• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel/Packing recommendations for July

hokiebobwise

July '23 (CF/Astorga)
Time of past OR future Camino
CF/Astorga July 2023
My son (19 yo) and I will be leaving the states on July 2nd and are planning to walk from Astorga to Santiago, prior to heading home on the 18th. All of my travel has been booked, including a July 17 train from Santiago back to Madrid -> available trains popped up on Renfe about 3 days ago.

A questions for the group
1. I reached out to the Madrid Airport as I have a 6am flight on the 18th and I'm attempting to determine what time I should get to the airport, any suggestions? I'm flying Air France, through Paris before leaving their and heading to the states.

1b. Do you have a favorite hotel near the airport? As I mentioned we are taking the train on the 17th, first train out of Santiago and we plan to just roam around the city, no real plans. However, I do wish to book a hotel prior to departing the states to ensure we are covered. Based on your thoughts on timing of the airport, any recommendations for places you've stayed? I did ask the airport about the rooms they have in T4; which would be ideal for some extra shuteye before having to check-in.

2. on the airport site it led me to believe that i won't be able to carry-on my 36L pack, as it is larger than the specs they provided. Since I'm flying Air France/Delta, i'm pretty sure the planes won't have a problem with the bag size, but I wasn't sure on how stringent their security would be in enforcing bag size. If I have to check it, no biggie since I am allowed 1 free bag. And no, i don't plan on bringing poles home.

3. We are taking the train to Leon on the 3rd, and staying the night before catching the 5pm train to Astorga. So I plan to do some last minute shopping to pick up poles and other items that might cause me to have to check my bag. I see lots about Decathlon but is there a Pilgrim shop, as i've read about in other towns? I would rather give back to those that are helping pilgrims than a "big box" type of store.

4. we will be walking in July and I know it's going to be hot; just like it will be hot back here in Virginia (odd to say, but I do love me some mid-90's weather). What I'm attempting to determine is whether or not I should go with the poncho, should I go with a light rain jacket or nothing? Afterall, it is summer and my pack will have a rain cover, so once the rain stops I should dry off in a few hours, right? Everything I have should be able to handle the rain and I plan on keeping items, in the pack, within dry sacks for when the water does seep into my pack (Osprey Stratos 36L). I love the heat, but I'm also not attempting to make myself any hotter than I'll already be.

Buen Camino
Bob Wise
CF / Astorga to Santiago July 2023

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My son (19 yo) and I will be leaving the states on July 2nd and are planning to walk from Astorga to Santiago, prior to heading home on the 18th. All of my travel has been booked, including a July 17 train from Santiago back to Madrid -> available trains popped up on Renfe about 3 days ago.

1. I reached out to the Madrid Airport as I have a 6am flight on the 18th and I'm attempting to determine what time I should get to the airport, any suggestions? I'm flying Air France, through Paris before leaving their and heading to the states.

1b. Do you have a favorite hotel near the airport? As I mentioned we are taking the train on the 17th, first train out of Santiago and we plan to just roam around the city, no real plans. However, I do wish to book a hotel prior to departing the states to ensure we are covered. Based on your thoughts on timing of the airport, any recommendations for places you've stayed? I did ask the airport about the rooms they have in T4; which would be ideal for some extra shuteye before having to check-in.

2. on the airport site it led me to believe that i won't be able to carry-on my 36L pack, as it is larger than the specs they provided. Since I'm flying Air France/Delta, i'm pretty sure the planes won't have a problem with the bag size, but I wasn't sure on how stringent their security would be in enforcing bag size. If I have to check it, no biggie since I am allowed 1 free bag. And no, i don't plan on bringing poles home.

3. We are taking the train to Leon on the 3rd, and staying the night before catching the 5pm train to Astorga. So I plan to do some last minute shopping to pick up poles and other items that might cause me to have to check my bag. I see lots about Decathlon but is there a Pilgrim shop, as i've read about in other towns? I would rather give back to those that are helping pilgrims than a "big box" type of store.

4. we will be walking in July and I know it's going to be hot; just like it will be hot back here in Virginia (odd to say, but I do love me some mid-90's weather). What I'm attempting to determine is whether or not I should go with the poncho, should I go with a light rain jacket or nothing? Afterall, it is summer and my pack will have a rain cover, so once the rain stops I should dry off in a few hours, right? Everything I have should be able to handle the rain and I plan on keeping items, in the pack, within dry sacks for when the water does seep into my pack (Osprey Stratos 36L). I love the heat, but I'm also not attempting to make myself any hotter than I'll already be.

