• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel to St Jean de Pied de Port

gscheaff

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and planning on completing Camino Frances this upcoming summer. I've looked around and there seems to be some ambiguity between how to get St. Jean de Pied de Port. I'll be flying into somewhere in Spain from the United States. As of right now, I'm looking at either Pamplona or Barcelona. My questions are:

What are your suggestions of cities to fly into?
Is there still a train/bus that pilgrims can take daily from Pamplona?
If not, what is the best way to get there?

Best,

Greg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Pamplona is preferable, Barcelona is fine as well, there is a bus service that goes from Pamplona to SJPDP during the summer and leaves at 0800, 1400, and 1700. Take a look at a multi destination plane ticket to fly from the US to Pamplona, then from Santiago back to the US on Expedia

Last edited:
St Jean Pied de Port is a small village in France. It is unusually well served by a train from Bayonne that runs several times per day. So travel plans seem to work best by getting from wherever you land in Europe to Bayonne and from there to SJPdP. Major centers that connect well include London, Paris and Madrid. People are also finding good deals going to Barcelona, Pau, and Bordeaux. It doesn't really matter except for cost and time variations; there is good rail and bus connections everywhere. One thing you need to keep in mind is that it is a balance between getting to SJPdP and getting back from Santiago.

There is a bus service that last time I looked runs twice per day from Pamplona to SJPdP in summer only.

Pamplona Bus station where under Rutas we find the bus company that goes to SJPdP
http://estaciondeautobusesdepamplona.com/Inicio.aspx

Bus service Pamplona to SJPdP. Conda also goes to Bayonne.
http://www.conda.es/

Bayonne/Biarritz airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

There is local bus #14 from BIQ to Gare Bayonne.
http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/Plan_reseau_chronoplus_jan2013.pdf

SNCF TER Acquitane. TER is regional train service in France. The train from Gare Bayonne to SJPdP is TER 62. As far as I am aware you cannot reserve a ticket for TER trains and must buy at the station.
http://www.ter-sncf.com/Regions/Aquitaine/fr/Default.aspx

Gare Bayonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

If you come from Barcelona, probably the best way is to take the train to Irun/Hendaye then catch SNCF or SNCF TER train to Bayonne. There is a transfer at the border. Note the train from Barcelona to Irun/Hendaye passes through Pamplona. Some Renfe trains only go as far as Irun while others go on to Hendaye.

Aena operates all Spains airports including Barcelona Airport. You can also use this to find Pamplona airport (where you will find that Pamplona airport is not well connected)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee...s/en/Page/1237548207921//Airport-Network.html

Renfe is Spain train system.
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

SNCF is France train system. You can get TER train information here too. Note SNCF trains go to Irun but SNCF TER trains stop in Hendaye only.
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

There is an Euskotren commuter line that runs from Irun t0 Hendaye at least every hour if you need to transfer.

Another option is Pau airport in France. From there take SNCF to Bayonne ... somewhat less complicated than going from Spain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We flew to Madrid, took the airport shuttle to Terminal 4, then took a bus from there to Pamplona. You can purchase the bus ticket at a kiosk out on the driveway of T4 (sorry, I don't remember the level). Depending on the timing of your arrival in Pamplona, you may be able to catch the afternoon bus to St Jean. We elected to stay overnight in Pamplona to recover from jet lag, and took the bus to St Jean the next day. You can also take a taxi from Pamplona to St Jean, which is more expensive. However, you may be able to share a taxi with other pilgrims -- just type "taxi share" in the forum search box on the right-hand side of the forum header and you'll see several threads on sharing a taxi.

On the return, we took the train from Santiago to Madrid, then the Metro subway to the airport. There is a Renfe ticket office just a couple of doors up from the Pilgrims' office in Santiago, between the Cathedral and the Pilgrims' office. If you decide to return by train, I'd suggest getting the ticket as early as possible as the trains tend to fill up rapidly and it may be hard to get a same-day ticket.

Buen Camino,
Jim

Thanks guys for the responses. I've been looking around and all information I found was pointing to a bus that no longer serviced to SJPdP. I'd like to fly into Spain; however, logistically it almost sounds like France is a bit easier to fly into.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP is seasonal. ALSA does not list it until just before the service starts. Usually, service begins about May 1, but they respond to customer demand, which was strong this year. So it may start earlier. If your summer departure means June, it is extremely likely that the bus will be operating.

