• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

traveling from Madrid to St. Jean Pied de Port

Amanda manning

Time of past OR future Camino
plan to walk july 2017
Hi

I will be arriving in Madrid from Australia in early july and spending the night in Madrid , I was wondering the best way to get to St. Jean Pied de Port from there. I'm not sure if it is best to get the train or the bus and hoping someone can help.

thank you :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you arrive in Madrid in the morning before 9 am, there is a a bus Alsa going to SJPDP about 10:30 am from the airport, and that probably would be the easiest. But if you arrive late or want to stay overnight in madrid, this would not help.

SJPdP is connected to Bayonne by SNCF train usually 4 times daily all year.

SJPdP is connected to Pamplona by CONDA bus operated by ALSA. Service is seasonal varying from none in winter to 4 or more in summer.

Best way

Fly Madrid to Biarritz BIQ or San Sebastian EAS.

From Biarritz take Chronoplus bus #14 to Gare Bayonne

From EAS take taxi 5 km to Gare d'Hendaye. Then take SNCF train from Hendaye to Bayonne.

From Bayonne take SNCF train to SJPdP.

Cheapest

Renfe train from Madrid Atocha to Pamplona. Or,

Autocares PLM bus or ALSA bus from Madrid Intercambiador de Avenida de America to Pamplona. ALSA has a transfer at Soria.

CONDA (ALSA) bus from Pamplona to SJPdP.

Alternate (if you can't get to Pamplona to catch the last bus to SJPdP because first train from Bayonne leaves at 0745. CONDA bus from Pamplona arrives too late to start walk)

Renfe train from Madrid Chamartin or Atocha (origin depends on route taken) to Irun/Hendaye, Or,

ALSA bus from Madrid Avenida de America to San Sebastian, and Renfe Cercanias from San Sebastian to Irun.

If needed take Metro from Irun Colon to Hendaia. Colon is located across the bridge over tracks from Irun Renfe Station. Hendaia is co-located with Gare d'Hendaye.

From Hendaye as described

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm also arriving in early July. I'm traveling with a friend, and we'll spend the night in Madrid, then I've booked the 11:35 train to Pamplona. We'll be jet lagged, so we didn't want to get up early for the earlier train.
However we won't arrive in Pamplona for the afternoon bus to SJPDP, so we'll splurge on a taxi. I'll probably pre-arrange the taxi through this company, as they will try to match us up with other pilgrims to split the cost.

I'm also arriving in early July. I'm traveling with a friend, and we'll spend the night in Madrid, then I've booked the 11:35 train to Pamplona. We'll be jet lagged, so we didn't want to get up early for the earlier train.
However we won't arrive in Pamplona for the afternoon bus to SJPDP, so we'll splurge on a taxi. I'll probably pre-arrange the taxi through this company, as they will try to match us up with other pilgrims to split the cost.

Consider the Pilgrim office closes soon after the last bus or train arrives. You won't be able to rely on them to find accommodations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you arrive in Madrid in the morning before 9 am, there is a a bus Alsa going to SJPDP about 10:30 am from the airport, and that probably would be the easiest. But if you arrive late or want to stay overnight in madrid, this would not help.
Where can I get info on this bus.

I'm flying into Madrid Aug. 30 at 7:30 in the morning. The train to Pamplona doesn't leave until 11:00. I just don't want to sit in the airport for 31/2 hours. I have a reservation in SJPDP for that evening. I'm planning to rent a car and driving to Pamplona and Taxi over to SJPDP. tominrm mentioned a bus directly from Madrid to SJPDP. If anyone has info on the bus or a better way to get to SJPDP please send any info. THANKS

Where can I get info on this bus.
Sorry if I am too late for you.
There is bus terminal at the airport Terminal 4. You go the in the morning and you will see the info on the monitor. Buy your ticket from the machine outside where the buses stop.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is bus terminal at the airport Terminal 4. You go the in the morning and you will see the info on the monitor. Buy your ticket from the machine outside where the buses stop.
Doesn't that bus go to Pamplona? You then have to get another bus to SJPDP.

is there a website I could check to see the bus timings?

I'm staying overnight Apr. 24th '18, coming from India. Hostel is close, so can catch the 10:30am Alsa bus the next morn..do you know? can I pre book??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm staying overnight Apr. 24th '18, coming from India. Hostel is close, so can catch the 10:30am Alsa bus the next morn..do you know? can I pre book??
I plan to arrive in Madrid around May 16th (in the early morning) and am wondering as well if I need to pre book the Alsa bus. Am I risking not getting a seat if I try to get a ticket when I arrive?

I'm flying into Madrid Aug. 30 at 7:30 in the morning. The train to Pamplona doesn't leave until 11:00. I just don't want to sit in the airport for 31/2 hours. I have a reservation in SJPDP for that evening. I'm planning to rent a car and driving to Pamplona and Taxi over to SJPDP. tominrm mentioned a bus directly from Madrid to SJPDP. If anyone has info on the bus or a better way to get to SJPDP please send any info. THANKS

I arrive in Madrid at 7:30 and I walk out of Terminal 4 and onto a bus to Pamplona at 10:45 for around €26.
Go to www.movelia.es to see the schedule and buy tickets.
You can't use the calendar to set the date; you must type it in using day/mo/year then slide the little arrow to the right to see the bus schedules.

I plan to arrive in Madrid around May 16th (in the early morning) and am wondering as well if I need to pre book the Alsa bus. Am I risking not getting a seat if I try to get a ticket when I arrive?
I arrive on May 16 (maybe on the same plane) and I've booked the 10:45 bus to Pamplona. Usually, I'd say don't bother, but the Camino is getting more and more busy. Are you going to Pamplona or to SJPP? From Pamplona you can catch a bus to SJPP. Or there's also a bus directly to SJPP from Madrid airport. See the post above for instructions to buy the bus ticket. If you're going to Pamplona, you're welcome to ride with my friend and I - If you don't have a set schedule, you could also share a taxi to SJPP with us on the morning of the 19th PM me for more info

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I always pre-booked online and printed my boarding pass.
I booked straight from the ALSA website.

Because my C.C. was hacked booking Roncesvalles on-line, my C.C.Co. cancelled my entire Spring Camino! So I switched to Fall ! Sept! 7th, I arrive in St Jean P.d.P., Goddess willing, of course ! ! : ) Never walked in Sept. before !! Mt Spanish friend said it's nice then!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back