• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel suggestions to start of CF

SeattleWoman

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in June 2018
I plan to walk the CF starting in late May 2018. I’ll be flying from Seattle. Any advice on the best way to arrive at the starting point of the CF?
Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A lot of people travelling from the US and Canada seem to make their travel unnecessarily complicated by flying to Madrid and then travelling overland to St Jean Pied de Port - not the most straightforward of journeys. A practical alternative to consider might be to fly from the US to either London or Dublin, then a direct flight to Biarritz which is usually quite cheap and arrives only a short distance from SJPDP by bus and train. If you are sure of your travel dates it might make financial sense to book a return flight between the US and Dublin/London, a single flight to Biarritz, and a single flight from Santiago, A Coruna or Vigo to either Dublin/London to catch your flight home.

Thank you! I appreciate that! I’ll look into this and let you know if I have any questions...
I want SIMPLE!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I plan to walk the CF starting in late May 2018. I’ll be flying from Seattle. Any advice on the best way to arrive at the starting point of the CF?
Thanks!

Hello SeattleWoman,
There are probably a thousand and more answers to your question :rolleyes:.

Without sounding or being unhelpful, have you tried using the "search" box at the top left of the page. If you type in "travel" you should get taken to past posts about Camino Travel.

If you don't, there is a whole section dedicated to Camino Travel here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/traveling-to-from-the-camino.19/

Perhaps have a look there and if you can't find what your looking for. Come back and ask more specific questions.
Buen Camino

For SJPdP, take the train from Bayonne, or the bus from Pamplona. You can get to the Bayonne train station either by train from Paris, or bus from the Biarritz airport.

You can get to Pamplona by flying to Madrid, then taking a bus or train to Pamplona. The train is more comfortable, but some buses leave directly from the Barajas Airport in Madrid.

A lot of people travelling from the US and Canada seem to make their travel unnecessarily complicated by flying to Madrid and then travelling overland to St Jean Pied de Port - not the most straightforward of journeys. A practical alternative to consider might be to fly from the US to either London or Dublin, then a direct flight to Biarritz which is usually quite cheap and arrives only a short distance from SJPDP by bus and train. If you are sure of your travel dates it might make financial sense to book a return flight between the US and Dublin/London, a single flight to Biarritz, and a single flight from Santiago, A Coruna or Vigo to either Dublin/London to catch your flight home.

You are sooooooo right, depending upon where you live exactly. NA is a big place. I have the impression that there are lots of good cheap flights to Madrid from the eastern part. If you live there and can get a straight shot to Madrid, I would take on the more complex overland route from there. From the west coast, you are probably better off using London, or Dublin if available, and I would add Paris. Every native English speaker should visit London at least once in their life, it is the root of your culture. Everyone on earth should visit Paris at least once. Visiting Dublin is easier, just drop into your local Irish pub! ;) From any of these gateways, take a short flight to Biarrittz, or take the train from Paris, and then an easy local train or taxi service like Express Bourricot transit to SJPP from there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Fly to London, connect to Biarritz, bus to Bayonne, train/bus to SJPP.
Cheaper from Vancouver, BC (AirTransat) than from Seattle - wait -- Norwegian Air from SEA may have fixed that! :)
Have you been to Puget Sound Chapter of American Pilgrims on the Camino (pugetsound@americanpilgrims.org) group functions? LOTS of info from them!! There is also a FB page.
Buen Camino!

I have never done a Camino but i am considering it (CF April'18). I enjoy researching and planning something. What i have found out to-date regarding getting to St Jean from far away places like Seattle, Cape Town, etc.: 1st option is to fly the most direct route to Madrid, catch a connecting flight to BIQ, take a St Jean shuttle service from the airport to StJean. 2nd best option is to fly the same route via Paris or go from Paris by train, and 3rd best option is to go via London to BIQ.

NB: Please remember that i have not done this flight route before and am researching it myself.

3rd best option is to go via London to BIQ

Hi, that doesn’t work for most South Africans, as they have to get a visa for the UK, even if they are only transitting through a UK airport. The cost of a UK visa on top of a Schengen visa is exorbitant :(:mad:.
Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks!

