• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Traveled to Spain from USA (preferably West Coast) recently (late 2021)?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
Has anyone here from the West Coast traveled to Spain recently? (Preferably Oregon)

I understand I need a COVID test before flying.
Do I need to buy home tests or go to a facility for testing?

If I need to buy tests:
Can somebody walk me through the steps in getting the Rapid Antigen Test and using it.
Can I buy it now and use it in April?
Where do I buy it?

If I need to go somewhere to get my test:
How do I find a place near me?
How many days/hours before my flight must I go get tested?

Suddenly, I'm feeling very overwhelmed about all this and have a trip planned for April.
I guess maybe I've avoided reading threads about it because it DOES feel overwhelming to me.

Help?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Antigen tests one buys over the counter will not qualify for a flight unless the kit includes an affilation with a lab to verify your results online. Once the test is verified by a tech on line, they will send you a QR code which you will then upload to Your flight requirement data on line. The airlines were selling them for circa $150 for 6 antigen tests….I think up to 4 in a family could use it.

However, I would not invest right now…and .worrying about where to get an antigen test for a trip in April. I am flying in April too. Testing requirements could change by then? Some countries require a PCR test to enter. Who knows what The situation will be by then…things are pretty fluid right now. There is even some data which questions the efficacy of the antigen tests. So I would hold off for now.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We flew to Spain, Madrid, from the US in mid December. No Covid test was required then, I don't know if the rules have changed since then. The procedure was relatively painless -- we used the Spanish site for travel permits (the airline sent us the link) loaded up our vaccination cards and where we would be staying for the first few days and received a QR code for each of us.

If you are going the France, we should have needed a test and the procedure seemed much less clear, but were only passing through CDG for a few hours and so we didn't have to worry about it.

There are many small testing labs in Madrid. Our group took a taxi from the train to one of them on the way to our overnight hotel near the airport. 15 minute test, printed affirmation, and off to the hotel. Easy peesy.
You can google the location when you get closer to your trip.

We flew to Spain, Madrid, from the US in mid December. No Covid test was required then, I don't know if the rules have changed since then. The procedure was relatively painless -- we used the Spanish site for travel permits (the airline sent us the link) loaded up our vaccination cards and where we would be staying for the first few days and received a QR code for each of us.

If you are going the France, we should have needed a test and the procedure seemed much less clear, but were only passing through CDG for a few hours and so we didn't have to worry about it.
I don’t think anyone knows what might be required to enter Spain by April at this point. So, I have put entrance requirements to Spain, and then, returning to the USA on the back burner till March.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Has anyone here from the West Coast traveled to Spain recently? (Preferably Oregon)

If I need to buy tests:
Can somebody walk me through the steps in getting the Rapid Antigen Test and using it.
Where do I buy it?

Suddenly, I'm feeling very overwhelmed about all this and have a trip planned for April.
I guess maybe I've avoided reading threads about it because it DOES feel overwhelming to me.

Help?
Following this thread. Good questions!

I am planning the same trip in April. Flying Delta. Arriving in CDG for a few hours before I catch another flight on AirFrance to Biarritz.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to make it clear: You are vaccinated with a completed vaccination program (at least that is what I assume). You fly from the USA. You fly to Spain.

If so: You do not need any pre-flight Covid-19 tests.

As others have said, nobody knows what Spain's entry conditions will be like in April 2022. Despite of this uncertainty, there is no harm in finding out what it would be like if you flew right now. In your specific case, Covid-19 testing requirements concern only your return flight to the USA but not your flight to Spain.

Spain updates their Covid-19 entry conditions every week and publishes lists with specific details for travellers from all countries of the world on their website. For many months, there has been next to no change for vaccinated travellers on flights from the USA to Spain.

You will need to learn what’s required much closer to the time of your trip. Start to monitor possibly 3-4 weeks before the trip. Be sure to book a refundable flight, or one that can be rescheduled for no cost. Depending on the volatility of the situation, you need to check your official sources every day as time gets closer because Covid requirements can change quickly.

If Covid is still a thing, get medical insurance that gives Covid coverage. I used World Nomads.

We went to France in September, and yes it was stressful. I checked and rechecked the government sites and airlines to be sure I had accurate info re affidavits, passes and tests. Once we arrived, it was wonderful.

