• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel Tips, please - Bayonne/Barcelona

Icacos

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013)
Hi, I'm Charleen. Thank you for all the valuable info on this Forum. I'm back with a few questions.

1. I'm due to fly into Biarritz at 9:30 p.m. on a Tuesday in early April. At that time of night, and since I don't speak the language, I think the best thing would be to take a taxi to my hotel next to the train station in Bayonne. If I can find someone else heading to Bayonne to share the cost, so much the better. Would it be easy to find a taxi at that time of night and how much should I expect to pay?

2. As I will have to wait for a friend to join me three days later in SJPP, I plan to spend two nights in Bayonne and one night in SJPP before we start our Camino on Friday afternoon. Other than soaking up the sights and culture, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do during that time? This might sound crazy, but does anyone walk at least part way from Bayonne to SJPP? Or would any walking be solely on the road?

3. I have allowed 47 days from my start at SJPP to when I have to get to Barcelona, presumably via Madrid, to head home. My flight leaves Barcelona (BCN) at 6:20 a.m. Any suggestions as to where I can stay in Barcelona to give me easy early-morning access to the airport? Any suggestions about visiting Madrid? It seems a shame not to see some of Madrid and Barcelona while I am there, but I am concerned about safety, especially as I will be traveling alone. A friend from Barcelona has told me not to carry any kind of handbag, even an over the shoulder one, because of purse-snatchers and the risk of injury.

Thank you for any suggestions. All will be appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
charlesx said:
Hi, I'm Charleen. Thank you for all the valuable info on this Forum. I'm back with a few questions.

1. I'm due to fly into Biarritz at 9:30 p.m. on a Tuesday in early April. At that time of night, and since I don't speak the language, I think the best thing would be to take a taxi to my hotel next to the train station in Bayonne. If I can find someone else heading to Bayonne to share the cost, so much the better. Would it be easy to find a taxi at that time of night and how much should I expect to pay?

last time I checked it was 25 euro-outside the exit door to the left by the bus stop and for sure the taxi's will be there also people who may share with you,just talk to anyone with a backpack that looks ok.

2. As I will have to wait for a friend to join me three days later in SJPP, I plan to spend two nights in Bayonne and one night in SJPP before we start our Camino on Friday afternoon. Other than soaking up the sights and culture, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do during that time? This might sound crazy, but does anyone walk at least part way from Bayonne to SJPP? Or would any walking be solely on the road?

yes people do walk to Sjpp don't know what its like-quite hilly I would presume-myself I would catch the cheap train into Spain stay at the albergue in Irun mixing with fellow pilgrims and walk/catch train to San Sebastion/Donastia and enjoy that beutifull city staying for the night in the youth hostell and catch the trains back to Sjpp the next day

3. I have allowed 47 days from my start at SJPP to when I have to get to Barcelona, presumably via Madrid, to head home. My flight leaves Barcelona (BCN) at 6:20 a.m. Any suggestions as to where I can stay in Barcelona to give me easy early-morning access to the airport? Any suggestions about visiting Madrid? It seems a shame not to see some of Madrid and Barcelona while I am there, but I am concerned about safety, especially as I will be traveling alone. A friend from Barcelona has told me not to carry any kind of handbag, even an over the shoulder one, because of purse-snatchers and the risk of injury.

after 47 days of walking I would be drinking/eating in Barcelona catching the last bus/train to the airport and bedding down till my flight,after the same you will be surprised what you are capable of
I think ryanair fly cheap flights to Madrid /Barcelona from Santiago no need to book till 20 days into your walk.
Ian

Thank you for any suggestions. All will be appreciated.

after 47 days of walking I would be drinking/eating in Barcelona catching the last bus/train to the airport and bedding down till my flight,

You mean crash at the airport?! I would never have thought of that, but I am intrigued with the idea. And crazy enough to try it.

Thank you too for your other ideas and suggestions including visiting San Sebastian. I've always heard it is a beautiful city.

