• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Madrid to Somport

Karl G

Time of past OR future Camino
August and September 2019 - Arles
I have found several sites with options for going from Madrid to Somport. However when I enter a September 2, 2019 start date all of them respond that there are no connections available for that date.

Are train and bus schedules not released in advance? Or am I doing something wrong that is preventing me from obtaining reliable travel information to plan an itinerary?

Thank you very much for any insight or help!

Karl

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Buses and trains can be booked 2-3 months ahead.
For the train it's fine to book much in advance since good fares can be found on the internet.
The bus fare can be reduced as well, but the fare at the counter 10min to leave is still not very high.
Fully booked trains had been more common than full buses in my experience. Usually I could buy one for the next day, but not always for the bus leaving during the next hour.

Bus travel:
From Madrid Airport check if you can have a direct bus leaving from the airport. If not take bus 200 to Av. America. Check in to Zaragoza (ca. 4h), change for Huesca (+1h)/Jaca (+2h) and finally take the local bus to Somport / Canfranc.

Train: From the airport T4 take the cercanias train to your railway station. I guess it is Atocha. It's faster and less expensive than the metro. If you have a continiuing ticket the local fare is often included. There are many fast trains to Zaragoza (1:30h) and few to Huesca. Only two times a day a little train winds up to Estación Canfranc (a huge train station in a small village). The train is starting in Zaragoza, but the nice mountainous landscape doesn't start before Huesca. So it's also a good combination with a bus ride from Madrid.
You have combined bus and train stations in Zaragoza and Huesca.

Huesca is on another Santiago route and has an albergue. In 3 walking days you can make it to San Juan de la Pena where you get to the Aragonés way. September should be very summerlike, with dry heat.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back