• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to SJPP

KatG

Time of past OR future Camino
We are flying into Madrid Tuesday and are curious about the best way to get from Madrid to SJPP to start our Camino and if it is obvious to get to train station from airport in Madrid. Also we would like to at the end of our Camino get down to Porto for a few days. recommendations on: bus/train etc. for doing that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi KatG! Welcome to the forum!

To get from Madrid airport to SJPP you have several options depending on your arrival time.

PLM autocares (http://plmautocares.com) has a direct bus from the airport to Pamplona six days per week that may (or may not) suit you. If the PLM bus schedule doesn't suit you, Alsa has more frequencies and runs daily from Madrid airport to Pamplona but it means a change of buses along the route (most likely in Soria). Take a look at the web of Alsa www.alsa.es/en for more info. Once in Pamplona, take a bus to SJPP. Buses from Pamplona to SJPP are operated by Alsa so take a look at their web for info.

If you prefer to make part of the route by train, direct trains from Madrid to Pamplona depart from Puerta de Atocha train station. To get from the airport to that train station, you can take a Cercanías (commuter) train from Terminal 4 in the airport to Atocha or take the Express bus to Atocha from either Terminal 4 or Terminal 1 or Terminal 2. For info about trains, www.renfe.com and for info about the express bus www.emtmadrid.es/Aeropuerto (click on English). Once in Pamplona, you would need to go to the bus station to get a bus to SJPP (see above). You can walk it but the bus station isn't close to the train station. If you don't want to walk it, you can either take an urban bus that would leave you close to the bus station or pay for a taxi.

To go from Santiago de Compostela to Porto, the easiest way is to take a direct bus operated by Alsa. You can also make the route by train but you would need to change trains in Vigo. Take a look at the webs of Alsa and RENFE for more info.

SJPdP is accessed by CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona and SNCF train from Bayonne.

Via Pamplona

1. Renfe offers train service from Madrid Atocha to Pamplona.

2a. ALSA offers bus service from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America to Pamplona bus station. Some buses stop at Madrid Airport T4 enroute. There is a transfer at either Soria or Zaragosa.

2b. PLM Autocares offers bus service from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America to Pamplona bus station. There is one bus daily Monday to Saturday that starts from Madrid Airport T1.

3. There are flights from Madrid MAD to Pamplona PNA.

Via Bayonne

1. Renfe offers train service from Madrid Atocha to border at Irun/Hendaye. SNCF offers train service from Gare d'Hendaye to Gare de Bayonne.

1b. Transports64 bus #816 from Gare d'Hendaye to Place de Basques in Bayonne ... 1km from Gare de Bayonne.

2. ALSA offers bus service from Madrid to San Sebastian.

2a. ALSA and PESA offer bus service from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne. ALSA goes to Gare Bayonne. PESA goes to Place de Basques.

2b. Donostialdea Metro offers train service from San Sebastian Amara to Hendaia. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

3. There are flights from Madrid to San Sebastian EAS. EAS is located 5 km from Gare d'Hendaye.

4. There are flights from Madrid to Biarritz BIQ. Chronoplus bus #14 connects Biarritz airport to Gare Bayonne.

Madrid Airport to Atocha.

1. Renfe Cercanias train from Airport T4 to Renfe Atocha.

2. Madrid Metro from Airport T1T2T3 and Airport T4 to Renfe Atocha.

3. EMT Madrid Aeropuerto express #203 bus from Airport T1 T2 T3 and T4 direct to Renfe Atocha.

Santiago to Porto

1. Renfe train to Vigo Guixar.

1a. Renfe train from Vigo to Valenca. CP train from Valenca to Porto Campanha.

1b. Celta train (cooperated by Renfe and CP) from Vigo to Porto Campanha

2. Monbus from Santiago bus station to Vigo bus station. Autna bus from Vigo to Porto. Note there is no central bus station in Porto. Autna has three stops including airport.

3. ALSA operates bus service from Santiago bus station to Oporto Casa de Musica

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back