• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel - train Bayonne to SJPD

jostony

Camino del Vino
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Portugues 2017
Primitivo 2019
What is the best way to travel to SJPD from Biarritz as I am a bit confused on the train service to SJPD from Bayonne. Is this currently a direct service? And can anyone please point me to best website to get the train timetables? Reading the forum over last few months and recent comments there seems to have been a problem with the railway track following a landslide? Is the railway line now repaired with trains now or soon will be running direct?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The train is direct from Bayonne to SJPdP. There has been long term work on the track bed, so a bus is sometimes substituted. Right now, the train goes to Cambo les Bains where passengers are transferred to a bus.

Hi jostony,

The train/bus is a simple option depending on when you arrive in Biarritz. Easy to catch city bus on sidewalk right in front of airport, 1.20 euro, 20 minute ride to Bayonne train station, maybe now 11 euro for train/bus to SJPdP. Again, depends when you arrive and maybe what plans you have for the next day such as starting your walk or relaxing in SJPdP. At what time of year will you walk? Might be easier to give you a better idea of train schedule.

Cheers,
Simeon

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Chill out my friend, the SNCF will get you there. Let me know when you are in Biarritz and I 'll share a cup of vino with you.

The train is direct from Bayonne to SJPdP. There has been long term work on the track bed, so a bus is sometimes substituted. Right now, the train goes to Cambo les Bains where passengers are transferred to a bus.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi jostony,

The train/bus is a simple option depending on when you arrive in Biarritz. Easy to catch city bus on sidewalk right in front of airport, 1.20 euro, 20 minute ride to Bayonne train station, maybe now 11 euro for train/bus to SJPdP. Again, depends when you arrive and maybe what plans you have for the next day such as starting your walk or relaxing in SJPdP. At what time of year will you walk? Might be easier to give you a better idea of train schedule.

Cheers,
Simeon

Thanks for reply. Staying overnight in Biarrtz so no major rush that day. Will travel up to SJPdP next day. From other replies seems train is straightforward with bus laid on if train track under repair.

What is the best way to travel to SJPD from Biarritz as I am a bit confused on the train service to SJPD from Bayonne. Is this currently a direct service? And can anyone please point me to best website to get the train timetables? Reading the forum over last few months and recent comments there seems to have been a problem with the railway track following a landslide? Is the railway line now repaired with trains now or soon will be running direct?
look on sncf website for train times,they have an english site and an original french site.You can book your tickets without hassle on line.

look on sncf website for train times,they have an english site and an original french site.You can book your tickets without hassle on line.

That's helpful thanks. Just checked SNCF website and seems like train service still requires a bus from change at Cambo Les Bains for remaining journey to SJPdP

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That's helpful thanks. Just checked SNCF website and seems like train service still requires a bus from change at Cambo Les Bains for remaining journey to SJPdP

It does indeed and probably shall until much later in the future! The bus will be in use at least until 4 July 2015. However the ticket you get for the train also includes the bus; the same fee covers both transports.

Last edited:
Hy , i travel by train at the 17th. of April from Holland , i have to take the bus from Cambo les Bains.Thats no problem. Wish you a Buen Camino .

Not a big deal. The Cambo-les-bains station is a little building. The parking lot is at the other side, it is quite evident.
You will enjoy your travel in this picturesque Basque country.
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It does indeed and probably shall until much later in the future! The bus will be in use at least until 4 July 2015. However the ticket you get for the train also includes the bus; the same fee covers both transports.
Good to know thanks

Not a big deal. The Cambo-les-bains station is a little building. The parking lot is at the other side, it is quite evident.
You will enjoy your travel in this picturesque Basque country.
Buen camino!
Gracias

Hi,
I arrive at Bayonne 12:32pm on 28/02/15 on TGV and want to train to SJPP next train.

Think it's 2 hour wait? Can someone confirm as tried looking up and in Australia gets blocked.

Cheers

Hi,
I arrive at Bayonne 12:32pm on 28/02/15 on TGV and want to train to SJPP next train.

Think it's 2 hour wait? Can someone confirm as tried looking up and in Australia gets blocked.

Cheers

There is a train at 14:55. It will take you to Cambio les Bains to change to an autorcar or bus. The ticket you purchase in Bayonne at the rr station will cover both transports. You should arrive in SJPdP at 16:08.

MM

Last edited:
There is an autocar ie a bus, which replaces the train at 14:55. Buy your ticket for this bus in the Bayonne train station.

MM
That's brilliant. I'll try learn some French to help buy the ticket.

Aim to arrive, ask directions to Camino Office, register before they shut then get accommodation 28th then leave first thing on 1st :)

Thank you for bus info. Any other suggestions?

Glenn

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Glenn,

Please read my edited post directly above. You will start with a train and end with a bus. No need to worry about asking in French since the staff of the railroad station in Bayonne where you purchase your ticket are VERY helpful and usually bi-lingual.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Glenn,

Please read my edited post directly above. You will start with a train and end with a bus. No need to worry about asking in French since the staff of the railroad station in Bayonne where you purchase your ticket are VERY helpful and usually bi-lingual.

Bon voyage and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thank you MM,

Is it far from where I will arrive at SJPDP to the Camino office?

You've been amazing thanks in advance.

Glenn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You will start with a train and end with a bus.
If you want to look like you know what you are doing, composte your ticket before boarding the train. There are machines on the platforms for doing this. It is a requirement on French trains, and a failure to do so can result in a fine. However, with all the foreign pilgrims in Bayonne, there may be more violations there than in all the rest of France, so conductors are pretty tolerant. There is nothing like a backpack, no French, and a silly grin to satisfy a rules-bound French authority. The composte is supposed to keep travelers from using their ticket more than once.

After the ad, here is how (in French, but you get to see the machine):

http://video.divers-vie-pratique.commentkonfait.com/video/comment-composter-billet-train-sncf/1302

Here is the link to the train timetable

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Am I correct in assuming the ticket stamping is the same set up as the public transport trains/trams in German cities? Basicly, you stamp as you prepare to board (or sometimes just after boarding) on the honor system, with the occasional conductor coming by to verify tickets?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would a Peregrino find the reassuring yellow arrows to guide their footsteps on La Voie de la Nive?

If you want to look like you know what you are doing, composte your ticket before boarding the train. There are machines on the platforms for doing this. It is a requirement on French trains, and a failure to do so can result in a fine. However, with all the foreign pilgrims in Bayonne, there may be more violations there than in all the rest of France, so conductors are pretty tolerant. There is nothing like a backpack, no French, and a silly grin to satisfy a rules-bound French authority. The composte is supposed to keep travelers from using their ticket more than once.

After the ad, here is how (in French, but you get to see the machine):

http://video.divers-vie-pratique.commentkonfait.com/video/comment-composter-billet-train-sncf/1302

If I buy my ticket online and print it at home, would I still "composte" my printed paper ticket in this machine?

If I buy my ticket online and print it at home, would I still "composte" my printed paper ticket in this machine?

No, there is no need to composter an e or i ticket. However DO be prepared to show your national passport when your ticket is checked by a conductor. The name on the ticket and passport should be the same.
Bon voyage and Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back