• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelblog

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Buen camino Albertinho how is the weather for you, we are going to follow you very soon.

Buen camino Albertinho how is the weather for you, we are going to follow you very soon.
The weather is so and so! Here in Valdoviño north of Ferrol (17 kms) now it it sunny and cloudy but this morning it rained slightly. Tomorrow they predict 10% of light rain. The coming days look good. We will start tomorrow morning in Ferrol. It is a nice area to walk through as we have seen yesterday !ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1399469127.653174.jpg
The camping we are on now , a second ago

We are curious about experiences of others about the albergues.
We had a look at the Pontedeume albergue yesterday and found out they first open at 17h 00
About 13h00 there were some Spanish pilgrims waiting ,soaked from the rain but were not let in even not to park their backpacks
Does anybody know there are similar regulations at the other albergues en route ?

The taxi service at bar Julia works find. We met a group of 14 pilgrims there and they all were picked up to go to a monastery/ hotel. Can't find where that is.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks for the reply Buen camino Albertinho for your start tomorrow :)

Today we started in Ferrol and had a nice day rounding the bay from Ferrol tonNeda.
It is a pleasant path, partly through the urban area but also feeling "in the countryside" when you follow the path along the bay.
It's is an easy walk ,well waymarked. In Ferrol are some roadworks but if you keep following the waterside in mind there are no problems to be expected.
We came as far as Neda where is a nice albergue just over a double hooped bridge. (Yellow building at your right as your have passed the bridge,
Going back over the bridge. There is a church where we got a nice stamp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 24
Today was a nice and moderate walk from Neda to Pontedeume
From the albergue it is almost a 2 km walk to the urbanisation of Neda where you find a café bar and a bakery shop for fresh baked bread. From there is a nice slightly climbing walk to Fene where are some bars on the route for coffee and a stamp.
After Fene you arive climbing into an off road trek most of the time and you decsend just before Cabanas.
In Cabanas we found a nice restaurant, YELLOW, for a nice menu del dia.
After a walk of about 2 kms from there you enter into Pontedeume ,after the bridge turn right and keep right and after 200 meters you'll find the albergue. Mind it opens at 17h00 and you have to call the hospitalero
We are there now but it is not cleaned very well. A bit filthy.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Now following you closely, Albertinho! I think I'll be about twelve days behind you!
Keep walking - and enjoy every minute of it!
Blessings from Suffolk, where we currently have thunder & lightning!
Stephen.

Today Pontedeume to Miño . In Pontedeume starts a steep acsending so be prepared.
Once on top you walk through a nice countryside, partly tarmac but also nice treks through eucalips woods.
Be prepared on a lot of climbing and descending the hills all the way.
In Miño is an albergue, run by the council. Arriving there you have to phone a number and somebody comes to you for the payment of 6 € and the stamp.
In Miño are several restaurants. Nice place to visit

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I also enjoy walking through the eucalyptus woods, Albertinho - as I did many times on the Lisbon to Porto camino.
Today in Sunday - I received a Medieval Blessing from the church this morning, blessing me, my walking pole and back-pack :)
Off on Wednesday morning ..... keep that sun shining for me!
Buen camino, amigos ....

Today it was a nice walk from Miño to Betanzos. Some serious climbing and decending . Some trekking but most on tarmac.
Betanzos has a beautiful albergue. Just next to to ayuntamiento. In the center of the medieval center.

Today it was a nice walk from Miño to Betanzos. Some serious climbing and decending . Some trekking but most on tarmac.
Betanzos has a beautiful albergue. Just next to to ayuntamiento. In the center of the medieval center.
It's very exiting to read about your walk, we will start from Ferrol at the end of May. I hope the climbing is not too serious! A question: When is it light in the morning? About 7? Perhaps no need for reflekive vest?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The daylight starts before 7h00 now
Untill now (and we walked the caminho Portuges last year where we wore our safety vests allmost everyday) we did not use them until now and we are halfway on the camino Ingles. Twice we crossed a mainroad only.
The hills are quit challenging, I tell you ! Today will be the worst between Betanzos and Hospital de Bruma.
Buen camino

