• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel mug. Yes or no?

hunsta

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015 Portuguese 2023 Ingles 2023
OK. Hey all.
Now this may sound like a very frivolous topic question to ask. But its kinda important to me. In a medical sense.
Now I've done the Camino Frances back in 2015. All the way. And I struck this problem with this topic. When asking it way back in 2014. When researching my up coming Camino.
I'm preparing to go back in 2023, and I`d like to ask if cafes and bars would allow the use of travel mugs for when one orders their morning cafe con leche?
Now please don't go off on a rant about being the wrong kind of pilgrim who needs his "Joe-on-the-go". And if I'm not prepared to do things their way. I shouldn't be there. I copped quite a bit of abuse back then. When I asked this question back in 2014.
See I have a condition called Essential Tremors. And I have it in my hands. So if I have coffee at a cafe. I always get it in a mug to go. As it has a lid. And I don't wear most of it. Instead of drinking it.
I was lucky to meet a great bunch of people in 2015. That helped me get my coffee`s from counter to table. But there was a couple of times that that didn't happen. With messy results.
Now from memory last time there in 2015. I don't think I saw a "To go" cup anywhere. And to be honest. The litter I saw on some parts of the trail. I'm glad they were not part of it.
So to the heart of the question. Would a travel mug be acceptable to present in a bar or cafe when ordering a coffee? It can be an embarrassing and debilitating disability at times. But little things like lids on a coffee cup make a hell of a difference.
Thanks for your understanding.
Cheers
Craig

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Craig. Don’t know if you speak Spanish. But, if not, perhaps prepare a sentence or two to say when you are presenting your travel mug. Even if it’s not their usual practice, I’m sure if the cafe owner understands they will be happy to use your travel mug.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Craig. Don’t know if you speak Spanish. But, if not, perhaps prepare a sentence or two to say when you are presenting your travel mug. Even if it’s not their usual practice, I’m sure if the cafe owner understands they will be happy to use your travel mug.
I do speak a little Spanish. I learned before going last time. Helped greatly. And I know the Spanish appreciate the effort. I have contemplated a "spiel" for when ordering. Couldn't hurt to have one on hand. And hello fellow aussie.

I will add in that if they aren't keen to use your lidded travel cup, is to be able to ask them to carry the coffee cup to were you are sitting (I am pretty sure many bars are used to doing that for some of their regulars who might struggle)

I also have benign essential tremor (dominant hand). Unfortunately I was unable to travel this year due to an unexpected heart problem. I probably have the same cup as yours which includes a sippy cup lid. The location of the handle is different and that adds balance. I didn’t realize that for awhile so it is a helpful thing to have. I’ve found that I can drink well enough from a standard cup if I use both hands. My planned alternative was to pour the contents of the cafe’s cup into mine (if the tremor isn’t really bad) or translate the situation, print it out, show it to wait staff. Or show your cup, sit it on the table, show the tremor, and hand your cup to the person serving coffee. Buen Camino!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It can be an embarrassing and debilitating disability at times.
I have Parkinson's, so my tremor is at rest, not during activity. If I let my hand rest touching something though, or hold something for too long without moving, my tremor starts up. I have spilled a lot of coffee by touching a regular cup while talking, or thinking about something else. I carried a travel mug. No questions were asked. Most of the time they would make the coffee in their cups and pour it into mine.

