• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travel With or Purchase on Arrival

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Recently purchased a set of Black Diamond Trail Pro Trekking Poles.

Much reading here tells me that it is not likely that I will be able to fly to and fro my Camino with these unless I check them. I am hoping I can check my Gregory Zulu 4oL.

That being assumed, ought I return these and purchase a set when I arrive to avoid their possible loss in checked baggage?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I had no problem flying with them here in the states. On the trip home I checked my pole as luggage in the original mesh bag that they came in and they arrived here with no problem. If they collapse and you are already checking your pack then I would just put them inside or strap them to the outside and check them as one item.

Mike

That being assumed, ought I return these and purchase a set when I arrive to avoid their possible loss in checked baggage?
I don't quite understand the logic. You said you are hoping to check your backpack. (Maybe you meant you were hoping to carry it on!) If you checked your bag and your poles, all your belongings would be together, so why would you defer buying just the poles? What about the other stuff?

Anyway, the only likely problem (and it is still not "likely" to happen) is that a checked bag would be delayed by a day. If your schedule isn't tight, then you can happily check whatever you want.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Much reading here tells me that it is not likely that I will be able to fly to and fro my Camino with these unless I check them. I am hoping I can check my Gregory Zulu 4oL.

We travelled two weeks ago checking my hubby's larger pack, with two sets of poles inside, and then carried on my smaller pack for the long planes flights. Had only 90 min. in Madrid before we flew on to Santiago, and absolutely no luggage problems going or coming home.

Collapse the poles to the maximum extent possible. Consider taking the segments apart if possible, to further reduce their overall length. My Leki poles are about 3-inches shorter when I take the telescoping segments apart and rubber band them together. They should fit inside your rucksack.

If they do not fit inside the rucksack, fasten them to the side of the pack using the available lashing / compression straps and side pockets. Wrap paper towel or something else (a Camino clothing item) around the ends that are in the mesh stretch pocket so as not to puncture it during handling. The airline baggage system can be rough on all luggage.

Place the rucksack in a cheap nylon laundry bag. I buy mine in the local dollar store, I actually paid USD one dollar for a fine mesh nylon bag that does not snag on the luggage handling system, and weighs almost nothing, literally. I recommend buying the loudest, brightest color you can find, so identifying your bag in a baggage area will not be a problem, and no one would think of trying to walk off with a so easily identifiable bag.

Tie the laundry bag securely shut, with a destination luggage tag affixed, telling the airline who you are and where you are staying your first night. I have the practice of staying in rented lodgings for one or two nights on arrival anywhere, before I start a Camino. Place a copy of the destination tag attached to the rucksack, inside the laundry bag. If you and the bag are separated, you want the bag and rucksack to get to where you will BE for the next night or two, not where you came FROM.

Just check the bag. I have done this on my past four Camino trips from the US to airports at Brussels, Paris and Madrid. It works just fine. Even if you have to pay to check the bag, the cost is far cheaper than if you tried to by the same or similar hiking poles in Europe.

On arrival, the laundry bag can be used as a rucksack liner, laundry bag, trash collection bag for along the Camino (if you are so inclined to give back), a lower leg and foot cover for sleeping in a cold albergue in chilly weather if you do not have a sleeping bag, and to contain your rucksack and poles on your return journey.

I hope this helps.

L

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.