• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traveling from Madrid to St. Jean

Orafo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Francés, SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2013); Planned: Camino del Salvador-Camino Primitivo-Camino Francés-Camino Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2014)
I plan to leave the US on 22 September and arrive in Madrid the morning of the 23d. I would welcome feedback on the following plan for getting from Barajas airport to St. Jean Pied-de-Port:
I arrive on Delta at 08:35, Terminal 1;
I claim my baggage (just trekking poles and a small knife, since I can't carry them along, apparently) and make my way to Terminal 4;
I take the 10:45 bus from Barajas T4 to Pamplona, arriving in Pamplona at 15:30;
I take the 17:30 bus from Pamplona to St. Jean (the ALSA site says that this bus will still be running then), arriving at 19:15, and make my way to some as-yet undetermined lodging for the night (perhaps spending two nights in St. Jean).
So, do those times sound realistic? My limited experience with Spanish buses (from a trip last fall) is that they are pretty efficient, comfortable, reasonably priced, and reliable -- but I may be overlooking some unforeseen pitfall. All feedback will be welcomed!
Gracias,
Frank

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Let me add a brief question to the ones I asked above: Does anyone see a problem in waiting to buy my bus tickets after arrival at the Madrid airport? Thanks.

You should be able to buy bus tickets just prior to boarding unless you are travelling on a holiday.

I would suggest your time appreciation from plane to bus is tight. It assumes plane arrives on time, baggage, customs, and shuttle to T4 work like clockwork. Do you have a backup plan in the event of missing your planned bus?

Have you considered getting a bus or train (renfe and SNCF) from Madrid to Bayonne and travelling from Bayonne to SJPdP by TER train? That would likely allow more flexibility in your timings.

Bus planning would involve Madrid to Burgos, Burgos to San Sebastion, San Sebastion to Bayona.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Orafo said:
I plan to leave the US on 22 September and arrive in Madrid the morning of the 23d. I would welcome feedback on the following plan for getting from Barajas airport to St. Jean Pied-de-Port:
I arrive on Delta at 08:35, Terminal 1;
I claim my baggage (just trekking poles and a small knife, since I can't carry them along, apparently) and make my way to Terminal 4;
I take the 10:45 bus from Barajas T4 to Pamplona, arriving in Pamplona at 15:30;
I take the 17:30 bus from Pamplona to St. Jean (the ALSA site says that this bus will still be running then), arriving at 19:15, and make my way to some as-yet undetermined lodging for the night (perhaps spending two nights in St. Jean).

We're doing pretty much the same, except for the date and the fact that we've elected to spend one night in Pamplona to catch up on jet lag before proceeding to SJPP the following day. That gives a little lee-way in case we don't make it on the 10:45 bus from Barajas airport.

Thanks, Whariwharangi. I appreciate that cautionary advice. My backup plan probably would be either to take the shuttle train from the airport into Atocha, then catch a train to Pamplona (there's one at 11:35). Or take a later bus (13:15) to Pamplona and spend the night there. I had not thought of going to St. Jean via Bayonne, frankly. When I look at the RENFE site for international trains and plug in Bayonne (Bayona) as a destination city, the site reports "no links found." So I'm not sure how to research the schedule and cost for that route.

Best,

Frank

Another option that might be easier, might be to take a train from Madrid to Irun. Then the Euskatren (10 minutes, 1 euro) to Hendaye. From Hendaye you can get an hourly train 30 minutes to Bayonne. Which then makes it easy to get to SJPDP by train, taxi, or bus.....all cheaper and easier than trying to cross the border by taxi or bus.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Orafo said:
Thanks, Whariwharangi. I appreciate that cautionary advice. My backup plan probably would be either to take the shuttle train from the airport into Atocha, then catch a train to Pamplona (there's one at 11:35). Or take a later bus (13:15) to Pamplona and spend the night there. I had not thought of going to St. Jean via Bayonne, frankly. When I look at the RENFE site for international trains and plug in Bayonne (Bayona) as a destination city, the site reports "no links found." So I'm not sure how to research the schedule and cost for that route.

Best,

Frank

Taking the train looks more complicated than it is. Spain and France (and Eusketren) run different Rail Gauges so its necessary to transfer at the border. Renfe runs trains from Madrid to Irun. As Waveprof pointed out Eusketren (basically a series of commuter trains) runs from Irun to Hendaye every half hour. Apparently it is 3km from Irun to Hendaye or about 40 minutes to walk.

SNCF runs its fast TGV series from Irun so its just a matter of crossing the platform. Its regional TER 61 trains run from Hendaye. From Irun/Hendaye you travel to Gare Bayonne and transfer to the TER 62 to SJPdP.

Spain has a good network of comfortable buses. I like the train service even better.

If you do take the train make sure you go from the airport to the right train station in Madrid. There are two: Atocha and Chamartin. You figure that out by clicking on the train ie -Alvia-. The direct trains to Irun leave from Chamartin. Trains leaving from Atocha require a transfer at Zaragoza.

I found these links helpful:

Irun train station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irun_railway_station

Hendaye train station:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_d%27Hendaye

Renfe website:
http://www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

A website with maps for the Renfe train system. Unfortunately it does not have a map showing routes in the North West (including Santiago) :
http://www.getspain-spain.com/renfe-train-maps.html

EuskoTren
http://www.euskotren.es/

Wikipedia description of EuskoTren
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuskoTren

SNCF website:
http://www.sncf.com/en/passengers

SNCF TER Acquitaine description
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TER_Aquitaine

Gare Bayonne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gare_de_Bayonne

The closest airport to SJPdP is Biarritz/Bayonne.

