• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Canada

Zita

Time of past OR future Camino
future Oct 2017
I am getting ready to book my flight etc. Reading the material I have available it looks like the best is to travel from Toronto Ontario Canada to Madrid... is this correct. Also we are looking at taking the train from Madrid to Sarria. Does anyone have any advice as to booking ahead of time etc. thanks

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When are you planning to walk?
Leaving October 12th... I am hearing that Spain is experiencing a hot summer this year, so we are hoping this date might be a little cooler.

Madrid is good and it will be likely the fastest way to get to Sarria however you can often find great prices to London or Paris from Toronto. Extra travel would be needed after with either alternative so it's a matter of what is most precious; time or money!

You have many choices, depending on your travel preferences and where in Canada you are starting from. I look carefully at arrival and departure times so I don't arrive in a strange city at midnight, or need to get up at 3 a.m. for an early flight. This often means I don't get the cheapest flights.

I don't think that the direct Toronto-Madrid flights operate all year. In October you might have to change in one of London, Frankfurt, Munich, Paris, etc.

Keep in mind that if you don't book all connections on a single ticket, and you miss the connection, the airline may not put you on the next flight without charge. That is the risk if you fly a major airline to the first point in Europe and then book a budget airline to Spain.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have noticed that there are good prices for Toronto to Porto! Stay a while and check out this city, and then go to Sarria as follows;
1) Porto to Vigo:
by train: www.cp.pt or
by bus: www.alsa.es

2) Vigo to Lugo
by bus: www.alsa.es

3) Lugo to Sarria
by bus: http://horarios.monbus.es/

It is the very easy to return to Porto from Santiago after your camino.

Hope this helps.

You might want to consider booking accommodation in Sarria before you arrive, I found it very busy around that time, for the rest of the journey you could play it by ear. If you think you need to book you can use Bookin.com the day before.

Think about leaving from somewhere besides Toronto.

A price comparison of flights to Paris:
One-way flight from Toronto to Paris. October 12, WOW airlines with a stop in Iceland: $459 Canadian
One-way from Boston to Orly in Paris by Norwegian Air, October 10. Stops somewhere.: $164.20 US

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you find a flight for less than

One-way flight from Toronto to Paris. October 12, WOW airlines with a stop in Iceland: $459 Canadian
One-way from Boston to Orly in Paris by Norwegian Air, October 10. Stops somewhere.: $164.20 US

The $164 is an amazing price - I have found that less than $800 CAD return including all taxes is a good deal - last year in May there were tickets for $500 return to Vancouver, but they are rare and hard to find, but . . . if you see them, you book them!

flights.google.ca is a great resource. Here is a link below with some dates I threw in, I have discovered Vancouver to Paris is often cheaper than Spain, you then catch a train in Spain . . . (or cheap RyanAir Flight)

https://www.google.ca/flights/#search;f=YYZ,YTZ;t=CDG,ORY,BVA,XHP,XPG;d=2017-10-12;r=2017-11-30

$770 Canadian from Toronto to Paris I also found a $775 flights from Toronto to Lisbon on similar dates.

But how much does it cost to get to Boston? And factor in the added exhaustion from layovers.

Love my direct charter flights on airtranst, in season. Last return flight from Madrid to Toronto is October 15th. Many more options in October from Barcelona, Malaga, Porto.

Fly in direct to Madrid, fly back home from any of Barcelona, Malaga, Porto. Enjoy a few extra days there, or not. Flights from Santiago maybe available.

Last edited by a moderator:
But how much does it cost to get to Boston? And factor in the added exhaustion from layovers.
That's further research and decision making for Zita the OP. And she mentioned "we" and "we" can make it worth a drive.

Zita's question reminded me that I recently heard of new Norwegian Air flights from Boston to Paris so I decided to check this out and also the Toronto to Paris flight for comparison.

Sometime ago Peg and I saved enough on a round-trip Detroit to Europe flight to make worth our while to fly to Detroit from Boston. That is why I mentioned that fares from other cities can be worth the trouble to look up.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
That's further research and decision making for Zita the OP. And she mentioned "we" and "we" can make it worth a drive.

Zita's question reminded me that I recently heard of new Norwegian Air flights from Boston to Paris so I decided to check this out and also the Toronto to Paris flight for comparison.

Sometime ago Peg and I saved enough on a round-trip Detroit to Europe flight to make worth our while to fly to Detroit from Boston. That is why I mentioned that fares from other cities can be worth the trouble to look up.

Definitely!

If you have time and resources to see a little more of Spain - we flew Toronto to Bilbao direct - loved Bilbao! Then train to San Sebastian (ditto) and bus to Pamplona and SJPP.

If you have time and resources to see a little more of Spain - we flew Toronto to Bilbao direct - loved Bilbao! Then train to San Sebastian (ditto) and bus to Pamplona and SJPP.
But she is walking from Sarria.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am getting ready to book my flight etc. Reading the material I have available it looks like the best is to travel from Toronto Ontario Canada to Madrid... is this correct. Also we are looking at taking the train from Madrid to Sarria. Does anyone have any advice as to booking ahead of time etc. thanks

Consider Air Canada to Bilbao (BIO). Might be less expensive, and shorter ground travel involved.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.