In 2013:
The bus service operates:
From 22nd March until 7th April &
From 1st May until 11th November.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks guys for the responses. I've been looking around and all information I found was pointing to a bus that no longer serviced to SJPdP. I'd like to fly into Spain; however, logistically it almost sounds like France is a bit easier to fly into.

Conversely it is easier to fly out of Spain at the end of the trip.

I flew to London Heathrow. Stayed the night at London Stansted and flew on to Biarritz with Ryanair. Then at end trip I went train to Madrid and flew from there to London Gatwick with Easyjet. I could have gone to London from Santiago but my plan was to stay in Spain for a while after the camino. Europe is well connected by discount airlines. My flight home was from London Heathrow. Buses between London's airports takes time and is expensive. England is not part of Schengen treaty area so there is customs to pass through.

Having done both (flew into Paris; flew into Madrid) I find flying into Spain much easier.
From Madrid, there is a bus directly from the airport to Pamplona.
From Pamplona, you can catch a bus to Roncesvalles or a taxi with other pilgrims directly to SJPP.
If you can get a group of pilgrims going on the same morning, the taxi is affordable.
This year, they're charging 155 Euros per taxi and a taxi will hold 7-8 people.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
logistically it almost sounds like France is a bit easier to fly into.[/quote]

If you fly into Pamplona, all you need to take is a taxi or bus to the main bus station and then a €20 bus ride or an expensive taxi to SJPDP, How easy it that? Compared to flying into Paris and taking the train to Bayonne and then another train to SJPDP which will cost more and take more time than just flying into Pamplona.

The bus from Pamplona to SJPdP is seasonal. ALSA does not list it until just before the service starts. Usually, service begins about May 1, but they respond to customer demand, which was strong this year. So it may start earlier. If your summer departure means June, it is extremely likely that the bus will be operating.

In 2013:
The bus service operates:
From 22nd March until 7th April &
From 1st May until 11th November.

Do you know when the schedule will be announced for 2014?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
They wait until the last minute! When they announce the Easter schedule, they usually reveal the summer schedule. I sometimes think it is a game they play, as if they simply have no idea what they will be doing next year. Like the airlines, they seem to like to lie to you when the truth would actually serve them better. Go figure.

Do you know when the schedule will be announced for 2014?

Check the ALSA website in February, don't worry, there will be buses running by at least May.
I'd still fly into Pamplona over Paris, yes a round trip to and from Paris is cheaper, but once you factor the time and money to get to and from Paris it evens out.

Hey all,

I'm new to the forum and planning on completing Camino Frances this upcoming summer. I've looked around and there seems to be some ambiguity between how to get St. Jean de Pied de Port. I'll be flying into somewhere in Spain from the United States. As of right now, I'm looking at either Pamplona or Barcelona. My questions are:

Best,

Greg
Hi Greg, am anxious to hear how you got to SJP. I am wondering the same thing.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
From the American Northwest, I flew into Paris (CDG), took a shuttle (18 euro) to Orly (ORY), hopped on a flight to Biarritz (BIQ), taxi (23 euro) to train station in Bayonne, train to SJPdP. The only delay was the train going into SJPdP and that didn't bother me because it was the last leg...Whew!! Magic, pure magic. Getting to SJPdP is the hardest part.

On the way home, I flew from Santiago to Paris (CDG) where I stayed one night, then flew out of CDG to home. I could have flown from Madrid but the flight time home was extremely long with several stops. My flight from Paris to home was 13.5 hours compared to 18, 20 or even 25 hours........no thanks. Enjoy your planning and I'm sure it will all work out. Oh, in case you're wondering, I flew Delta.

May His peace, joy and love fill you this New Year.

Hey all,

Best,

Greg
We flew in to Pamplona because we didn't know any better, then got a taxi to St.JPP. It took us three days to walk back! I think Bilbao is only a bus ride away. Have a look at other Pilgrim's suggestions as well as [link to commercial post removed by moderator] - buen camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm just worried about not having a bus to get to St.JPP in May/June but there's always the taxi route.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
how about flying into madrid and goes from there to sjpp? it will bve more convenient for you to fly home to the states. regular train service from sjpp to madrid takes 5 hours 44 minutes and also there is a night train with couchette that arrives in the early morning for your flight back to the states.

buen camino.