Hi Seattlewoman,

I'm also starting late may!
I just booked a flight from Vancouver CAN to Paris it arrives around 1pm and I have a flight from there to Biarritz 4:20-5:45. From there, I gather, it is easy to take a 1 hour taxi or book the shuttle Express Bourricot (booking for 2018 starts in January, its too early now) http://expressbourricot.com/. Alternately, there is a bus but it takes a little longer and goes to Bayonne first. The cost of the shuttle is $125 CDN but can be shared with up to 8 people and you can stipulate in your email that you only want to book if you share with at least one other person. The shuttle must be pre-booked, even if by text an hour before. A cost of a taxi is roughly the same but you can maybe see other people with their packs and share the cost. - according to my research...which I do constantly even 6 months out from the trip.

I agree, this is one of the best ways for people from N America to get to St. Jean, it is what I did with a slight variation, I flew into Paris and took an Air France direct to Biarritz, about 45 minute flight, perfect!

I flew into Paris and took an Air France direct to Biarritz, about 45 minute flight, perfect!

For others also considering this option: note that international flights may arrive at Charles de Gaulle airport, but the connecting flight (not all) may depart from Orly airport. Allow enough time (at least two or three hours, maybe more depending on the traffic / strikes / delays) to get from CDG to ORY :eek:.
Jill

€46,-
Thanks!

From SeaTac, I took Icelandair (short layover in Reykejvic) to Charles de Gaulle in Paris > Air France regional jet to Biarritz > EXPRESS BOURRICOT shuttle to St Jean Pied de Port.

I live in Moses Lake. I have accessed the Camino from both Paris and Madrid.

If your question is, "What is the quickest way to get from SeaTac to SJPP?", then the answer is fly Delta, non-stop, from SeaTac to Charles De Gaul (it leaves around 2 pm and arrives around 8 am). Once at Charles de Gaul, you take either the bus, a taxi, or the Metro (I prefer a taxi) to the Gare Montparnasse train station in the heart of the city. You then board a direct high speed train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne. At Bayonne, you either take the local train (which will be waiting for your train from Paris) or a taxi (which I prefer) to SJPP. If you use taxis in Paris and Bayonne, the trip takes about 19 hours (four of which you can nap on the high speed train).

Others will suggest flying to Paris and then take a flight from Paris to Biarritz before making your way to Bayonne by bus or taxi, and then onto SJPP. The problem with this route is that you may have to leave Charles de Gaul airport and travel to Orly airport to catch your flight. Or if you find a flight from Charles de Gaul to Biarritz, it may not leave for hours. Another problem is your arrival in Bayonne from Biarritz. The local train, which makes infrequent trips to SJPP will probably not be waiting.

So, while flying on a plane at 600 mph from Paris to southwest France may seem quicker than a 200 mph train, it's not when you consider the other issues. For me, sitting in Charles de Gaul for four hours while others are arriving in Bayonne on the train makes no sense. Especially if you are jet lagged. A four hour nap on the train beats sitting on your luggage at the airport.

Regarding your high speed train options, some might tell you to fly to Charles de Gaul and then catch a high speed train directly from the high speed train station at the airport to Bayonne. But there are two problems with this option. First, the trains from Charles de Gaul to Bayonne do not leave as frequently as the trains from Gare Montparnasse for Bayonne. So again, you are sitting at the airport--jet lagged--doing nothing while others making their way to Gare Montparnasse and are already catching a four hour nap.

The other problem with catching a train at Charles de Gaul is that those trains do not go directly to Bayonne. You will have to disembark and switch trains at some time. That becomes an issue because that requires you to remain awake and vigilant for your stop. That's the equivalent of tourist water-boarding. Again, if you board a direct train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, you can set the alarm on your phone and grab several hours of sleep knowing that you do not have to worry about switching trains.

Now, there are those who would recommend flying into Madrid from Seattle. This has a whole host of problems.

First, there are no nonstop flights from SeaTac to Madrid. Your nonstop flights to Europe from SeaTac are: Paris (on Delta), London (on Delta and British Airways), Amsterdam (on Delta), Frankfurt (on Lufthansa and Condor), Munich (seasonally on Condor), and Reykjavik (on Icelander Air). This means a plane change to fly from Seattle to Madrid. Which costs you time. Some connections are tight (like less than an hour). This can cause a huge cascade of obvious problems. So to counteract this, you book a longer connection (if one is available). Which means you are once again sitting in an airport while others are in Paris, boarding a high speed train to Bayonne.

The second problem with making your way from Madrid to SJPP is that it takes longer than making your way from Paris to SJPP. The trip from Madrid to SJPP involves several combinations of trains, busses, and/or taxis. At best, you land in Madrid and make your way to Pamplona by bus or train. Then you can take milk run bus to SJPP. But, he last time I looked, the bus from Pamplona to SJPP leaves only once a day just before noon. Which means you have to spend the night in Pamplona. Not exactly a quick route. And more costly given the overnight in Pamplona.

