• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Travelers from USA . Covid Test question

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD

Gumbolover

Time of past OR future Camino
Traveling from the USA soon. From what I read on Portugal sites, I need a 72-hour PCR test or 24-hour antigen test. My flight goes from San Diego to New York City then I catch flight from New York City to Lisbon. My question is when calculating the 24 or 72 hours, is that 24/72 hours from my originating flight in San Diego or my 2nd flight from NYC?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Traveling from the USA soon. From what I read on Portugal sites, I need a 72-hour PCR test or 24-hour antigen test. My flight goes from San Diego to New York City then I catch flight from New York City to Lisbon. My question is when calculating the 24 or 72 hours, is that 24/72 hours from my originating flight in San Diego or my 2nd flight from NYC?
If the flights are all on one ticket, then the timing is from when your first flight from San Diego boards.

I'm planning on getting a rapid NAAT test from Walgreens, because they give you the results within a few hours, and timing is 72 hours like the standard PCR test. Not all Walgreens do testing, but many do. It seems like they are only booking tests one week in advance.

If the flights are all on one ticket, then the timing is from when your first flight from San Diego boards.
Are you sure about this? When I travelled to Spain, they wanted it timed with arrival in Spain. Is Portugal different? I went to 2 different places to ensure I got the results from one of the tests on time. But then it was harder to find rapid PCR tests. I think I used Walgreens for one - can't remember but maybe CVS for the other. Then I got to the airport and the airline made me do another at the airport! It was beyond stupid - I think the airline staff was confused and my other tests were within the right timeframe - but I did it anyway at JFK before my final flight. Thankfully I don't need it for Spain this time!

Are you sure about this? When I travelled to Spain, they wanted it timed with arrival in Spain. Is Portugal different? I went to 2 different places to ensure I got the results from one of the tests on time. But then it was harder to find rapid PCR tests. I think I used Walgreens for one - can't remember but maybe CVS for the other. Then I got to the airport and the airline made me do another at the airport! It was beyond stupid - I think the airline staff was confused and my other tests were within the right timeframe - but I did it anyway at JFK before my final flight. Thankfully I don't need it for Spain this time!
Yes, I'm sure. This is from the Portuguese website:

Mandatory to present:
- A valid vaccination EU Digital COVID Certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or with a complete vaccination schedule and a vaccine booster)
- Or a valid test or recovery EU Digital COVID Certificate,
- Or a valid vaccination certificate (with a complete vaccination schedule or a vaccine booster) or recovery certificate issued by a third country, under reciprocal conditions
- Or a negative RT-PCR Test (or similar NAAT test) - 72h before boarding, or
- Or a negative Laboratorial Rapid Antigen Test- 24h before boarding

Note that it says before boarding, not before arrival. Also note that a valid vaccination certificate only issued by countries with reciprocal conditions, of which the US is not one.

As mentioned previously, if your all your flights are on the same ticket, your Covid test must be no more than 72 hours before your first flight.
If you’re fully vaccinated, you really do not need a negative Covid test to enter Portugal by air but the airlines will require it before flying.
If you enter Portugal by land, you’ll need a Covid test to get in.

As mentioned previously, if your all your flights are on the same ticket, your Covid test must be no more than 72 hours before your first flight.
Or 24 hours if you do a rapid antigen test.
If you’re fully vaccinated, you really do not need a negative Covid test to enter Portugal by air but the airlines will require it before flying.
Portugal does not accept the US vaccine cards, so testing is required per the Portuguese government. However, I have read recent reports of it not being checked. It seems hit or miss, but always better to be prepared with the test results rather than be turned away at the gate.

This is a good site for keeping updated on requirements to enter different countries.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you enter Portugal by land, you’ll need a Covid test to get in.
Who checks on land if the borders are open?

I am a U.S. Citizen and just flew from JFK to Lisbon. I had to show my Passport and my COVID Vac card only to get where they check your passport in Lisbon. I had my booster shot on 1/23/2022. When I left JFK the airline checked my passport, COVID card, and Passenger Locator Form before I could get on the plane. I left JFK on April 20, 2022 and arrived on the 21st.

