• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to Ponferrada

Amelia E.

Time of past OR future Camino
one
Hello, I will be flying into Madrid and taking either the train or bus to Ponferrada. Does anyone know if either the bus or train station is right at the airport? I'm trying to keep things simple and would prefer to catch the train or bus right from the airport if possible.

Thanks for any help?
Amelia

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aena manages Madrid Airport
http://www.aena.es/en/madrid-barajas-airport/index.html

Renfe train to Ponferrada leaves from Madrid Chamartin.
http://www.renfe.com/

ALSA buses originate or call at some or all of Madrid Barajas Airport T4, Estacion Sur, and Moncloa before proceeding to Ponferrada. You have to see the schedule to figure which bus meets your needs.
https://www.alsa.es/en/home

Renfe Cercanias (commuter) train connects from Madrid Airport T4 to Chamartin and Estacion Sur (station Mendez Alvaro). You can buy your Renfe ticket to Ponferrada at the airport and have the Cercanias price to Chamartin included.

Madrid Metro connects from Madrid Airport T4 or T1T2T3 to Chamartin, Estacion Sur (station Mendez Alvaro) and Moncloa. There is work ongoing on the line connecting to the airport ... you'll have to check Madrid Metro website to confirm if it is running.

EMT Madrid Airport bus #203 connects from several airport stops to Madrid Atocha where you can connect to Metro and Cercanias. It might be more efficient than interterminal shuttle if your plane doesn't arrive at T4/T4S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm trying to keep things simple and would prefer to catch the train or bus right from the airport if possible.
Both bus and train "sort of" leave from the airport. The bus stop is at terminal T-4, and there are a half dozen departures daily, including one late at night for an early morning arrival in Ponferrada. The Cercanias shuttle also leaves from T-4 and connects to Chamartin train station for Ponferrada. Allow for about 1.5 hours from baggage pickup to the Chamartin departure. There is a Renfe ticket office in T-4 right by the Ceranias entry stiles. The price of the ticket from Chamartin includes the Cercanias shuttle, which leaves about every 30 minutes. The train is more comfortable, but I suggest taking whichever form of transportation most closely matches your airport arrival time.

My husband and son arrive in Madrid (middle of July) to meet me and my daughter in Ponferrada. Their flight lands at 7:30 a.m. T4, and there is a bus at 10 a.m. They will have one piece of luggage to retrieve from baggage claim and then I am assuming a wait in a customs line. My question is (barring any flight delays) should this be enough time for them to get the 10 a.m. bus? I would like to buy the tickets for them in advance online. The next bus isn't until the afternoon. Is there good signage to direct them to the bus staging area? Also, if they do happen to miss the 10 a.m. bus, is there an ALSA bus counter in the airport they can visit to get a different ticket?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Trying tonight to reserve train service from Madrid T4 to Ponferrada for Sept 23 with a 0830 plane arrival from the USA.. I forgot how difficult that is to do. Like I said, merely just trying...... :(

Trying tonight to reserve train service from Madrid T4 to Ponferrada for Sept 23 with a 0830 plane arrival from the USA.. I forgot how difficult that is to do. Like I said, merely just trying...... :(
If you see the post above, my husband and son took the bus from Madrid airport to Ponferrada. I highly recommend the bus. Normally I prefer trains but the bus in this case I think will be the easiest, most time efficient option. There are renovations happening on the train line that takes you from airport to the train station (can't think of the name right now) where you would catch the train to Ponferrada. With the renovations you will have to take a (free) shuttle at one point and transfer. I also remember that the train to Ponferrada also involves a transfer in Leon possibly? To me, after a long overnight flight, simple and direct is best. The bus station is right at T4 in the airport.

If you see the post above, my husband and son took the bus from Madrid airport to Ponferrada. I highly recommend the bus. Normally I prefer trains but the bus in this case I think will be the easiest, most time efficient option. There are renovations happening on the train line that takes you from airport to the train station (can't think of the name right now) where you would catch the train to Ponferrada. With the renovations you will have to take a (free) shuttle at one point and transfer. I also remember that the train to Ponferrada also involves a transfer in Leon possibly? To me, after a long overnight flight, simple and direct is best. The bus station is right at T4 in the airport.

Hello Brambles!! Well, you give great advice! In fact that is exactly what I did. I gave up on Renfe and went to Alsa and booked a bus for wife and I. It was fairly simple once I called my credit card company and explained to them that it was ME that was trying to buy a bus ticket in Spain. :)

Nice Supra ride with only two stops and no transfers......

I have said it before and I will say it again: I wish that Renfe would hire someone that understands us "silly" Americans so it would be easier for us to buy train tickets.

With the means to get to Ponferrada behind me, I can now think only about being a Hospitalero now in Acebo!! And that is good!!!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Glad it worked out with your bus ticket purchase. We just got home from finishing the Frances a week ago. Coming into Acebo was memorable because it was so hot and I found it difficult. This was one of two times that my daughter and I (and other pilgrims we were walking with) ran out of water. You might encounter some parched pilgrims! Enjoy your time as a hospitalero!

I forgot how difficult that is to do. Like I said, merely just trying...... :(
I never try to navigate the Renfe site anymore, but book through Loco2 or Trainline. Either is SO much easier.
That's a moot point now that you've got those bus tickets, @HalfDomeOrBust , but for future reference.
May your hospi time be rich and wonderful!

I never try to navigate the Renfe site anymore, but book through Loco2 or Trainline. Either is SO much easier.
That's a moot point now that you've got those bus tickets, @HalfDomeOrBust , but for future reference.
Thank you VN. Yes the Hospitalero volunteering will be amazing!!

I also did try the Loco2 site but that seemed to be beyond my school grade level as well :)

Guess I was born to be a bus rider..... :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

I get renfe tickets consistently from USA with no problem. It is likely that it is your credit card company that is stopping the purchase. Loco2 and trainline.eu are two good options. petrabax.com is a company in USA that adds a small fee but also books renfe tickets and you can also print at home.

If you are having trouble with your purchase through renfe and need assistance read this section below from website of man in seat 61 (seat61.com)

Pretty much the only reason to battle with renfe.com rather than buying easily from www.loco2.com or www.trainline.eu is that it may allow you to select a specific seats from a seating plan, although only if buying an expensive Flexible fare, and only if you manage to spot the easily-missed link. However, www.loco2.com or www.trainline.eu allow you to choose seating options and they both show you your seat numbers before you pay, so you can always compare them with a a seating plan then run multiple enquiries if you don't like the first ones you are given, adding seats to your basket until you get ones you like. Then cancel the ones you don't need and pay for those you do.

If you want to try using Renfe.com please read the advice on using Renfe.com below. It frustrates many people, though I have to say it has always worked fine with my own credit card and it now also accepts PayPal.

Renfe.com also doesn't handle connections well, so if you want to book (say) from Bilbao to Seville you'll have to guess that this involves a change in Madrid, then book as two journeys, Bilbao to Madrid and Madrid to Seville - whereas Loco2 can generally book from anywhere to anywhere as one transaction, even if connections are involved. The advantage of using renfe.com is that (a) it sells in euros which you may prefer if your own bank account is in euros, and (b) it allows you to pick a specific seat from a numbered seat plan graphic with all fares Promo+ and above (i.e. not if you buy the very cheapest Promo fares). Loco2 allocates your seat, but allows you to see the proposed seat number before you pay, so you can always re-book if you don't like it. For more info see: How to use Renfe.com @ man in seat 61. ( seat61.com) Mark can answer your questions.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back