The last issue of flying into Paris instead of Madrid is a romantic notion. If you fly into Paris, your first steps in Spain will be on a scenic dirt path high up in the Pyrenees instead of a concrete sidewalk outside the Madrid airport. Ever walked into a country? In the mountains? It's kind of cool.

Another suggestion you might receive about flying from Seattle to Madrid is to change planes in the United States. This is not a good idea for several reasons.

First, as previously discussed, getting from Madrid to SJPP from is more time consuming (and frankly, more of a hassle) than getting from Paris to SJPP.

Second, changing planes in the United States means that you are literally not flying in a straight line to Europe. Remember, most of Europe is above the Canadian/United States border. By flying on Delta from Seattle to Atlanta you are literally flying away from Europe at a 45 degree angle. A straight line from Seattle to Paris goes over northern Canada, Greenland, and then Iceland. I know that sounds crazy, but if you look at a globe (or Google Earth) you will see a straight line from Seattle to Paris goes over northern Canada, Greenland, and Iceland (remember, flat maps distort the true route that planes take). So, by flying to Atlanta, you are literally adding hours to your trip.

Now, if your question is, what is the cheapest way to get to SJPP from Seattle?, then all bets are off.

You look for the lowest airfare from Seattle to either Paris or Madrid, regardless of layovers. The cost of the train from Paris to SJPP is roughly the same cost as the train from Madrid to Pamplona. The only major issue is spending the extra day in Pamplona to catch the morning bus to SJPP.

But be forewarned, once you've been awake for 32 hours, and are in desperate need of sleep, saving $200 on a cheaper airfare no longer seems like a brilliant idea.

Last edited:
The only major issue is spending the extra day in Pamplona to catch the morning bus to SJPP.

Or you can take a taxi to SJPP from Pamplona from the train station. It's about 100 Euro. This taxi company will take your reservation in advance, and if you want, arrange for you to share the taxi and the cost with other pilgrims.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@OTH86 Funny you suggest coming to Vancouver - most often we Canadians head to Seattle for cheaper flights, go figure!

@SeattleWoman the one thing I learned was how cheap flights were inside Europe. Quite a few people mentioned to me that they got short haul flights within Europe for less than $100. Trains in Europe tend be somewhat pricey in comparison to flights, but to a North American it was delightful to take a train ride! You might fly to a major city, and then book a separate flight or train ride to your start point. Just make sure that if the second flight is with a different airline and booked separately, you give yourself enough time to transfer - you will probably have to clear customs/immigration and security when you transfer and the time can be quite substantial in the major airports.

You might enjoy taking a day or two in a major city in Europe before traveling to your start point if you have the time. I ended up with a week of a "vacation" near Geneva, which was a nice way to separate work from pilgrimage. Not to mention getting over jet lag, and doing a few errands that I didn't have time to do before I left (buying odds and sods, including a local plug/charger doohicky for my phone, so I didn't have to carry a converter). It was pretty luxurious feeling to have that time. I took a train from Geneva to Paris, 2 nights in Paris, then a high speed train to Hendaye (the starting point for the Norte, but lots of pilgrims take the same train as far as Biarritz).

Forgive the slight digression...I also had a couple of days after finishing to hang out in Santiago before flying back to Vancouver. When planning "the end" I left myself more time than I actually needed. I skipped a stage about 150km from the end because I was worried I wouldn't have time to site see and that I would regret not exploring Santiago. In truth, once I arrived, got my credential and attended mass, I was really ready to come home by then and kind of felt like I was wasting time.

You will have to disembark and switch trains at some time. That becomes an issue because that requires you to remain awake and vigilant for your stop. That's the equivalent of tourist water-boarding. Again, if you board a direct train from Gare Montparnasse to Bayonne, you can set the alarm on your phone and grab several hours of sleep knowing that you do not have to worry about switching trains...

But be forewarned, once you've been awake for 32 hours, and are in desperate need of sleep, saving $200 on a cheaper airfare no longer seems like a brilliant idea.

@RobertS26 I think you might be my hero for this post - "Tourist waterboarding" - oh sooooo true!!!!! My flight itinerary home was: Santiago, Zurich, San Francisco, Vancouver. Flights were delayed. By the time I was trying figure out what I was supposed to be doing in San Francisco, I had been awake for more than 24 hours. Happily once home all I needed to do was sleep. I cannot imagine if I ended up in an albergue where I had to be up and out by 8am after that experience!

