• Update 2: We should be back as normal now. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to Irún

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2023 Vasco, Meseta, Portugues Coastal
Hi all. Tried to find this information but didn’t see it. I will do The Norte hopefully this September. Looking at flights to Madrid and Barcelona. They seem to be about the same distance. Is there a train or bus I could take from either airport that can get me to Irún or San Sebastián without having to go into either city? I have been to both cities before and need to start my Camino soon after I arrive. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Good luck on the Norte.
I do not know where you are flying from but if from UK may be worth considering (if you can fly direct)
Bordeaux, overnight there, then take the train direct to Irun which when I did it year before last was something like 23 euros and 5 hours travel.
Whatever route you decide, it's all part of the adventure.
Buen Camino,
Don.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi all. Tried to find this information but didn’t see it. I will do The Norte hopefully this September. Looking at flights to Madrid and Barcelona. They seem to be about the same distance. Is there a train or bus I could take from either airport that can get me to Irún or San Sebastián without having to go into either city? I have been to both cities before and need to start my Camino soon after I arrive. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
What about a flight into Bordeaux or Biarritz and then the train to Irun? I did Irun to Bordeaux as part of my return from Santiago last time. It was a lovely rain ride and at Irun you can decide to start walking or take the train to San Sebastián.
Ultreia!

Sorry I should have mentioned that. I will be flying in from Mexico. I was checking flights only into Spain. I haven't checked to London. Iberia was about $250 less into Madrid than the flights into Paris are. Flying into secondary cities will make the prices a lot more. That is why I was thinking Madrid and than train or bus it up to Irun. Would like to do it all in one trip then get a cheap pension and sleep for a day or two and start walking.

Vueling offers direct flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian for as little as €24 in September. The airport is actually in Irun, not San Sebastian (the bus takes 4 minutes to get from the airport to Irun centre, you can check on Google maps). There are 2 flights per day, early morning (6:50-8am) and afternoon (16:40-17:50).

Otherwise Tincatinker's advice about getting the bus from Madrid T4 is probably the best option (although it takes around 6 hours). Or maybe check for other combinations on "Rome2Rio.com"?

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Vueling offers direct flights from Barcelona to San Sebastian for as little as €24 in September. The airport is actually in Irun, not San Sebastian (the bus takes 4 minutes to get from the airport to Irun centre, you can check on Google maps). There are 2 flights per day, early morning (6:50-8am) and afternoon (16:40-17:50).

Otherwise Tincatinker's advice about getting the bus from Madrid T4 is probably the best option (although it takes around 6 hours). Or maybe check for other combinations on "Rome2Rio.com"?
Thanks that is the best news of the day!!!!!

Have you checked on flights from your home airport directly to Bilbao? Flights to smaller cities are not always more expensive. Last year I started the Norte in Irún, flying to Bilbao. Those flights (from Boston, USA) were cheaper than those to Madrid! And, it's an easy bus from the Bilbao airport to the Termibus station in Bilbao, then a bus from there to Irún. If Madrid (or Barcelona) is cheaper, (which it is for me this year), consider a flight from to Bilbao, or San Sebastian (as Jan D. suggested) booked as a separate ticket from your transatlantic flight. Then the bus to Irún. Just be sure to leave plenty of time between those flights in case of delays. I will be doing just that (flights Boston- Madrid, then Madrid- Bilbao) next month. The flight I booked from Madrid to Bilbao was not expensive at all and will save me lots of time if all goes according to schedule. It was quite a bit less expensive than booking Boston directly to Bilbao. I also booked a separate ticket from Santiago to Madrid the day before I fly back to the states. Again, very inexpensive. Worth checking out. I wish you Buen Camino. Enjoy the wonderful people, the wonderful food, and the wonder scenery of the Norte!

We flew into Barcelona,had prebooked train straight to Irun. The train went through San Sebastion on the way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.