I flew from Oregon to Spain in late September - same process as all others have outlined... upload your vaccination record via the Spanish Health app - very easy and I breezed right through once I landed in Madrid. I did take a COVID test out at PDX right before flying - not because I needed to but because I wanted to be sure I was COVID free before entering (and burdening) another country. We don't know what April will hold but the embassy and US state department are good resources.

Returning in late October after doing the CF - I took a COVID test near my hotel near the Plaza del Sol... in Madrid. Easy peasy as others have described. The Spanish could not have been more efficient or kind in helping me get back home.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you transit through another country on your way to Spain, you need to understand what requirements are needed to transfer through that country. With Covid, it’s worth extra cost to me to avoid transfer through other countries. Portland will have direct flights to Spain. If necessary to go non-direct, with today’s refs, I’d choose a USA hub to transfer through.

If you transit through another country on your way to Spain, you need to understand what requirements are needed to transfer through that country. With Covid, it’s worth extra cost to me to avoid transfer through other countries. Portland will have direct flights to Spain. If necessary to go non-direct, with today’s refs, I’d choose a USA hub to transfer through.
Frida - I transferred through Amsterdam Schipol in late September, 2021 and had no issues - did not need to show my vaccination status nor a COVID test - I found trying to transfer in the USA cost prohibitive. Maybe there are more direct flights from a US city to Madrid or Barcelona than were there in September but if anything - flight options are narrowing not increasing. I would thoroughly investigate what you need to transfer in other countries before closing that option.

Portland has only seasonal direct flights to Europe - Amsterdam, Franfurt and London. We have never had a direct flight to France or Spain.

Amy, I agree that transfer through some countries might be easy. You still need to research, and moving targets regulation-wise are stressful. We purchased our flight without knowing that the transfer country-even though we just sat in the airport for an hour and a half-required a test and affidavit. Getting a timely test cost $150. We did not even need the test for our final destination, so the transfer through that country cost two of us an extra $300.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good point. I transited through London Heathrow from Washington Dulles in September 2021, and the UK required a negative test even for in-transit passengers. It was not necessary for Spain (proof of vaccination was sufficient), so it would have been easier if I had made a connection to a direct US to Spain flight from another US city. The test requirement was lifted by the UK in November, but as conditions change it could be easily reinstated if it hasn't already.

As others have said, it's best to keep an eye on Spanish and in-transit countries' requirements in the weeks leading up to your departure.

I traveled to Spain in Sept. no test required to enter, just QR code. To return! I took a rapid antigen test at a lab for €40 and had results back in 45 minutes. They asked what language I needed the results in and where I was traveling. Make sure your results have your name, type of test, results, and date/time of test. My hotel was able to recommend multiple test sites within walking distance.

I flew from Oregon to Spain in late September - same process as all others have outlined... upload your vaccination record via the Spanish Health app - very easy and I breezed right through once I landed in Madrid. I did take a COVID test out at PDX right before flying - not because I needed to but because I wanted to be sure I was COVID free before entering (and burdening) another country. We don't know what April will hold but the embassy and US state department are good resources.

Returning in late October after doing the CF - I took a COVID test near my hotel near the Plaza del Sol... in Madrid. Easy peasy as others have described. The Spanish could not have been more efficient or kind in helping me get back home.
Did you get your test at Portland Airport? (PDX)?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's the Spanish government tourism site which is updated with requirements for entry by country.

Hi Annie, maybe relax until you get closer to your April departure - so much can change between now and then. In late Sept, I flew from Seattle to Madrid via London - had a 2 hour layover in London - stayed Airside - didn't need to exit security or immigration at Heathrow. In addition to docs on my phone, I had paper documents that were appreciated by the authorities who checked me in. I found the Spanish gov't tourism site the best!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Here's an article about using at home test kits for travel. Note - as @Marbe2 mentioned, the kits that you can buy at the local pharmacy are not acceptable, as they don't have the required telehealth component.

An FYI rearding one of the antigen tests in the article.

Reason for Recall
Ellume is recalling certain lots of the COVID-19 Home Test because they have higher-than-acceptable false positive test results for SARS-CoV-2. The reliability of negative test results is not affected.Nov 16, 2021

In early November I flew from San Francisco to Lisbon via Heathrow. I then took a train and bus to Seville.