And yes, walking across a border is AMAZING - I hate back tracking, so the extra $$ would be worth it to avoid walking over a path or through a city I'd just traveled through.

I will say that no matter what way you get to the closest town to Saint Jean Pied the Port, take the small train to get to Saint Jean Pied de Port. I do not remember the details but that little trip is a great memory in me. Great time to go!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't have the bus schedule from Pamplona to SJPP handy, but there are various buses leaving to SJPP during the day. Team Sailor [my wife and me] had reservations for a bus leaving Pamplona at 1730 and arriving at SJPP at about 1915, however, our flight from Washington DC was delayed, arriving Madrid more than FIVE hours late--we missed our train to Pamplona and our bus to SJPP. We had to catch a LATE train to Pamplona, arriving there at about 1815. Our day was saved by another peregrino, he arrived Pamplona on the same train we were traveling on, he was heading to Roncesvalles to start his camino, so, we split the taxi fare [total of 100 Euros from Pamplona to SJPP]. We finally arrived SJPP at about 2030 local. Note, I had paid for two train tickets and two bus tickets in advance [all non-refundable, money lost]. Now I will think twice before making train or bus reservations in advance--flight delays do happen, but there is light at the end of the tunnel, I have received $200 in discount coupons [customer appreciation plan after delays] for our next flights with the same airline [planning for the next trip in progress]. Thanks for reading, good luck, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

There are flights into Pamplona as well. Seems about as easy as flying into Biarritz. We're flying Lufthansa: US to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Pamplona, taxi to SJPP. Returning directly from Santiago to USA via Frankfurt.

We're flying Lufthansa: US to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Pamplona, taxi to SJPP. Returning directly from Santiago to USA via Frankfurt.

Where are you flying from in the United States? The OP, SeattleWoman, is asking specifically about Seattle to SJPP. If she flies Lufthansa nonstop from Seattle to Frankfurt (a flight I take 8 times a year) she is scheduled to arrive in Frankfurt at 8:50 am. Lufthansa's only flight from Frankfurt to Pamplona leaves at 9:50 am each morning. The Lufthansa website will not allow you to book a Seattle--Frankfurt--Pamplona ticket on the same day because the connection in Frankfurt is too tight.

Remember, you need to clear Customs, clear Immigration, and make it to your next gate within 30 minutes of departure. Frankfurt, although well marked and extremely efficient, is a huge airport--not only in number of flights and gates, but square footage. It's enormous terminal building stretches 1.6 miles from end to end. And most short haul flights like Frankfurt to Pamplona board on the tarmac--not from a gate attached to the terminal. This means you have to be to your gate where you board a bus that takes you out to the plane. Usually only two busses are used to ferry passengers out onto the tarmac to board a short haul flight on a A-320. You miss the busses, your goose is cooked.

Although I love Lufthansa (especially it's lie flat business seats on the upper deck of the 747-400 it flies between Seattle and Frankfurt), and absolutely adore Frankfurt's airport (where English is spoken fluently), that is just too tight of a connection.

And that's why I suggested she fly nonstop into Paris on Delta out of Seattle.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I fly out of Chicago and have always flown nonstop into Madrid with no problems. I've used both the bus and the train to Pamplona. I prefer the bus only because it leaves right from the airport quite a few times each day. The train is nice, too, but you have to take a shuttle to the Atocha station first, a bit of a time waster. There are many taxis waiting to take pilgrims to SJPdP from Pamplona bus and train stations and yes, better to share that $100 cost with others. Depending on the time of year you plan to walk, buses from Pamplona to SJPdP change their schedules from almost nonexistent in winter, (which don't usually coincide with arrival in Pamplona) up to approximately five times per day during the busiest season. I have looked into flights from Madrid to Pamplona but they have always been quite expensive comparatively; same as when I needed to get to San Sebastian for the Norte route. The bus worked best and was more reasonable in cost.

I have not tried flying into Paris, but the logistics always sound more confusing to me to get to SJPdP. I guess it boils down to whatever feels more comfortable to each person; especially for "repeat offenders" like me, who get our personal preferences down to a science. :)

Thanks!
As previously pointed out, the easiest way to get to St. Jean from North America depends on where you are starting. I have flown from Boston MA to Pamplona and caught the bus to St. Jean from the bus station in Pamplona, and that is a lot simpler than the many transfers and changes people are describing. My ticket from Boston to Pamplona did not cost much more, actually probably the same or less, than the other options of catching a bus or train from Madrid and less stressful on the jet-lagged traveler. I don't understand why people think they can't fly to Pamplona.