It's very exiting to read about your walk, we will start from Ferrol at the end of May. I hope the climbing is not too serious! A question: When is it light in the morning? About 7? Perhaps no need for reflekive vest?
Expect there to be some climbing every day, depending on whether you stop at Neda or go further on the first day. I recorded a total of just over 2800m of climb across the five days it took me to walk from Ferrol to Santiago. The day from Bentanzos to Bruma had the most overall climb, about 925m. There is a pretty tough section just over 18km from Bentanzos where there is a 230m climb over about 2.2km, but it is not the only section that steep, just the longest. I didn't rush these, preferring to take short steps and plod along gently to make the climb.

Sunrise at SDC at the end of May will be around 7.00am, with walking twilight about an hour or so earlier. I didn't wear a reflective vest, but I did have reflective tabs on my rain jacket, which I wore for an hour or so every morning to keep warm until the sun was properly up.

Regards,

Today was a tuogh day, climbing ,climbing climbing.. It starts allready in Betanzos . The camino goes on about 60% tarmac and the rest is trekking off road. Prepare yourself to buy some foodand drinks because untill bar Julia (about 18 kilometers from Betanzos are no services at all.After bar Julia you climb up the steepest part of the camino Ingles; for about 10 kilometers more. At bar Julia you can call a taxi who brings you uphill to the albergue in Bruma and eventually a taxi brings you back down the next morning so you can wal up without backpack.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also enjoy walking through the eucalyptus woods, Albertinho - as I did many times on the Lisbon to Porto camino.
Today in Sunday - I received a Medieval Blessing from the church this morning, blessing me, my walking pole and back-pack :)
Off on Wednesday morning ..... keep that sun shining for me!
Buen camino, amigos ....
Till when are you in Santiago Stephan ?

Tomorrow we go to Ordes and wednesday we go to sigueiro so expect to be in Santiago next Thursday.
(A beer ?)

Thank you, Albertinho and Dougfitz, for the "warnings". I live among steep mountains in Norway and are used to walking uphill, so I hope I will manage:). What is more exciting is the danger of strike in our airline company the next week.. That will create problems!

Albertinho, I will be in the pilgrims office on Thursday (my last day). Hope to see you! And don't miss the Huiskamer de Lage Landen (I'm sure I've butchered that), a nice little space upstairs at the pilgrims office. Sponsored by the Dutch pilgrims association, the huiskamer (living room) is staffed by two Dutch pilgrims, and always has coffee and cookies while you sit and chat. Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Laurie. Till what time you are there next thursday ? We come from Sigueiro so will arrive in the afternoon

The Huiskamer we know. We were here last year to although by then they were at a different place.we definitely will see them. Let me know please if you are there. Unfortunately I did not bring any pasteis de nata. :)

Thank you, Albertinho and Dougfitz, for the "warnings". I live among steep mountains in Norway and are used to walking uphill, so I hope I will manage:). What is more exciting is the danger of strike in our airline company the next week.. That will create problems!
Heya Norge :) we will come to your beautiful country in august next We make a cruise from our hometown Rotterdam to the north cape and back. Advice. Fly KLM. They do'nt strike

Till lycket och godt tur !

Till when are you in Santiago Stephan ? Tomorrow we go to Ordes and wednesday we go to sigueiro so expect to be in Santiago next Thursday.
(A beer ?)
I am in Santiago with my brother Wednesday and Thursday.
I simply HAVE to visit the pilgrim office sometime on Thursday, to hug Laurie :rolleyes:
Then on Friday, I take the bus to A Coruna and start walking ....
Maybe our paths will cross, Albertinho!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So we can meet on thursday
We are there too to hug Laurie and we can drink a beer on your "pantyliners" you have your cellphone with you so I can send you a message when we arrive ?