To prepare for departure:
  • Took a PCR test at the drive through window at a local CVS less than 48 hours before my initial departure. My insurance covered the entire cost.
  • Filled out "Passenger Locator Forms" for both Great Britain and Portugal
  • I then submitted four forms to British Airways to be able to online board. The forms were (i) a clean PCR result, (ii) GB Passenger Locator form, (iii) Portugal Passenger Locator form, and (iv) my vaccination card.
It took a while to get all this done.

Crossing back and forth between Spain and Portugal by ALSA bus may have required the presentation of my vaccine card upon ticket purchase.

Upon return in December I had to basically do the same again except that I only needed a rapid test instead of a PCR test, I only needed a GB Passenger Locator form, and I had to submit everything with a phone app called "VeriFly". All of this was easier but it still took a while to online board. It also cost 30 Euros for the rapid test.

There are testing facilities all over Spain and Portugal, usually in outdoor trailers. The rapid tests cost about 30 euros and the PCR tests cost 80 Euros. Self tests can be purchased in grocery stores and pharmacies for 1.75 to 3.00 Euros.

I imagine that this will all change one way or another in the future.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Flew from California in September (fully vax’d). Pre-tested for FREE at our local airport but had other FREE testing options available to us at various municipal offices as well as our healthcare provider (Kaiser). You will need an administered test or telehealth-monitored at-home test to generate the required documentation for travel.

During our three months of travel (Spain, Portugal, France, Scotland, England), the Covid rules changed dramatically, both looser and tighter. You definitely cannot plan now for a trip in April as both Spain’ and the US rules will change, as will availability for testing.

In early November I flew from San Francisco to Lisbon via Heathrow. I then took a train and bus to Seville. To prepare for departure:
  • Took a PCR test at the drive through window at a local CVS less than 48 hours before my initial departure. My insurance covered the entire cost.
  • Filled out "Passenger Locator Forms" for both Great Briton and Portugal
  • I then submitted four forms to British Airways to be able to online board. The forms were (i) a clean PCR result, (ii) GB Passenger Locator form, (iii) Portugal Passenger Locator form, and (iv) my vaccination card.
Just as a reminder: Unlike Portugal, France and Great Britain, Spain has been very consistent as to Covid-19 travel restrictions for Americans who fly from the USA directly to Spain: No pre-flight or post flight test requirements when you enter Spain at an international Spanish airport! I've closely followed developments throughout 2021 and I am probably more familiar with Spanish travel restrictions than with those of any other European country. Here's a summary for US-only passport holders who live in the USA and fly directly to Spain:
  • From about July to September 2021 - no entry restrictions at all for US travellers!
  • Since about October 2021 until (currently) 31 January 2022 - only requirement: US travellers must have completed their vaccination program and have proof of it!
USA travellers must enter their data into the SpTH form (on website or in app) and upload their CDC vaccination card. That's all.

It seems to me that US travellers can avoid hassle and cost related to Covid-19 test requirements by choosing a flight path that avoids transit in the UK and even avoids transit in EU/Schengen countries. Fly to an international hub in the USA and then directly to Spain.

Flew from California in September (fully vax’d). Pre-tested for FREE at our local airport
But did you fly from California directly to Spain or from California to Portugal / to France / to the UK / to elsewhere? I feel that it may get confusing when it is not clearly stated whether we talk about testing requirements for USA->Spain flights or about testing requirements for USA->other European country flights ...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Correct! At this current moment (and when I flew), pre-flight testing for travel to Spain was unnecessary. The OP was asking about HOW to find testing, so I was answering that question. Given the ever-changing testing landscape, any advice on whether one will need a test four months from now is simply guessing

If I need to buy tests:
Where do I buy it?

Help?
I'm feeling some of this too. When the time is right, get a PCR test, don't fool around with antigen/rapid tests. That said, I'd take a few with you for your own peace of mind to use as needed/if needed. Antigen tests do not have a very long shelf life, so make sure to check the expiration date, and, make sure the test is at room temp when you use it.

I'm both chomping at the bit to tie up loose ends, but also feeling overwhelmed by my to do list. I think largely because I pretty much work 24/ and can't imagine how everything at work, getting my husband and creatures set up for two months, pop in to kiss my grandkids in the bay area, before going into the unknown...is going to get all sorted and accomplished. I sometimes feel a numbness starting to creep in...
BUT...we can do it anniesantiago!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back