€46,-
Well, all answers are pointing to fly from somewhere to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, but the OP was asking "to the start of the CF".
This is officially in Roncesvalles ;)
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.
You are most likely correct, but I'd wager a bet to think over 80% of first time pilgrims asume the "start" is SJPdP. :rolleyes:

Thanks!
Hi Seattle woman. I live in Puyallup--very close and have walked the Camino 5 times. I fly from Seattle to Madrid. I buy train tickets online and catch the train to Pamplona. I stay a night or two to get over jet lag and then take the bus to St. Jean. I buy the tickets online but you can also buy them the same day. You will not be alone because I see many other pilgrims on the train. Because I live so close let me know if you need anything else. I tried flying to London and then France twice and found it not as easy or straight forward. Also I am Sharon Easygoing's wife. You will love walking the Camino

Well, all answers are pointing to fly from somewhere to St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, but the OP was asking "to the start of the CF".
This is officially in Roncesvalles ;)

I have a copy of the 1985 camino guide by Don Elias Valina - the man who invented the yellow arrows and was the first to mark out a specific walking route for the Camino Frances. He begins his guide in St Jean Pied de Port rather than Roncesvalles. That's official enough for me :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As previously pointed out, the easiest way to get to St. Jean from North America depends on where you are starting. I have flown from Boston MA to Pamplona and caught the bus to St. Jean from the bus station in Pamplona, and that is a lot simpler than the many transfers and changes people are describing. My ticket from Boston to Pamplona did not cost much more, actually probably the same or less, than the other options of catching a bus or train from Madrid and less stressful on the jet-lagged traveler. I don't understand why people think they can't fly to Pamplona.
I really wished your observations were true for me, but a one way ticket getting me to Pamplona from Chicago was almost as much as some of the round trip fares to Madrid and still had a layover. I just looked again and find the same issue. I always fly back to Madrid from Santiago on Ryan Air, which is very reasonable....Maybe you can be my travel agent the next time I plan to go! :)

Hi @SeattleWoman
At the risk of being thought not to answer your question, may I suggest quite a different way to get to Saint-Jean.

Start from Le Puy-en-Velay and walk the 750 km or so to Saint-Jean.

From my experience there is as much infrstructure along that way as there is from Saint-Jean to Santiago de Compostela.

From Saint-Jean you woulb be in great shape to cross the Pyrenees to Pamplona.

When there you could decide whether to carry on or have a rest and return to Pamplona some other time and continue.

How to get to Le Puy?

Arrive at Charles de Gaulle (Paris), fast train from the airport to Lyon and less fast train to Le Puy.

For your consideration.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

@SeattleWoman You can always join some of the Seattle pilgrims on the 2nd Sunday of each month as we walk from the Ballard Locks to Discovery Park. It is a great place to ask questions. We meet at 1pm at the Locks entrance and about 1:45pm at the Discovery Park visitor center.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My first Camino I flew from Boston into Paris and did the whole - airport-bus to Pairs train station- 5 hours train to Bayonne-1 hours local train to St Jean. It was a bit crazy and long.

The second time I flew into Madrid, there is a direct flight from Madrid to Biarritz (1 hr flight maybe) and took a shuttle (45 min) with a group of people straight to downtown St Jean. The second way was cheaper actually :)

Buen Camino

...At the moment Icelandair are offering return fares via Reykjavik from a little under $500..

In May / June 2017 I flew Iceland Air RT Seattle to Paris. I spoiled myself with upgrades so didn’t get the lowest airfare. The convenience of knowing my bags were handled on one airline through Reykjavik to CDG relieved some stress. The flight, service, and timing was perfect for my purposes. I spent a couple of nights on either end at the OOPS hostel in Paris (35€). The train/bus from Paris to SJPDP via Barritz is a nice low key adjustment to Europe before your walk. That’s my recommendation.

BC,
-Jason

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Can someone please confirm that if you fly with Ryanair from SDC to Madrid, that you will arrive at the Madrid-Barajas International airport? Such a simple question, yet incredibly frustrating...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, I'm searching for any transportation ways to to get to sjpp from Biarritz. Would anyone let me know how to get to? I would like taking bus or train. Thank you.
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hi All, My girlfriend and I are planning to do the Camino Primitivo. I'll be honest here; I'm not entirely sure how far we'll get, but Caminoways says that the entire route can be done in 15...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back