Biarritz airport (BIQ)
http://en.biarritz.aeroport.fr/

If you already have tickets to Madrid its too late. But if you don't then try flying to one of the centers that have regular flights to Biarritz. Paris or London for example.

It is possible to fly from Madrid to San Sebastion but it looks to be an expensive option.

San Sebastian Airport (EAS)
http://www.aena-aeropuertos.es/csee/Sat ... astian/en/

From San Sebastion airport there are frequent buses to Irun where you can catch the train.

That is very helpful, Whariwharangi, and I really appreciate your going to the trouble to provide those links. You're right that it's too late for me to change my flight, having bought the ticket to Madrid, but I will look into other ways to get from there to St. Jean.

This morning at a local pilgrims' group meeting I talked to a friend who went last year at nearly exactly when I plan to go, and she had no problem getting from Barajas T1 to T4 after picking up checked luggage and clearing immigration and customs. She even had time for breakfast before boarding the bus. But one never knows, and my flight could be late in landing.

Thanks also to Wafeprof for the suggestion about going to Irun. Unfortunately, according to the RENFE site, the ones from Madrid leave at 08:00 and 16:05, thus either too early or too late to work for me.

I like both Spanish buses and trains and would just like to do whatever is simplest and gets me to St. Jean on the day I land in Spain, ideally.

Muchísimas gracias.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Orafo said:
would just like to do whatever is simplest and gets me to St. Jean on the day I land in Spain, ideally.
Fair enough, but I hope you are at least considering spending two nights in SJPdP in that case.

I think one of the biggest regrets I heard spoken on the Camino were people who started walking too soon after flying. Even if you usually don't get jetlag (I usually don't), starting the camino after a big flight can lead to even more fatigue than the camino should bring.

We spent a night in Madrid upon landing AND two nights in SJPdP before our planned step-off day. I get that most don't have the luxury of waiting that long, but I'd personally advise against going all the way to SJPdP the same day you land, and then stepping off the next morning.

Take a day and see SJPdP (one of the best towns along the entire camino), get your credentials, get the lay of the land, and then leave the next day better rested. Just my thoughts.

I fully agree, and I have planned to spend two nights in St. Jean. I'm looking forward to enjoying the village. I once lived in southern France and will appreciate reconnecting a bit with it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Orafo said:
I fully agree, and I have planned to spend two nights in St. Jean. I'm looking forward to enjoying the village. I once lived in southern France and will appreciate reconnecting a bit with it.
If only SJPdP were in France :lol:

Just being ornery. Enjoy your time in SJPdP, and buen camino.

Touché! C'est le Pays Basque, pas vraiment la France. Quand même . . .

Hello Orafo

Just wondering what the cost was of your original plan [busing from Madrid to Pamplna to St Jean?]. I wish to start from St Jean next year, and am tossing up between landing in Paris and taking trains to St Jean, or following your plan and landing in Madrid, then busing.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alan,

All I really know about the price is what I see on the ALSA bus website. For my dates of travel, the fare from Madrid/Barajas T4 to Pamplona is shown as 30.84€, and the fare from Pamplona to St. Jean is 20€. I do not know whether ALSA allows discounts for senior citizens, as RENFE does, but I suppose I'll find that out at the airport bus counter.

Here's the ALSA website (English language option): http://www.alsa.es/en

Note that there is a different portion of the ALSA website for international bus travel. Here's a link:
http://www.alsa.es/en?searchType=international

Also, the quotes for both fares include this information: "These prices do not include administrative costs (1.03 € for national tickets less than 10 €, 2.60 € for national tickets above 10 € and 1.00 € for international tickets). These prices include 10% VAT." So I suppose my total cost should be around 54.44€, barring some senior discount similar to the RENFE tarjeta dorada. I traveled by bus in Spain last fall, but I just can't remember about the discount.

I think you'll find folks divided in their opinions on the merits of flying into Paris and taking the train, or into Madrid and going by bus or train. For me, the fare to Madrid was cheaper, and the bus connections seem less complicated than the train (though I like both). For travel from your home country, the situation could be different.

Buen Camino next year!

Frank

the fare from Pamplona to St. Jean is 20€
You will need to check closer to May 2014; ALSA may not start this service by the date of your arrival. This year, they did not start service until the beginning of June (the dates are in bold below).

Pamplona Saint Jean De Pied De Port 08:00 09:45 1h 45min 20.0€ 16/07/2013 31/08/2013 LMXJVSD
Pamplona Saint Jean De Pied De Port 14:00 15:45 1h 45min 20.0€ 01/06/2013 30/09/2013 LMXJVSD
Pamplona Saint Jean De Pied De Port 17:30 19:15 1h 45min 20.0€ 01/06/2013 30/09/2013 LMXJVSD

I landed in Madrid on May 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM from the United States. We had plenty of time to get to the bus ticket counter and get our bus tickets for Pamplona. We took the 10:45 AM bus to Pamplona. On the bus my son and I met 3 other people wanting to go to St. Jean. All 5 of us rode in one cab from Pamplona to St. Jean for 100 Euro so 20 Euro each. We didn't have to get a hotel in Pamplona and wait for the next day's 2 pm bus to St. Jean. Before I left the US I was quoted 130 Euro but when I got to Pamplona, I asked if anyone wanted to take 5 to St. Jean. The cab driver got a piece of paper out of his cab that had listed his prices to various places and showed us 100 to St. Jean. I felt lucky to have filled the cab and arrived in St. Jean the same day. We stayed overnight in St. Jean and began walking the next morning.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That's helpful info, Createspace. My flight will land (if on time) at 08:35. Do you think that would have left you enough time to have caught the 10:45 bus to Pamplona?
Frank

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back