Buen Camino
Bob Wise
I stayed in an airbnb that was quite close to the Madrid airport and was able to catch the bus to the airport (I'm unsure if that is helpful)

I enjoyed the hike from Astorga to Foncebadon...it was actually my 2nd favorite day on the Camino. (I continued from Foncebadon to el Acebo that day making it a 37km day...which is a lot for one's first day) You'll have a great camino, I'm sure.

Buen Camino
Bob Wise
Hopefully I can help answer a few items- (I walked Frances last July). I’m from Nebraska with hot summers. I had 9 flights and a train and 4 busses to get there.
I never had an issue with my bag getting onto the flights overhead bin. It fit fine even on the smaller European flights. Once I had a later boarding and I thought they may check it but it got on. So I would not worry as they’ll complimentary check it for you in the even overhead space is taken
Note Madrid airport is a 30+ minute drive from the train. I stayed near the train but was doing the opposite of you. (Heading to the start) The airport didn’t seem overly large or complicated and I had no issue boarding flights in Europe after arriving. Very simple for Americans after you gained entry from US.
I did not use poles and did not regret.
As for stores- the smaller towns didn’t seem to have gear. Leon or Astorga would be your better bets. Note most stores are closed early in the morning and later afternoon for Siesta so timing shopping around walking I often missed open stores. The smaller towns have bars to eat but not gear. The only thing I bought gear-wise was new shoes in Sarria after wearing out another pair. I regret not packing more compeed bandaids as I bought those often at a higher price.
I had a very small poncho in the bottom of my bag. It only really downpoured once and sprinkled another time. I would take it again but not a rain jacket- too hot- too much unneeded weight. (I debated that one too and was very glad I took only small poncho that folded wayyy up)
I did have one lightweight long sleeve shirt. Which some mornings were cooler. I did not need pants for that stretch in July. I also did not need a sleeping bag-liner was all I needed in July for that section.
FYI Last summer masks were required on public transport and in pharmacies.

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i won't be able to carry-on my 36L pack, as it is larger than the specs they provided.
Are you relying on the measurements provided by the manufacturer? They measure the fully-packed backpack. Depending on the pack structure, you may find that if you keep the top pouch empty during transit, you can fit within the maximum specifications. Just rearrange your pack for travel, and measure it yourself. Wear an extra layer of clothes if necessary for check-in.

Do you have a favorite hotel near the airport?
I have stayed at Hostal Viky in Barajas. They have an airport shuttle. I can't be sure if they run it at all hours, but they are certainly accustomed to dealing with people checking flights at all times. You should check that first. For a 4 a.m. flight, I'd probably want to arrive 2 hours early, so I don't know how much sleep you would expect to get!

whether or not I should go with the poncho, should I go with a light rain jacket or nothing?
Everybody makes a different choice. I would probably go with an umbrella, both for rain and sun, AND I would take some sort of very light water resistant jacket. Evenings and early mornings can be cool. Maybe for your fairly short Camino, you could check the weather forecast the day before you leave, and make the decision accordingly. Or, decide in Leon when you are shopping.

I don't have the details, but Leon does have some gear shops in the city centre. Astorga had one too. But I'll let others provide information that has been confirmed more recently than my experience.

I walked the entire month of July. One or two days of very light rain that lasted only an hour or so. A good lightweight rain jacket will weigh about 10 oz which I also used on the one or two days it was kind of cold in the morning. By the way, I grew up in Virginia Beach. A 90 degree day on the Camino will be far more comfortable than a 90 degree day in Virginia. Since I'm here, I can't resist this omnibus comment: Contrary to conventional Forum wisdom, it ain't too hot or crowded to walk the Camino in July/August.

Last edited:
You should be able to carry your pack on the plane, I’ve carried my 38L twice no problem. Im staying at Hostal
Viky near Madrid airport in 3 days. They have a 24 hour shuttle.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the entire month of July. One or two days of very light rain that lasted only an hour or so. A good lightweight rain jacket will weigh about 10 oz which I also used on the one or two days it was kind of cold in the morning. By the way, I grew up in Virginia Beach. A 90 degree day on the Camino will be far more comfortable than a 90 degree day in Virginia. Since I'm here, I can't resist this omnibus comment: Contrary to conventional Forum wisdom, it ain't too hot or crowded to walk the Camino in July/August.
Small world, my middle name is Howard, from my mother's side :)
I had planned to bring one long sleeve shirt, just in case for chilly evenings. My trail paints have zip-off legs so I feel i picked the right thing; in case it is a little chilly in the AM.