OK. Hey all.
Now this may sound like a very frivolous topic question to ask. But its kinda important to me. In a medical sense.
Now I've done the Camino Frances back in 2015. All the way. And I struck this problem with this topic. When asking it way back in 2014. When researching my up coming Camino.
I'm preparing to go back in 2023, and I`d like to ask if cafes and bars would allow the use of travel mugs for when one orders their morning cafe con leche?
Now please don't go off on a rant about being the wrong kind of pilgrim who needs his "Joe-on-the-go". And if I'm not prepared to do things their way. I shouldn't be there. I copped quite a bit of abuse back then. When I asked this question back in 2014.
See I have a condition called Essential Tremors. And I have it in my hands. So if I have coffee at a cafe. I always get it in a mug to go. As it has a lid. And I don't wear most of it. Instead of drinking it.
I was lucky to meet a great bunch of people in 2015. That helped me get my coffee`s from counter to table. But there was a couple of times that that didn't happen. With messy results.
Now from memory last time there in 2015. I don't think I saw a "To go" cup anywhere. And to be honest. The litter I saw on some parts of the trail. I'm glad they were not part of it.
So to the heart of the question. Would a travel mug be acceptable to present in a bar or cafe when ordering a coffee? It can be an embarrassing and debilitating disability at times. But little things like lids on a coffee cup make a hell of a difference.
Cheers
Craig
I hope you get all the help needed to enjoy your Camino. My first one will happen this summer, so I do not have any experience how this might work on the way, but wanted to share my support and blessing to you! I know about the condition you told about and find it important that you could ask for such service in any cafe on the way! Could you just show them your hands and give your mug to go with a friendly "Muchos gracias!" ?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My partner likes big coffees but not overly strong I am bringing a collapsing travel mug to assist in buying her coffee

OK. Hey all.
Cheers
Craig
I don’t think it will be a problem. You may need to pour it in your own cup at some places.

OK. Hey all.
Cheers
Craig
Your Camino your Way! No wrong way to do it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
OK. Hey all.
Cheers
Craig
I would say no issue but make sure you either know the words in Spanish or have them written down with the reasoning. I say this as I have never seen travel mugs used in my travels in Europe so to them it may be a foreign concept. Also due to previous COVID issues a lot of places in Canada did not permit non company cups being used, I don’t know about the Camino though

I'm preparing to go back in 2023, and I`d like to ask if cafes and bars would allow the use of travel mugs for when one orders their morning cafe con leche? …
As several have said, the answer is Yes.
But I would add that on the chance the barista is grumpy, being able to tell the reason for your request when you ask it might avoid an angry response.

Most cafés in Spain make the espresso right in the serving cup and then add the steamed milk from a latte pitcher. However, they can also make the espresso in an espresso pitcher and pour its contents into your mug and then add the steamed milk. You could say, "¿Me puede hacer un café con leche en mi taza?" (Could you make me a café con leche in my own mug?") as you show them or point to your travel mug (I would probably also make the gesture of pouring both the coffee and milk from their pitchers into the travel mug to make sure they understand you don't want to try to pour a cup of coffee into your mug). You are the one to decide whether to show a trembling hand or to make the gesture of trying to drink a cup of coffee with a trembling hand. I would be astounded if anyone complained or refused to serve you coffee in your mug.

By the way, coffee to go is not uncommon. If you see styrofoam cups, ask for "un café (con leche) para llevar, por favor". If you don't see cups, ask "¿Hay café para llevar?" If so, "Un café (con leche), por favor."

In case you don't know Spanish, you should be able to type those Spanish phrases into an online program that can read them aloud so you can hear the pronunciation and learn them if you want to learn them.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I don’t think it will be a problem. You may need to pour it in your own cup at some places.
Thats a great thought. But I dont think you realise what Essential Tremors are. If only I could pour things.

Most cafés in Spain make the espresso right in the serving cup and then add the steamed milk from a latte pitcher. However, they can also make the espresso in an espresso pitcher and pour its contents into your mug and then add the steamed milk. You could say, "¿Me puede hacer un café con leche en mi taza?" (Could you make me a café con leche in my own mug?") as you show them or point to your travel mug (I would probably also make the gesture of pouring both the coffee and milk from their pitchers into the travel mug to make sure they understand you don't want to try to pour a cup of coffee into your mug). You are the one to decide whether to show a trembling hand or to make the gesture of trying to drink a cup of coffee with a trembling hand. I would be astounded if anyone complained or refused to serve you coffee in your mug.

By the way, coffee to go is not uncommon. If you see styrofoam cups, ask for "un café (con leche) para llevar, por favor". If you don't see cups, ask "¿Hay café para llevar?" If so, "Un café (con leche), por favor."

In case you don't know Spanish, you should be able to type those Spanish phrases into an online program that can read them aloud so you can hear the pronunciation and learn them if you want to learn them.
Thanks so much for your reply. Yes I do speak a little Spanish. And will definitely have my request ready at hand. The real problem with Essential Tremor is the anxiety that goes with the tremor. Its a vicious circle.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back