I am a U.S. Citizen and just flew from JFK to Lisbon. I had to show my Passport and my COVID Vac card only to get where they check your passport in Lisbon. I had my booster shot on 1/23/2022. When I left JFK the airline checked my passport, COVID card, and Passenger Locator Form before I could get on the plane. I left JFK on April 20, 2022 and arrived on the 21st.
Which airline where you on?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just to be clear, are you saying that NO ONE in either the US or Portugal checked your negative Covid test? And you didn’t upload it to the airline site when checking in? If so, I am very surprised and like poles on planes, you apparently are the exception to a heavily-enforced rule. Perhaps the testing was NOT required back in January? Covid rules change regularly and travelers really need to follow current regulations versus those that are even just a few months old. For example, the passenger locator form is no longer required for Portugal, yet it was required for you.

I have never had a COVID-19 test. I received my original COVID-19 shots in 2021 and my booster In January 2022. I uploaded my Passport and COVID-19 shot record to Delta airlines as soon as I could check in online. I also filled out the Passenger Locater Form on line and sent it to Delta (note the PLF can’t be filled out more than 96 hours before your flight). Delta has a site within there website that lets you know what is required depending on Vac or not and where you are from and where you are going. When I got to JFK ii went to Delta service desk and they asked to see my passport, COVID-19 shot card and PLF, they want all three or won’t let you on plane. When we landed in Lisbon, the initial check was of your passport and COVID-19 shot card. They then let you go to customs (long line) and when I got to there he asked for passport and COVID-19 record card. Then asked where I was coming from (JFK) and how long I was staying in Lisbon; I said 3 days and got passport stamped and on my way. From deplane to luggage pick up 90 minutes most of which was waiting in line. I am spending sometimes. Portugal and the the Camino Norte on April 27, starting in Irun Spain

I have never had a COVID-19 test. I received my original COVID-19 shots in 2021 and my booster In January 2022. I uploaded my Passport and COVID-19 shot record to Delta airlines as soon as I could check in online. I also filled out the Passenger Locater Form on line and sent it to Delta (note the PLF can’t be filled out more than 96 hours before your flight). Delta has a site within there website that lets you know what is required depending on Vac or not and where you are from and where you are going. When I got to JFK ii went to Delta service desk and they asked to see my passport, COVID-19 shot card and PLF, they want all three or won’t let you on plane. When we landed in Lisbon, the initial check was of your passport and COVID-19 shot card. They then let you go to customs (long line) and when I got to there he asked for passport and COVID-19 record card. Then asked where I was coming from (JFK) and how long I was staying in Lisbon; I said 3 days and got passport stamped and on my way. From deplane to luggage pick up 90 minutes most of which was waiting in line. I am spending sometimes. Portugal and the the Camino Norte on April 27, starting in Irun Spain
If I read Delta’s and Portugal’s website correctly, it’s either a vaccination record OR a negative test. If you had the vaccination card, that may be why a test was required.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to be clear, are you saying that NO ONE in either the US or Portugal checked your negative Covid test? And you didn’t upload it to the airline site when checking in? If so, I am very surprised and like poles on planes, you apparently are the exception to a heavily-enforced rule. Perhaps the testing was NOT required back in January? Covid rules change regularly and travelers really need to follow current regulations versus those that are even just a few months old. For example, the passenger locator form is no longer required for Portugal, yet it was required for you.
I think the test is required only for non vaccinated people. But who knows what the truth is on any given day.

As mentioned by Trecile and the site he referenced, the US vaccination card is NOT considered as acceptable proof of vaccination, so a negative Covid test is required for US travelers. Apparently, though, this is not 100% enforced by airlines as noted by Seadog55. I am truly surprised by this. A recent flight (end of March) to London by way of Lisbon required testing even though we were just transiting Portugal.

Since I am vaccinated those are the rules I looked for. Delta wanted to see the card, when I landed in Lisbon the security also wanted to see my vaccination card, all the people that were around me also only had to show the Vac card; don’t know about unvaccinated people. No one wanted to see my PLF. my be the person going on to London had to have a test because England has different rules. Also to let you know Portugal just got rid of the mandatory face mask rule; however there are some exceptions like in nursing homes and busses maybe other places. I am currently at a mall in Lisbon and eating dinner, and the wait staff no longer wearing masks

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
PLF is no longer required as of 4/22/22. England does not require testing from vaccinated travelers.

