible? other timings will set my trip back by a lot given i will arrive at 2040hrs in leon. im just afraid of the connecting 1hr10mins not sufficient to get from barajas to charmatin..

help pls!

Joshualok:

As Laurie mentioned, you are fortunate to be arriving at T4. Everything depends on timing. It seems unlikely that you can make the 13:58 Cercanias train unless your plane arrives early. Considering you have to disembark, Customs and gather your luggage it does not seem likely. That said, you could take a cab. The ride is about 15 minutes ans the price will vary depending on the driver and route they take (20 - 40 Euro's). Then you need to buy a ticket. It most likely will be close.

On the other hand, your plane could arrive early and all will go well :).

Ultreya,
Joe

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back