• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Travelcompanion? weather in january?

lillrock

Hi!

Do anyone have experience with walking the camino (french route) in January? Will there be open places along the route to sleep? And what about the weather?

Thinking to start 2nd or 3rd of january. Anyone else walking at the same time? I'm planning to walk alone, but since it is winter and all it might be wise to walk with someone, at least for parts of it. Might be nice with some company too:) So anyone who needs a companion?
cheers
Ragnhild

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, and how many days should i plan for spending? i've seen that 30 is normal, would that also be a good estimate for january?

Hi Lillrock,
January is a good time to walk the Camino, as you will avoid the Crowd, but you still find couple of people to walk with!

The weather will be chilly and can be snowy at
- Roncesvalles pass
- Montes of Leon
- O'ceibreiro
so be aware of that and make sure you have appropriate equipment.

Most of the refuges will be still open, (and even if close you will find small private pensions, so you will never be stuck) but nights can be cold so bring comfy warm sleeping gear.

If you need more information, have a look at http://www.followthecamino.com. You will find detail of the walks, temperature, rainfall, gradients...

Good Luck
Pepe

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Yesterday Roncesvalles

Photo.- Diario de Navarra.-

2008112423175740_640.jpg

Nice photo, Javier,
It looks like Roncesvalles is getting dressed for Christmas!

Buen Camino,

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'll bet the meseta is beautiful in snow! The white in stark contrast to the azure sky and the red of the houses! Plus being blanketed in white for as far as the eye can see.... C'mon, Reb, get out the camera and let's have a look! Although to be honest, even though I have read all the directions, I can't seem to load any photos on this forum site! :oops: So if it doesn't work, I understand....But I'm sure that Navarra isn't better or worse than Palencia, just different! Happy Thanksgiving,

Same answer than for walking in december.

All albergues open with free beds, ask for closed to avoid them and to find other options.

This year I walked in Foncebadon in february and I didn´t find snow, but I got lucky.

Don't forget the darkness time, around the 6:00.

Javier, nice photo, gracias.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.