• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel/medical insurance for Canadians

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfox

Time of past OR future Camino
I am a Canadian and shopping for travel/medical insurance for my Camino France journey starting on April 18 for 38 days all inclusive.

Since I have some pre-conditions, Manulife asks for C$470. I checked the "Insure and Go" with the same conditions, it would cost me 60 Euro. I am wondering if some insurance companies offer better price. Any input will be appreciated.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am a Canadian and shopping for travel/medical insurance for my Camino France journey starting on April 18 for 38 days all inclusive.

Since I have some pre-conditions, Manulife asks for C$470. I checked the "Insure and Go" with the same conditions, it would cost me 60 Euro. I am wondering if some insurance companies offer better price. Any input will be appreciated.
I also am from Canada and I just purchased Insurance through Alliance. It cost me $135.00 for 33 days. Medical Insurance portion was $70.00 roughly and I added extra insurance to cover accident/dismemberment and flight. This second added is around $55.00 and it's $100,000 payout for accident/dismemberment and $200,000.00 for flight accident. The only question they asked me is if I have been treated for cancer in the past three months or if I currently have cancer.
Hope this helps some. Good luck and Buen Camino!

Hi there I am also a Canadian, and usually it costs a bit over 160.oo for 45 days. Who is this Insure and Go.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I also am from Canada and I just purchased Insurance through Alliance. It cost me $135.00 for 33 days. Medical Insurance portion was $70.00 roughly and I added extra insurance to cover accident/dismemberment and flight. This second added is around $55.00 and it's $100,000 payout for accident/dismemberment and $200,000.00 for flight accident. The only question they asked me is if I have been treated for cancer in the past three months or if I currently have cancer.
I just did a check list with TD or Insure and go am healthy and on no meds. but because of my age they quoted me 248.00 ridiculously over priced.

Paid 90$ yesterday to extend the insurance that comes with my credit card (TD aeroplan infinite) from 3 to 6 weeks. You have to have been "stable" fo 90 days to be able to get their basic rate, by stable they mean ok with your meds, not just out of hospital, etc.

While still living in Canada, I had used this company when travelling to Europe: https://www.21stcenturytips.com. They provided full coverage for travel medical insurance at reasonable rates.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would not reccomend I & G. It took me over a year to get a perfectly acceptable claim to be settled - I took them through the UK small claims court in the end. Check on trust pilot for them and other travel insurance before purchasing.

also one thing that must be addressed is that they look at the age of an individual, no matter how health they may be .

I, too am searching around for travel insurance. I don't know whether you have notice this, but I have found that getting travel insurance for a whole year is less expensive then just for the number of days that I will be travelling. Have you checked that out?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Last edited:

I am also Canadian and I guess due to my excellent immune system do not have any health problems. I will be doing my 11 th. Camino this summer and I always get health ins. and never have used it but still, it's important to have. I go with RBC medical insurance and the usual cost is half of what you quoted. age also has a factor.

Age is also a factor....even at 83, I have had the best rate with Tugo, in BC as recent as last month....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
wow that is inexpensive. I paid 278. with RBC due to my age being 73, I have no medical issues also I was in Spain for six plus wks. I will look into Alliance

Hi, I'm also Canadian and have been doing a little shopping around for travel insurance policies... IF you are going on multiple trips in a year for either 30 or 60 days max, it might be worth it to look at an annual plan... I know TD Travel uses Allianz and they offer $460 if you're under 65 for multiple 60 days trips in a year. I also checked with Manulife, but they only offer annual plans with 31 days for each trip. IF you compare the duration of your trip over 60 days and the # of times you think you might be going away within a year, it might be worth looking at the annual plan and top up the extra days over the maximum.

After 3 trips in a year, you'll save some $... but you have to take the time to shop around and compare policies. I tend to be more adventurous when I travel and like to do some "extreme" sports like skydiving or death road mountain biking so it's important to know IF your insurance policy includes that or not. Some others also swear by World Nomads if they don't have Travel Card Insurance.. I love the fact I can top up the free medical coverage if I'm only doing one trip a year with my travel card. Hope this helps.

You may want to try a quote from CAA/BCAA if you're a member, unsure if they provide for non-members, though.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I, too am searching around for travel insurance. I don't know whether you have notice this, but I have found that getting travel insurance for a whole year is less expensive then just for the number of days that I will be travelling. Have you checked that out?
However, they do often limit the length of each trip. Sometimes to 30 days only. Small print is so important

CAUTION: The posts prior to this post are from 2019 and earlier. Take care to check all information as the earlier posts may no longer be valid.

Last edited by a moderator:
And that's with NO conditions. You lucky youngens
Many policies wave preexisting conditions if you purchase the policy within 7to 21 days of puchasing the trip costs. And, yes prices go up as one gets older, so comparing prices on this thread is difficult without knowing, your trip cost, age, and length of stay! The longer you stay, the older you are, and the more expensive your trip - all of these will increase your cost, so best to compare plans on line.
IMO, having a comprehensive medical plan is important in 2021! Respectfully, this coming year is not a good time to skimp and/ot travel overseas without a good policy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I am starting the Route Frances on May 20 and looking at weather to pick my clothes but also figured I should factor the bug situation into the equation since I don't want to weigh down my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.