Per pt.usembassy.gov, it is unclear if testing is required, so they advise it:
“No specific guidance exists indicating if US CDC vaccine card are accepted for proof of vaccination. As such U.S. Embassy Lisbon strongly recommends all U.S. citizens travelling from the United States to Portugal follow option 2, present a negative COVID 19 test before boarding (see below)”

Per visitPortugal.com, the USA card does not meet the reciprocal vax card arrangement, so a negative test is required.

Per the TAP airline site (which uses Sherpa), vaccinated US citizens require a negative test.

In short, it appears that it’s simply what your airline is accepting as proof. US airlines may be okaying the US card, while TAP (a Portuguese airline) is definitely not.

As someone flying to Porto next week, I am planning to stay the course, meaning follow the requirements that existed prior to 21/4, and get a PCR test no earlier than 72 hours prior to boarding time for my TAP flight.

It's not that I am distrustful of what I am reading, but rather I am not confident that I am reading it correctly or, for that matter, if the people in charge at the airlines and passport control share my understanding. Therefore, I plan to take what seems to me the most prudent approach and follow the (less recent) guidelines that I have a greater confidence I understand correctly. At worst, I end up with an extra piece of paper (negative PCR) in my pocket.

The way I'm reading the information from TAP, they may be accepting negative antigen tests 24 hours in advance - not just PCR tests - and, perhaps, even recognizing U.S. vaccination status. I have included the link below.
https://www.flytap.com/en-us/alerts...ordionid=f09bb288-5a14-40a1-85dd-9b4baec90209

In any case, I am - as I suspect all of us who are fortunate to be able to walk a Camino this year are - grateful to be able to go and more than a little excited about it.

Bohm Caminho!

I'm also planning to be tested, since the Portuguese government website still doesn't list the US as being on the list of countries with acceptable vaccine certificates.
The US consulate in Portugal now says this:

Screenshot_20220423-071411_Firefox.jpg

Better to have the test and not need it than vice versa!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm also planning to be tested, since the Portuguese government website still doesn't list the US as being on the list of countries with acceptable vaccine certificates.
The US consulate in Portugal now says this:

View attachment 123435

Better to have the test and not need it than vice versa!
Putting aside the U.S. vaccination card being accepted or not, the 24 hour negative antigen test is a significant change as I see it. The PCR tests, unless you pay a hefty price for the rapid PCR, leave an element of worry about whether one will get the result in time. The negative antigen test (though not as accurate) usually has a result in under a half hour. One step forward.

Putting aside the U.S. vaccination card being accepted or not, the 24 hour negative antigen test is a significant change as I see it. The PCR tests, unless you pay a hefty price for the rapid PCR, leave an element of worry about whether one will get the result in time. The negative antigen test (though not as accurate) usually has a result in under a half hour. One step forward.
The option of a negative antigen test within 24 hours has been in place for months now.
And rapid NAAT tests with results in a few hours are also available, and can be done within 72 hours.

The option of a negative antigen test within 24 hours has been in place for months now.
And rapid NAAT tests with results in a few hours are also available, and can be done within 72 hours.

Negative antigen test for leaving the US (not returning from Portugal to the US) are new to the TAP Portugal site.
I'm flying TAP, so I am paying close attention the updates I'm getting from them. Of course, I am watching other reliable sources closely. And, yes, of course, as I mentioned, you can get a rapid NAAT test. That's generally a PCR where I am.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Negative antigen test for leaving the US (not returning from Portugal to the US) are new to the TAP Portugal site.
I'm flying TAP, so I am paying close attention the updates I'm getting from them. Of course, I am watching other reliable sources closely. And, yes, of course, as I mentioned, you can get a rapid NAAT test. That's generally a PCR where I am.
Yes, but it has been on the Portuguese government site for months. I consider the government site the most reliable, as the other sites only interpret what they read there.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I wish this was more clear. I'm about to spend $150 on a PCR test and it would be nice to save that money:)
Agreed! Im concerned about getting held up by TAP here in the US. And TAP’s site - and the updates they send/post- has not, until 4/22, included the antigen test as an option.

I'm planning on getting a rapid NAAT test from Walgreens, because they give you the results within a few hours, and timing is 72 hours like the standard PCR test. Not all Walgreens do testing, but many do. It seems like they are only booking tests one week in advance.

I’ve seen a flew sites that list travel restrictions where PCR and rapid antigen are the only tests most countries accept. I did not see NAAT tests on there with the exception of Portugal (which would be nice). Have you seen something different? Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.