• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Plans: from Heathrow to Sanstead and beyond

Skshin

Hello everyone!

This topic has probably been discussed before, but this will be my first Camino (and I am a bit nervous) so I apologize for the redundancy.

I will be walking the Camino France in July and August of this year. I plan to start at SJPDP. I am currently trying to make travel arrangements, but I am not sure about the timing.

I am trying to book a flight into London Heathrow arriving at around 6:35am. I will also be checking a bag (I hope the hiking poles are worth it). I am planning to take the 12pm Ryan Air flight to Biarritz.

My question is: will I have enough time to make it to Stanstead airport from Heathrow on the same day or should I book a hotel for the night? If it is possible, how would I go about getting there?

I know there is a bus that goes there, but the website says I should give myself a good 5 hours (which I won't have) due to traffic and whatever else may happen. I think I also read on another post that I can take the subway/metro? somewhere and then switch over to a bus. Is getting around the subway/metro difficult?

Also, I would like to book my flight back to London from Santiago, but how far in advanced should I do this?

Thank you for reading my post and I appreciate any and all assistance!

Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi,

You can take the train & metro which is probably a bit quicker than the bus but time is tight, especially if your inbound is delayed.

Train : Heathrow - Paddington
Metro (Tube) : Paddington to Liverpool Street
Train : Liverpool Street to Stansted.

It will set you back the best part of £45 one way, on current quote (see below for train times and pricing). You can do your own search based on your exact date and times using the planner at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/ although dates are currently only available into June. If you pick a date in June that is the same day of the week as the day you are actually arriving, that should give you a good idea of the schedules.

The journey time is about 2.25 hours but may vary slightly depending on which LHR terminal you are arriving at.

Happy to help if you want a hand looking up the transfer, just drop me a PM with details.

Regards
Mig

Attachments

• LHR_To_STN.JPG
    LHR_To_STN.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 616
I just did a quick search using the National Express website, 10 July as a date (since I don't know), departure after 7:00.

I see there is an 8:15 bus leaving LHR and arriving at STN at 9:35.

The next bus departs 9:15 and arrives at 11:00.

Of course catching the first will be ideal.

I know the time of travel is MUCH greater if flying into Gatwick. From LHR the time should be less than 2 hours.

Here is the link I'm viewing:

http://coach.nationalexpress.com/times- ... n=(organic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=national%20express%20heathrow%20to%20stansted%20bus&__utmv=-&__utmk=198368943

Any help? Am I seeing this correctly?

Keep a smile,
Simeon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for offering this information. I am a first timer to Europe, to the el camino frances. I have been nervous too about where to catch what and to where. I am planning on taking the Chunnel. I would like to travel slower.
Also, I am needing information on where to stay around Heathrow. My plane comes in around 8:15.p.m.
Thanks for your help. Leslie

Thanks for your help! I will try and catch the bus to Stanstead, hopefully there will be no traffic!

Buen Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back