Today we did a short trek from O Meson do Vento to Ordes (both places are not on the camino but have hostals to sleep) the walk is pleasant and going downwards. A lot of tarmac . Because you leave the camino for about 3 kilometers you walk alongside the road so this is the first time I wore the safety vest.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 10
Good to read about your experiences here. We would have been starting in Ferrol on the 17th but will have to wait for 2015 and think about dates later in the year.
Buen Camino to you all.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
http://camino-ingles.reismee.nl. I update my blog everyday. Below the Dutch text is short english text. Sorry for some grammatical errors. There are also some pictures everyday. Click on "foto's "
If you like to receive the blog in your mailbox just sign in. There is a open box you can fill in your enailaddress and after that click on "opslaan" which means as much as send

Good to read about your experiences here. We would have been starting in Ferrol on the 17th but will have to wait for 2015 and think about dates later in the year.
Buen Camino to you all.
What a pity. We were looking forward to meet uncle Bob and drink a cold beer with him ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400014836.290935.jpg

The other night we were talking about you with a lady,named Estelle from Johannesburg who seemed to know you.
She will be in Santiago tomorrow .
Best regards from Ordes.
Albert and Nel from the Netherlands

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The trek of today is a hard one.
We slept off the camino in hotel Nogallas in Ordes so had to walk about 3 kms to pick up the camino around A Calle. A part of that walk is aside a busy road with no hard shoulder.ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400062648.045764.jpgso wear your safety vest .
Another thing. Top up your water and buy some food because untill SigĂĽeiro there are no services at all as long as you keep following the camino.the only thing about half way is a vending machine with high prices for a drink.

Some info about the places we slept

In Ferrol we did not sleep because our car and caravan is on a campingsite in Valdoviño north of FerrolImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400093713.591879.jpg
De first night we slept in the albergue of Neda. Nice place. Well equiped
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400093917.097532.jpg

The second night we slept in the albergue of Pontedeume. Opens at 17h00. Filthy place. Dirty toilets dirty floorsImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400093947.162816.jpg

The third night we slept in the albergue of Miño. Well equipedImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400094026.427482.jpg

The fourth night we slept in The albergue of Betanzos. Far the best of all, great place to be. Brand newImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400094155.335721.jpg

The fifth night we slept in hostal o Meson o Novo in O Meson do Vento
Nice place. Kind people. A bit off the camino but doable. If you are at bar Julia and you give them a phonecall, they pick you up by car , so you do not need to walk up the very steep hill Next morning they can bring you back to bar Julia and you can walk up without backpack and eventually stay another night with themImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400094451.980221.jpg

The sixth nigt we slept in Ordes in hotel Nogallas. Nice place but here again off camino so you touch the camino after about 4 kilometers the next morning.

The seventh night we stayed in SigĂĽeiro in Hostal Miras. Very basic but okay ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400094625.309548.jpg

Last year we stayed in Santiago in albergue la Salle. Very big but great. We had a nice room
Now we booked via the Iphone and Android app airbnb a privat room oposite the busstation

Buen camino

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400093611.691751.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1400093611.691751.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Today the last leg. As soon as you leave SigĂĽeiro you start climbing uphill for miles and miles ,most of the time at foresttracks..the first restaurant you'll find the last five kilometers before Santiago on an industrial estate.
From there it goes downhill into town. Laurie Reynolds known as peregrina2000 handed out our Compostellas. A great honour .

Later we drank a beer with Stephen Nicols who is walking the Ingles next week. See both pictures annexed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
We met Laurie Reynolds aka Peregrina2000 at this form and she handed over as being a volontairy at the pilgrimsoffice our Compostelas.
Pleased to meet you Laurie

Last edited:
Just read through this thread, having been away from internet access for the past couple of weeks. Nice one and interesting to compare experiences.

I completed the Ingles from Ferrol in Mid April and it was much tougher than I thought. All those hills after Pontedeume, mentioned above, take quite some doing. The weather was a little unkind too , being much colder than I had imagined with temperatures down to 5 degrees sometimes and a couple of really cold, wet days to test the spirit. But it was a great Camino on the whole. I think it is much harder compared to the last 100 kms of the Frances from Sarria, with a greater proportion of walking on concrete and more ups and downs (along with a long section with no bars).