Bob

I stayed in an airbnb that was quite close to the Madrid airport and was able to catch the bus to the airport (I'm unsure if that is helpful)

I enjoyed the hike from Astorga to Foncebadon...it was actually my 2nd favorite day on the Camino. (I continued from Foncebadon to el Acebo that day making it a 37km day...which is a lot for one's first day) You'll have a great camino, I'm sure.
I am a planner, and I'm hoping that the Camino will provide and allow me to shed this having to know every step I plan to take on the hike. I planned 20km on day 1 (stopping in Rabanal) and then day 2 stopping on Molineseca. However, after I leave Rabanal, my son and I have decided that we will let our bodies, and possible room availability, dictate the distance. So long as I'm in Santiago by the 16th we will be in good order. I set up our last day, the 15th, to be 10km into Santiago so that we can arrive early and then participate in the pilgrims mass.

bob

You should be able to carry your pack on the plane, I’ve carried my 38L twice no problem. Im staying at Hostal
Viky near Madrid airport in 3 days. They have a 24 hour shuttle.
I saw their information last night and something felt comfortable with them. Knowing about the shuttle I think you just helped me plan where to stay the night before I fly out.

bob

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Are you relying on the measurements provided by the manufacturer? They measure the fully-packed backpack. Depending on the pack structure, you may find that if you keep the top pouch empty during transit, you can fit within the maximum specifications. Just rearrange your pack for travel, and measure it yourself. Wear an extra layer of clothes if necessary for check-in.

I have stayed at Hostal Viky in Barajas. They have an airport shuttle. I can't be sure if they run it at all hours, but they are certainly accustomed to dealing with people checking flights at all times. You should check that first. For a 4 a.m. flight, I'd probably want to arrive 2 hours early, so I don't know how much sleep you would expect to get!

Everybody makes a different choice. I would probably go with an umbrella, both for rain and sun, AND I would take some sort of very light water resistant jacket. Evenings and early mornings can be cool. Maybe for your fairly short Camino, you could check the weather forecast the day before you leave, and make the decision accordingly. Or, decide in Leon when you are shopping.

I don't have the details, but Leon does have some gear shops in the city centre. Astorga had one too. But I'll let others provide information that has been confirmed more recently than my experience.
I hadn't considered the umbrella. I have a small collapsable one i could bring. I worry that a poncho may cause me to overhead due to the size.

I've walked the entire Frances twice during the month of July and both times experienced zero rain. My pack cover never once came out, neither did my lightweight poncho or the trash bin liner I had to be used as an internal dry bag in my pack (they work great for that). I wore shorts and t-shirts everyday. The first time I walked it in July it was so warm about two weeks into it I left my fleece pullover at an albergue on the donativo table. Never looked back. Didn't need it, but to whomever picked it up, "you're welcome". :D
So in my experience July on the Camino is warm (can be very warm) and dry and I recommend carrying as little as possible, drinking lot's of water and electrolytes and wearing a good sun hat, lightweight clothing and using sun screen.
As far as your backpack goes, it should be no problem as a carry-on. I have carried on 48L packs on planes. As long as it doesn't exceed the maximum dimensions the airlines post and they do have that frame thing you can test it in at the airport. If it's kinda of tight just pull in all the straps. Cinch it up real good.

I hadn't considered the umbrella. I have a small collapsable one i could bring.
I also use a small collapsible travel umbrella. (I bought a super-small one that weighs only 86 g, but find that it blows inside out in the slightest breeze, which becomes quite annoying.)

I normally use 2 walking poles, but am not dependent on them on even terrain. So, I stow one and walk happily along with one pole and the umbrella, switching hands frequently. It is very pleasant in a warm rain, as well as on a blistering hot day.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Buen Camino
Bob Wise
My son and I walked in July and August 2016. Myself, I went with the light rain jacket which, I'll admit was rarely used. There is really minimal rain on the Frances in the summer (although what there is, is to be found in Galicia, which you'll be walking through).

What we found was that, it being the height of summer, we tended to find ourselves leaving early in the morning to avoid as much as possible walking in the hottest part of the morning. While the days generally were quite hot, the early mornings were quite cool. While you might be able to get by without a light jacket, I'm thinking that if you leave somewhere like O Cebreiro in a cold rain, you might be happy for a jacket.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Hello, everyone I am doing the camino de france next spring on a bike. It looks really rocky going down hill from Burguete. Is there a safer rought not going down the rocky path? Should I stay on...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.