• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

European Peace Walk - Travel questions

Monique S.

Wandering .....
Time of past OR future Camino
European Peace Walk 2015
SJPP-SdC or Lisboa-SdC 2018
Looking for advice regarding train travel with OBB.

I'm arriving midday in Venice and need to get to Vienna by the following day. I'm considering spending the day in Venice and taking the (approx) 1.00 am overnighter but if I'm exhausted from my overnight flight from Canada, I may want to change my mind and just take the next available afternoon train.

My question is: do I need to book ahead or can I be relatively confident of getting a seat by purchasing a ticket on the day?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I fear that you posted on the wrong Forum :rolleyes:
For Venice-Vienna there is no need to book ahead, unless you happen to travel on a particular holiday. But even if you miss that train, enjoy another day in Venice: a day is too short to see and experience this exciting city.;)

I fear that you posted on the wrong Forum :rolleyes:

I posted this in the European Peace Walk forum since that's what I'm going to Vienna for. Where should my question have been posted?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hmmmm..... I'm not sure of the chance of getting last minute tickets but I bet they would be available. If it was me, I'd go straight from the Venice Airport to the train station and take the next available train. It's exhausting but once you get to Vienna, you will get the rest before walking (although I may do that another day earlier, but I understand that you don't have the time). It gives you the most flexibility if your flight is late in arriving or if some of the trains are full. In other words, don't book in advance. Visit Venice at the end of your trip, if possible. Buen Camino.

If it was me, I'd go straight from the Venice Airport to the train station and take the next available train. It's exhausting but once you get to Vienna, you will get the rest before walking

I've given myself 2 nights in Vienna before I start walking so hopefully that will be enough rest. o_O

Thanks for your thoughts on not booking in advance. Definitely feels more appropriate to me; allowing for leeway depending on flight, how I feel, etc.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
With me next year on the EPW perhaps @fraluchi ? I'd love that.
It might be interesting, though travel at that time of the year is expensive and....with masses of people on holiday.:eek: I'd rather like to complete the Via Francigena after the school holidays (I'm member of "Il Movimento Lento" cfr. www.viefrancigene.org) and would combine this to see my grandchildren in Italy :cool:
Now HERE we have a Forum which our dear friend Ivar maintains.:) La Via Francigena!;)

Looking for advice regarding train travel with OBB.

I'm arriving midday in Venice and need to get to Vienna by the following day. I'm considering spending the day in Venice and taking the (approx) 1.00 am overnighter but if I'm exhausted from my overnight flight from Canada, I may want to change my mind and just take the next available afternoon train.

My question is: do I need to book ahead or can I be relatively confident of getting a seat by purchasing a ticket on the day?

Hello Monique, You may have already made up your mind and booked your transport. You don't say when you are leaving. I too am walking the EPW this year commencing 18th August.
You may want to explore this site which compares Air travel, train and bus travel Venice to Vienna.
https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Venice/Vienna

Enjoy your walk on the Camino of peace. Perhaps we might see one another. All the best

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back