I'll add a couple of my thoughts here too.

Day 0 - Asturias Airport to Ferrol (San Xoan station, near the Silva). I had been wanting to take this FEVE train for years and the journey didn't disappoint. Stunning scenery and a magnificent feat in engineering to construct that line.

Day 1 - Ferrol to Neda. Easy stage but not that interesting. The start is great though and I loved the English bus there as well as some fab early coffee bars. I had stayed in the hotel Silva and this was a superb choice as it was cheap, very friendly and upon check-in the lady there gave me a map of Ferrol with the Camino highlighted, a brochure on the Camino Ingles and they have passports there too! Curiously, the Camino does not go right by the cathedral, but it's a short detour and marked on the map. In Neda I stayed at the Hotel Kensington. Excellent hotel with a super bar / restaurant and great staff again. For me, this stage had a good start and finish, but quite a lot of road walking and industry.

Day 2 - Neda to Pontedueme. A lovely stage. Lots of interesting places to see and visit on the way and plenty of coffee stops. The hill in the later part climbs to 180 metres, which is a good indication of what's to come. Shame the churches are shut (as in the case of almost all of them on this Camino). Pontedeume is a lovely town with a beautiful church and tower and the beach area just before it was very relaxing too. I stayed in the Hotel Eumesa, which looks Stalinist from the outside, but the room was lovely. Be careful if using credit cards here though as I was charged 3 times for a meal and drinks and have just got the refund this week after contacting them twice. At least they were honest enough to refund me.

Day 3 - Pontedeume to Betanzos. A varied stage and getting tougher. Lots of ups and downs, but not so far at about 21 kms. Mino is a lovely place for early brunch / lunch and it is after here that the Camino really starts to get more challenging. The church a couple of kilometres before Betanzos is in a fabulous setting with lovely benches to rest on. Shame it was raining so much though. At this point a lot of soldiers came up the hill, one by one carrying big rifles and all wished me a Buen Camino - again one by one.! Betanzos is absolutely magnificent and aside from SDC, it was my favourite stop. Beautiful churches and all open (!) and an atmospheric, compact old quarter. I stayed in the Palacete and it is a nice building but it wasn't heated well and a bit noisy.

Day 4 - Betanzos to O Meson Do Vento. Penance for sins! Penance for sins! This was a really really tough stage and it felt harder than any stage I had walked on the Frances (and some of them were over 40 kms). Leaving Betanzos is a climb and then it's up, down, up down all day. It started raining very heavily after about 16 kms and I sheltered in a great covered area for about 2 hours. My backpack was heavy too today as I was carrying lots of food. I was desperately craving a coffee by the time I got to Bar Julia but it was closed!. After that it was head down in the rain and then hail, and plod plod plod all the way to the Pension. Phew what a day! Well worth thinking about that taxi to break up this stage, but when I start a Camino, being very pig-headed, I refuse to set foot in a motorised vehicle, even just to break a stage. I stayed at the Pension O Meson Novo and it really is a fabulous choice. Lovely people who run it and a very comfy room and decent bar. Much needed after this stage.

Day 5 - O Meson Do Vento to Hotel San Vicente. On paper a moderate stage but the day I walked it, it turned out to be very tough. Nice easy walking for the most part and direct. Siguero looked an interesting little town with a relaxing park. The weather was wet all day but after Siguero it turned very cold with driving rain. This was also the muddiest part of the Camino. By the time I got to San Vicente I was totally bushed. Great food at the hotel, very friendly staff and a nice enough room but no heating at all when the temperature outside was just 9 degrees. So at 50 Euros a night, I couldn't recommend it on a cold day. I couldn't get warm and was shivering for hours before finally realising I had a bath and hot water (I'm used to just showers) so filled it right up and spent 2 hours in there. Best to stop at Siguero methinks.

