• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Ireland

Declan Breen

Hi, I'm planning on walking the camino mid to late September and just looking for some information on travel arrangements from Ireland. I'm a full time student and just about to finish my post grad so have decided that the camino would be a perfect way to do something 'relaxing' after the last four years of study and work with no breaks. So, I want to get there and back without it costing a fortune, I know ryaniair fly to Biarritz from Dublin but they do not fly direct from Santiago. Does anyone know of the cheapest way for me to get home?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Ryanair do not fly Santiago to Dublin but are lingus and are still flying I'm Oct you can get for as little as 50 e.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Declan,
I am heading over shortly to start in SJPP. Ryanair into Biarritz. Aer Lingus home from Santiago. Prices are a bit higher than when I booked earlier in the year.
Option 2 for you is bus from Santiago to Oporto which is 2.5 hours south. http://www.alsa.es/en. for €31

Then Ryanair to Dublin for around €40. So you are not confined to leaving from Santiago and you get to travel down the coast into Portugal for a little diversion! Ger

Hi Declan, I'm going to be starting my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago in a couple of weeks. I'm flying with Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz and then back with Aer Lingus from Santiago to Dublin, seems to be the best/cheapest option! Check out the websites - the earlier you book with Ryanair the better; the Aer Lingus Flights can be under 50euro but finish early November, the 2nd I think... Don't know it this suits your time frame! All the best with it ;)

Hi Declan,
I am heading over shortly to start in SJPP. Ryanair into Biarritz. Aer Lingus home from Santiago. Prices are a bit higher than when I booked earlier in the year.
Option 2 for you is bus from Santiago to Oporto which is 2.5 hours south. http://www.alsa.es/en. for €31

Then Ryanair to Dublin for around €40. So you are not confined to leaving from Santiago and you get to travel down the coast into Portugal for a little diversion! Ger
Thanks

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Declan, I'm going to be starting my first Camino from SJPP to Santiago in a couple of weeks. I'm flying with Ryanair from Dublin to Biarritz and then back with Aer Lingus from Santiago to Dublin, seems to be the best/cheapest option! Check out the websites - the earlier you book with Ryanair the better; the Aer Lingus Flights can be under 50euro but finish early November, the 2nd I think... Don't know it this suits your time frame! All the best with it ;)
Thanks, this seems to be the easiest option. I'm thinking of leaving here on the 16th Sept and booking my return flight for around the 20th Oct. Just finished my thesis this morning so I haven't had much time to do research, I might need longer than 4.5/5 weeks to complete as I've spent most of the last 12 months at a desk :p

Hi Declan, Aer Lingus flights from Santiago to Dublin finish on 25th October, after that its Ryanair to Stanstead and home or as Beeker said a train to Oporto and home from there.
Have a great Camino and enjoy the way.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I flew from Santiago via Madrid to Dublin October last year. I had it booked before I left but if should be easy to find connecting flights even after you're done, if you have no schedule. I found flying to Madrid was actually cheaper than the bus, train, or renting a car. However, if you want to explore Madrid or any other city before flying out that, might not matter. Enjoy your camino!

Hi Declan,

I only booked the outward journey (to Biarritz ) as I wasn't sure how far I would get or how long it would take. Around Leon I was confident I would finish and picked a date I knew I could manage and my daughter sorted out flights home via Madrid. As the others have said above there are options when you get to Santiago. I would worry about homeward travel a bit further down the Way.

Enjoy your Camino :):)

Hi Declan,

I live in Kerry and following some research, got a flight from Santiago to Alicante for €25 with Ryanair and Alicante to Kerry, Ryanair again for €50. Doing it this way has saved me a train journey from Dublin to Kerry and also get the opportunity to spend a night in Alicante.

Brian.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I'm planning on walking the camino mid to late September and just looking for some information on travel arrangements from Ireland. I'm a full time student and just about to finish my post grad so have decided that the camino would be a perfect way to do something 'relaxing' after the last four years of study and work with no breaks. So, I want to get there and back without it costing a fortune, I know ryaniair fly to Biarritz from Dublin but they do not fly direct from Santiago. Does anyone know of the cheapest way for me to get home?

Declan,

Congrats on your academic achievement. It appears you now have many suggestions on getting to the beginning of your Camino and you might have already left by now. I will say this, walking the Camino was the hardest thing I have ever done. Be prepared and here is my hope you have a wonderful experience. Even though it was hard I will never forget it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Buen Camino,
Renee

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Declan,
I think aer lingus fly to Dublin from Santiago. I won't make it to Santiago (starting next wk) so I booked my v cheap return from Madrid with Ryanair because wherever I end up, I figure it will be possible to find my way there without too much difficulty.
Buen camino!
Robert

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back