:D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Charleen:

1. A taxi from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station cost me 23 Euro's. So I would say 25 Euro's is a good estimate. I also agree with the suggestion to look for others with a back pack to share ride.

2. I guess my first question here is why are you coming in 3 days ahead of your friend? Why not schedule a different flight and come in the same day or early enough to catch the train to SJPdP? You might want to spend another day in the location you are flying from. That said, you could explore some of the coastal cities in the area. Trains to any of the nearby cities are readily available, Bordeaux to the north (France), possibly a visit to Lourdes (France), Irun, San Sebastian to the South (Spain). I am sure you could also do some walking towards SJPdP. It depends on your personal taste/interests.

3.Forty-seven days should be more than adequate to walk the Frances. Depending on how long it takes, you might want to go on to Finisterre or spend extra days in Santiago to catch up with folks you have met on your walk. As far as visiting Madrid and Barcelona, I would choose one. They are both beautiful cities. Since you are flying out of Barcelona, It might be easier to focus on this city. Barcelona is also coastal if you have any interest in the beach scene. Looking at the safety aspect, you should take the same precautions you take in any large city. Others might be able to advise you more about areas to avoid.

Ultreya,
Joe

A taxi from Biarritz airport to Bayonne train station cost me 23 Euro's. So I would say 25 Euro's is a good estimate. I also agree with the suggestion to look for others with a back pack to share ride.

2. I guess my first question here is why are you coming in 3 days ahead of your friend? Why not schedule a different flight and come in the same day or early enough to catch the train to SJPdP? You might want to spend another day in the location you are flying from. That said, you could explore some of the coastal cities in the area. Trains to any of the nearby cities are readily available, Bordeaux to the north (France), possibly a visit to Lourdes (France), Irun, San Sebastian to the South (Spain). I am sure you could also do some walking towards SJPdP. It depends on your personal taste/interests.

3.Forty-seven days should be more than adequate to walk the Frances. Depending on how long it takes, you might want to go on to Finisterre or spend extra days in Santiago to catch up with folks you have met on your walk. As far as visiting Madrid and Barcelona, I would choose one. They are both beautiful cities. Since you are flying out of Barcelona, It might be easier to focus on this city. Barcelona is also coastal if you have any interest in the beach scene. Looking at the safety aspect, you should take the same precautions you take in any large city. Others might be able to advise you more about areas to avoid.

Ultreya,
Joe

Only just saw your response, Joe. Thank you very much for all your suggestions. It is reassuring to know that I might have time to continue on to Finisterre, and yes, I am now leaning towards spending some time in Barcelona at the end.

As to why I am arriving three days before my friend - well, that's because I booked my flights before I asked her if she'd like to join me, and she cannot get there until the weekend. But, not to worry; I will enjoy the down-time while I wait for her.

With respect to your other suggestions of places to visit in such a short space of time, you sound like a seasoned traveler. I, on the other hand, am not an old hand at it - in fact, this will be my first time traveling solely with a backpack, and I am more than apprehensive about it. However, I will bear all your suggestions in mind. Thank you very much.

I have booked my flights to Paris and that's were I fall apart. I have checked travel to Biarritz by air. My wife wants to travel to Biarritz and then to SJPP by train. I have looked at the train schedule but they are not yet available for September. Does any one have any suggestion on how to get from Paris to SJPP.
Also we will be posting our luggage forward on to Santiago. Any Help?
Thank you

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have booked my flights to Paris and that's were I fall apart. I have checked travel to Biarritz by air. My wife wants to travel to Biarritz and then to SJPP by train. I have looked at the train schedule but they are not yet available for September. Does any one have any suggestion on how to get from Paris to SJPP.
Also we will be posting our luggage forward on to Santiago. Any Help?
Thank you

I put a list of useful links for getting from Paris to SJPdP here:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/comm...useful-links-for-travel-paris-to-sjpdp.23274/

You'll have to wait for detail about train schedule as September information won't be available till then ... no one on this forum will have better information than the train company's website. I'm not sure how much it varies ... so you can probably make a good guess from today's schedule.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back