Day 6 - Hotel San Vicente to SDC. Easy rambling. Still quite a few ups and downs, but a short distance and knowing that SDC is so near makes the spirit soar. Waymarking seemed to disappear in the middle of the industrial estate, but the route is pretty obvious anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi guys! Got back yesterday. 100+ e-mails to sort out and 700 photo's to process!
Lovely camino .... and NO BLISTERS thanks to Panty Liners :)
Will be writing up the diary later.
Great to meet you and Nel and all the guys in the Oficina de Peregrinos .....
Ultreya!

Stephen.

GREAT Stephen!

Glad to learn that it all went well.
Looking forward to all those pictures
as well as your day by day account!

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi guys! Got back yesterday. 100+ e-mails to sort out and 700 photo's to process!
Lovely camino .... and NO BLISTERS thanks to Panty Liners :)
Will be writing up the diary later.
Great to meet you and Nel and all the guys in the Oficina de Peregrinos .....
Ultreya!

Stephen.
Great to read everything went okay and NO blisters. What a great idea these panty liners :)

We went on in the mean time. Explored a part of the caminho Portuges da Costa for next year.
Travelled through almost all of Portugal, are now in Spain (today and tomorrow in Sevilla) and travel saturday next to Salamanca.
Looking forward to your diary
Un saludo
Albert andNel

Hi Albert thanks for the blog I enjoyed reading it.

Can you tell me if the Alburgue at Betanzos provides blankets or would you really need to bring a sleeping blanket?

Hi Albert thanks for the blog I enjoyed reading it.

Can you tell me if the Alburgue at Betanzos provides blankets or would you really need to bring a sleeping blanket?
I just read now your message. We are still traveling :). Now in France on the île d'Oléron southwest of Bordeaux for aweek. Being home end of next week after a long journey. We were even in Saint Jean Pied de Port watching the pilgrims start the camino Frances.

Well in Betanzos are no blankets . We have a sleepingliner and wore our fleecevests during the night. At the other addresses (exept the albergue in Bruma -we were not there) there were blankets.
Buen camino

€149,-
In case you decide to use different stages for your Camino:- We stayed in Mino and didn't see any blankets there, we used our sleeping bags.

In case you decide to use different stages for your Camino:- We stayed in Mino and didn't see any blankets there, we used our sleeping bags.
Tia , was Miño the green building outside the town ? (We were at so many places !) if so there were blankets when we were there !ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1403104177.912777.jpg they were however very filthy so we were laying in our silk sleepingliners and laid the blankets half way over our (tired:) bodies.

Last edited:
Tia , was Miño the green building outside the town ? (We were at so many places !) if so there were blankets when we were there ! they were however very filthy so we were laying in our silk sleepingliners and laid the blankets half way over our (tired:) bodies.
Yes this was where I meant. When we were there we were given disposable sheet and pillowcase each. The albergue was lovely, still fairly new I think (2011). However we didn't see any blankets and the kitchen had no utensils. A beautiful view from the window. We were in the dormitory where you can see the chairs in your photo.

€46,-
Yes this was where I meant. When we were there we were given disposable sheet and pillowcase each. The albergue was lovely, still fairly new I think (2011). However we didn't see any blankets and the kitchen had no utensils. A beautiful view from the window. We were in the dormitory where you can see the chairs in your photo.
I thought it was. We got the disposable sheet and pillowcase too. We were in the room with the window open next to yours.we were the only ones there by then and we could not lock up the door so were a bit frightened that somebody with bad intentions should come in .so we barricated the main door and the bedroomdoor with the chairs you mentioned. Nothing happened but we did not sleep quietly. .

When we arrived we were first there, but another couple came and then a group of young pilgrims. The other couple came into our room and all the youngsters filled the other. They were so quiet and thoughtful - they were going out for an evening meal as the rest of us went to bed, and we never heard a thing when they came back. Saw them briefly next morning - the other couple had crept out as it got light. The most disturbing thing we had was a mosquito, and it didn't live long as it made the mistake of landing on me.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back