I'm actually not too worried about getting back to the States. I've got plans to spend an extra week in Europe and meet up with a family member so I'll be flying out of a different city either way.

how about flying into madrid and goes from there to sjpp? it will bve more convenient for you to fly home to the states. regular train service from sjpp to madrid takes 5 hours 44 minutes and also there is a night train with couchette that arrives in the early morning for your flight back to the states.

buen camino.

There is a train directly from Madrid to SJPDP?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a train directly from Madrid to SJPDP?

No there is not a train direct from Madrid to SJPdP.

There is a train to SJPdP from Bayonne operated by SNCF TER Acquitane.

There is a train from the border town Irun/Hendaye to Bayonne operated by SNCF.

There is a train from Madrid to Irun/Hendaye operated by Renfe.

So the train is not direct but it is the fastest most comfortable way to get there.

Hey all,

Best,

Greg
Hi Greg, There are a lot of ways you can go of course. It depends on anything else you might want to do on this journey. I'm from Canada and prefer to travel either to London or Paris then Biarritz where you have to overnight. There are lots of hotels and a couple of youth hostels (which also serve the older folks). One is about two blocks from the train station.From Biarritz there are trains several times a day with a change in Bayonne. The trip from Biarritz including the transfer at Bayonne takes about one and a half hours.

In my experience, the routing with fewest connections and least stress (for me at least) is flying into Paris, ride Les Cars Air France to either Orly (Route 3) or Montparnasse (Route 4), directly from outside the CDG baggage area (Porte 32) to pick up your plane (ORL) or train connection. The coaches (not plain buses) are excellent, run every 30 minutes, and each journey takes about one hour and fifteen minutes. I prefer to watch scenery flash by on the TGV to anxiously waiting if my connecting train is going to arrive on time. The French trains do tend to be precise.;)

Some folks prefer to transfer over to CDG Terminal 2 to pick up the TGV to Bordeaux there, then transfer for a regional train to Bayonne. Personally, I prefer taking the coach to Montparnasse or Orly to trying to navigate between terminals at CDG. Then, I am more comfortable traveling in France instead of Spain, as my French is slightly better though still basic, than my Spanish. But this would be highly personal as well.

From Paris CDG to St. Jean Pied de Port involves three easy connections (coach at CDG, train @ Montparnasse, and train @ Bayonne), any way you slice it, I think this is the fastest and least stressful way to get from Paris to SJPdP.

In my research, a comparable trip from Madrid (East) to Pamplona, or (West) to Irun, and then into France at Hendaye and Bayonne, involves at least more waiting and perhaps an additional connection or two.

One final benefit to coming down from Paris instead of up from Madrid, is that if the TGV arriving at Bayonne at about 17:30 is late, they usually hold the onward TER #62 train to St. Jean as they know there are pilgrims on the train and the TER is usually the last one for the night on most days.:)

The funny thing is that even though the whole EU thing was intended to sort all this stuff, international trains are still unfavorable to international travelers, unless you are going from major national city to major national city. One would have thought that, by now, one could get on a train in Madrid, change once in Spain - say in Sebastian - and get off in Bayonne. But, I understand the train gauges (space between the wheels) is different in Spain and in France. One would have thought that the EU regulatory apparatus would have standardized rail gauges by now...:(

BTW, I usually fly an "Open Jaw." I fly into Paris and home from Madrid. It does not cost much more, and it is infinitely easier to get to Madrid Barajas Airport from Santiago de Compostela than it is to get to Paris. There are bargain airlines that fly to Orly, but they go via Barcelona. You can get a non-stop coach (complete with attendant and meals) from Santiago to Barajas each day. The coaches even have Wi-Fi.

I hope this helps.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
@t2andreo

Your post on connections to St. Jean seems to indicate that you have actually made these connections more than once.
Did you find that the schedules were consistent and reliable?

How many times have you done this? Was it recent?

In my experience, the routing with fewest connections and least stress (for me at least) is flying into Paris, ride Les Cars Air France to either Orly (Route 3) or Montparnasse (Route 4), directly from outside the CDG baggage area (Porte 32) to pick up your plane (ORL) or train connection. The coaches (not plain buses) are excellent, run every 30 minutes, and each journey takes about one hour and fifteen minutes. I prefer to watch scenery flash by on the TGV to anxiously waiting if my connecting train is going to arrive on time. The French trains do tend to be precise.;)

Some folks prefer to transfer over to CDG Terminal 2 to pick up the TGV to Bordeaux there, then transfer for a regional train to Bayonne. Personally, I prefer taking the coach to Montparnasse or Orly to trying to navigate between terminals at CDG. Then, I am more comfortable traveling in France instead of Spain, as my French is slightly better though still basic, than my Spanish. But this would be highly personal as well.

From Paris CDG to St. Jean Pied de Port involves three easy connections (coach at CDG, train @ Montparnasse, and train @ Bayonne), any way you slice it, I think this is the fastest and least stressful way to get from Paris to SJPdP.

In my research, a comparable trip from Madrid (East) to Pamplona, or (West) to Irun, and then into France at Hendaye and Bayonne, involves at least more waiting and perhaps an additional connection or two.

One final benefit to coming down from Paris instead of up from Madrid, is that if the TGV arriving at Bayonne at about 17:30 is late, they usually hold the onward TER #62 train to St. Jean as they know there are pilgrims on the train and the TER is usually the last one for the night on most days.:)

The funny thing is that even though the whole EU thing was intended to sort all this stuff, international trains are still unfavorable to international travelers, unless you are going from major national city to major national city. One would have thought that, by now, one could get on a train in Madrid, change once in Spain - say in Sebastian - and get off in Bayonne. But, I understand the train gauges (space between the wheels) is different in Spain and in France. One would have thought that the EU regulatory apparatus would have standardized rail gauges by now...:(

BTW, I usually fly an "Open Jaw." I fly into Paris and home from Madrid. It does not cost much more, and it is infinitely easier to get to Madrid Barajas Airport from Santiago de Compostela than it is to get to Paris. There are bargain airlines that fly to Orly, but they go via Barcelona. You can get a non-stop coach (complete with attendant and meals) from Santiago to Barajas each day. The coaches even have Wi-Fi.

I hope this helps.
I'm with t2andreo. The most important part of starting the Camino is being rested and every time you have to make a connection there's always a chance of being late because of the last leg and waiting.
I'd add one more "solution" and that is flying from CDG to Pau, then taking the train from Pau to Bayonne. It eliminates the trip to Orly but, as happened in my case, make sure the SNCF isn't on strike that day!

@t2andreo

Your post on connections to St. Jean seems to indicate that you have actually made these connections more than once.
Did you find that the schedules were consistent and reliable?

How many times have you done this? Was it recent?

I've made the CDG/TGV trip twice to Bayonne, but once all the way to St. Jean. Once, last April, the TGV was delayed getting into Bayonne and the TER #62 was held specifically so the arriving passengers could make the connection to the six o'clock train.

Heading to other French destinations, I have also made the Les Cars de Air France shuttle transfer from Terminal 1 at CDG to both Orly Airport and Gare Montparnasse, once each. I also found that reliable. The coach every 30 minutes timing seemed correct, and I do not recall waiting more than that for the next coach to come along. I suggest the key is to build in enough transfer time between connections.

My most recent journey was last April. I currently plan to follow the same route again this April.

I hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey all,

Best,

Greg
I just go finished my first Camino in Nov. I would really suggest you fly into Paris. From the airport you can catch a train direct to St. Jean. It really shortens the trip. If you fly into Spain you will have to take buses and or taxi"s to reach the.beginning.of the trail.

Wow, I just copied and pasted all the travel options! Now when my brain is fresh, I'll make a cuppa, and make some decisions on my May Camino. starting SJPDP. Prob. will fly in, last days of April. This last post from "djkernes" sounds simplest.
My new "Pilgrims Guide to..." arrived tonight. My well used boots are in the post from Canada, Pacer Poles in the post, from UK. I sure wish I could watch the Film "The Way" again. Can't stream it, or buy it, in India, our library doesn't have it. What else is possible?

We are two Irish women, arriving into Biarritz Sunday 25th May 2014 @15.30.
Realise now that, being Sunday, we miss the early TER62 train to SJPP + late train is too late.
Accom is booked in SJPP + Orisson, so we must get to SJPP Sunday afternoon.
Does anyone know if there is a bus OR best way to arrange a taxi-share. Thx a mill'....

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We are two Irish women, arriving into Biarritz Sunday 25th May 2014 @15.30.
Realise now that, being Sunday, we miss the early TER62 train to SJPP + late train is too late.
Accom is booked in SJPP + Orisson, so we must get to SJPP Sunday afternoon.
Does anyone know if there is a bus OR best way to arrange a taxi-share. Thx a mill'....

Here is the Taxi Share Thread:

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/taxi-share-thread-biarritz-sjpp.17935/

Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back